Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: springalong
Stats: 205/180/130
WOE: LFL
I love my chia seeds!

I use them as a protein shake in the am. I soak them overnight, as I was told by someone, to get the benefit they need time to absorb the water or liquid. Its easy, just pull them out of the fridge and viola!
springalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #122
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CAAK
Awesome vegan gravy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHat View Post
Hmm... does anyone know if adding this to the turkey drippings would produce a gravy like quality? Maybe mix in a little heavy cream...? I'm totally set with doing my thanksgiving low carb but I am a gravy FIEND... I have it over EVERYTHING on thanksgiving... and am scrambling for a good healthy low carb option!
I made gravy for turkey dinner using veggi broth,spices,soy sauce and used
ground quinoa as the thicker.
Absolutely delicious
CAAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Tuscanytrace
Stats: 208.8/172.6/113 5'1.5"
WOE: Atkins 1972,VCO, WAPF/whole foods,
Start Date: Oct 15, 06/restart 5/07/ restart 3/08
We got home late tonight, and I'm having a migraine so I didn't cook (and my husband, who was supposed to make dinner, went to a friend's house instead). So I had some whey protein powder but grabbed heavy cream instead of the almond milk carton (because he moved it, and I was having visual disturbances from the migraine).

I added some chia seeds, and what I ended up with was a very filling pudding! Really hit the spot.

It was:
1 scoop whey protein powder (Mercola's Pure Power)
about 12 ounces of heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds

I just have to remember to drink extra water, as chia seeds will absorb up to 9 times their weight in water and can leave you constipated if you're not careful!
Tuscanytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #124
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
subscribe to resurrect. Walgreens had free after register rewards this week.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
Just bought a pound of Chia seeds this weekend at Walgreens. Cost was $10.00, BUT I got $10 in register rewards, so it really was free! Gotta love it!
I love Chia in my yogurt, but have not tried the gel as a protein filler yet.
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #126
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
subscribe to resurrect. Walgreens had free after register rewards this week.
I saw that too and thought "I need to get me some" Then reading this thread reminded me that I bought something called "Salba" from Kroger the other week. They were clearancing out the Salba in the natural foods section when I was there one week and I bought at least a bag, if not 2. I found it and it was reduced to $7 from $11.99 I think that is steep for a little 6.4 oz bag, but it was reduced and caught my eye. I didn't make it to Walgreen's to try theirs, so I am glad I have some already.

Last edited by dawnyama; 11-29-2011 at 11:40 AM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie75 View Post
Just bought a pound of Chia seeds this weekend at Walgreens. Cost was $10.00, BUT I got $10 in register rewards, so it really was free! Gotta love it!
I love Chia in my yogurt, but have not tried the gel as a protein filler yet.
It has been suprisingly good sprinkled on my lettuce salads........but I haven't tried the gel either.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flossie73
I recently used some in a homemade salad dressing:
Becky's Place: Day 82 & 83
2Tbsp lime juice
2Tbsp light olive oil
1Tbsp xylitol
2 packets stevia
2tsp chia seeds
flossie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #129
Big Yapper!!!!

made gel....put a little in my omelet this morning
Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
It has been suprisingly good sprinkled on my lettuce salads........but I haven't tried the gel either.
I like the gel too. Put. In my omelet and soups
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I really like chia pudding. So far that is all I have done with them. Sort of like tapioca.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #132
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymyra View Post
I really like chia pudding. So far that is all I have done with them. Sort of like tapioca.
I really like that is great source of fiber, which is biggest possible issue with my low carb diet.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
I add 1 tsp. of chia seeds to my pan fried mock danish and let the batter sit for a while. OMG...what a fabulous way to get some extra fiber!!!
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
I add 1 tsp. of chia seeds to my pan fried mock danish and let the batter sit for a while. OMG...what a fabulous way to get some extra fiber!!!
I think they are wonderful and potential uses seem quite plentiful. I really like them so far
Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
OK Donna, you know you have to tell us how you make that!!!
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
OK Donna, you know you have to tell us how you make that!!!
LOL Billie!!! This is a very old recipe from years ago. I did NOT name it, and it really tastes more like french toast to me, but I find it really satisfying and delicious.

2 oz. cream cheese (full fat or neufchatel works)
1 TB vanilla protein powder
1 whole large egg
1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
Butter for frying and topping

In a small bowl mush up the cream cheese and protein powder with a fork until blended. Add the egg and beat well with the fork (or you can use a stick blender if you prefer) until the batter is smooth. Add the chia seed and set aside for about 15 mins (longer is fine too, but I can't wait!)

In a small, non-stick frying pan (about 8"), heat on medium to medium low (my preference is medium low) and melt a little butter to thoroughly coat the pan. When it sizzles, add the batter, scraping every last bit into the pan. Allow too cook until the underside is golden to your liking. Using a wide pancake turner, flip the danish over and allow to cook for a few minutes until that side is just starting to turn golden. Turn out onto a plate, butter and top with your choice of berries, sweetener or LC syrup.

Don't overcook it or the texture will be dry. I LOVE this topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream...OMG!!! Today I had it with powdered erythritol and frozen blueberries - luscious.

The texture and taste of this reminds me of french toast, I swear! And I would probably eat it with cinnamon and syrup if I were eating like my high carb days, but that's not happening anytime soon!

Edited to add: Since I gave up flax seed, I have tried to find ways to increase my fiber intake. While I get a lot of fiber in fruits and veggies, because I don't eat many grains, I've found that supplementing with chia here and there really helps "things" move along...if you get my meaning...

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...

Last edited by RVcook; 12-25-2011 at 02:27 PM..
Old 12-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
LOL Billie!!! This is a very old recipe from years ago. I did NOT name it, and it really tastes more like french toast to me, but I find it really satisfying and delicious.

2 oz. cream cheese (full fat or neufchatel works)
1 TB vanilla protein powder
1 whole large egg
1 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
Butter for frying and topping

In a small bowl mush up the cream cheese and protein powder with a fork until blended. Add the egg and beat well with the fork (or you can use a stick blender if you prefer) until the batter is smooth. Add the chia seed and set aside for about 15 mins (longer is fine too, but I can't wait!)

In a small, non-stick frying pan (about 8"), heat on medium to medium low (my preference is medium low) and melt a little butter to thoroughly coat the pan. When it sizzles, add the batter, scraping every last bit into the pan. Allow too cook until the underside is golden to your liking. Using a wide pancake turner, flip the danish over and allow to cook for a few minutes until that side is just starting to turn golden. Turn out onto a plate, butter and top with your choice of berries, sweetener or LC syrup.

Don't overcook it or the texture will be dry. I LOVE this topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream...OMG!!! Today I had it with powdered erythritol and frozen blueberries - luscious.

The texture and taste of this reminds me of french toast, I swear! And I would probably eat it with cinnamon and syrup if I were eating like my high carb days, but that's not happening anytime soon!

Edited to add: Since I gave up flax seed, I have tried to find ways to increase my fiber intake. While I get a lot of fiber in fruits and veggies, because I don't eat many grains, I've found that supplementing with chia here and there really helps "things" move along...if you get my meaning...
sounds terrific....I will try with SF syrup and cinamon
Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Donna! That sounds good!
That 15 minute wait thing is a bummer tho! LOL
Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Thanks Donna! That sounds good!
That 15 minute wait thing is a bummer tho! LOL
You could skip that part if you soaked the chia seeds ahead of time to really activate their 'gelling' properties and then just add in a tablespoonful of chia gel, but I've never tried it. The original recipe didn't have it in it...I just like to find ways to supplement my diet with extra fiber and this was pretty easy.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Donna! I usually keep chia gel in my fridge. (Keyword is usually.)

That recipe sans the chia is similar to one I've made (used to make a lot) for faux french toast. It didn't have the protein powder, which I think would be a great addition.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #141
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kublin
Just started using chia seeds,it does seem to make me feel full sooner. Got fresh blue berries so added a little honey and soaked chia seeds and cooked it. Good by itself or added to yogert. These are not the same as the ones you use for chia pets. I also whipped up some eggs put soaked seeds in it let it cook in fry pan, just keep loosening edges, sprinkled some cheese poped under broiler to finish, great hot but cut some peices for snack
kublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

You're going to love them kublin...and welcome to the forums!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kublin View Post
Just started using chia seeds,it does seem to make me feel full sooner. Got fresh blue berries so added a little honey and soaked chia seeds and cooked it. Good by itself or added to yogert. These are not the same as the ones you use for chia pets. I also whipped up some eggs put soaked seeds in it let it cook in fry pan, just keep loosening edges, sprinkled some cheese poped under broiler to finish, great hot but cut some peices for snack
Yes, they are the same. No one knew you could eat them way back when they first came out with chia pets...I wouldn't advise eating your chia pet though. LOL
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Yes, they are the same. No one knew you could eat them way back when they first came out with chia pets...I wouldn't advise eating your chia pet though. LOL
Yes, they are the same, but the ones that come with the chia pet, might possibly have a coating such as fertilizer on them. It isn't recommended tht you eat those. (Some may be pure seeds, but I'd be a little leery. Besides even as expensive as chia seeds are, those are probably even higher priced!) You can use all chia seeds to make chia pets!
And the "grass" that is grown is edible too! I've never eaten it tho. Never even grown any.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I bet you are right, they must add fertilizer or something to make them grow so fast. I've never tried sprouting chia seeds...it might be a fun experiment.

I got curious and looked up the plant. Here's a pic for anyone interested.

Now I'm wondering if we could grow our own chia seeds?

Last edited by Nigel; 07-30-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump for the chia interests
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mews
I want to try the chia seed but would like to know if there is a difference between the black or white besides the color?
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
There is no difference in nutrition. The white seeds are easier to hide in foods and the dark ones are cheaper. I use the dark ones.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
I want to try the chia seed but would like to know if there is a difference between the black or white besides the color?
From - Chia: The Complete Guide To The Ultimate Superfood by Wayne Coates, PhD (page 70):

"Anyone who has looked into chia has probably heard of Salba. This is the trademarked name for white chia, which as originally planted and then produced in Peru. Tests have shown that white and black chia seeds have essentially the same composition, however, black seeds have higher levels of antioxidants."
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mews
Quote:
From - Chia: The Complete Guide To The Ultimate Superfood by Wayne Coates, PhD (page 70):

"Anyone who has looked into chia has probably heard of Salba. This is the trademarked name for white chia, which as originally planted and then produced in Peru. Tests have shown that white and black chia seeds have essentially the same composition, however, black seeds have higher levels of antioxidants."
Thanks for ihe info I will get the black seeds
mews is offline   Reply With Quote