Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Bergenfield Cocoa (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/498353-bergenfield-cocoa.html)

Bfranke 06-08-2007 07:56 AM

Bergenfield Cocoa

When there were some postings about Cocoa awhile ago, I did some Net searching and found a place to buy this Dutched Cocoa.
Yesterday I ordered Grand Guayacan, Royal Mahagony, and Vintage Lacewood...12# in all!!! Should keep me in cocoa for several years, I suspect. Anyway, it was less expensive to buy this than the Hershey that I have been buying @ $3.18/8 oz. The 12# came to $57.34, including shipping, making it $4.78/#. Now I can hardly wait for it to get here so I can make more brownies, chocolate cake, cookies, what ever I can come up with.
Bette

rexsreine 06-08-2007 08:35 AM

Oh, boy, Bette, have you got me salivating! I love cocoa. Taterhead just sent me a recipe for brownies (a little applesauce in them for moistness and reduction of calories) that I'm dying to try. Sounds like one of your cocoas would be perfect. I may have to buy more goodies for pantry-stuffing...:)

Ginny

Bfranke 06-08-2007 09:26 AM

Ginny, I think most of us here are pantry stuffers!! But, I have never bought any really good cocoa, so I can hardly wait. I really like Kevin's Zucchini Brownies...at least I do the second batch. First I used the 2 c of Carbquik. I cannot stand that much of it in a recipe, so the second time, I used 1 c of the New Improved Jena Marie cake flour and 90 g of the Carbquik. It was much better. I also used 4 T Z-trim w/3 T coconut oil for the fat, and Egg Substitute for the eggs. For sweeteners, I used 1/2 c xylitol, 1/16 t stevia and 1 Splenda Quick Pak. And I added 2 T of Expresso powder. I baked in a 9 x 13 pan, got 12 big brownies, for a calorie count of 119 and a little over 5 net carbs. Next time I plan to use coconut, no pecans.
I will continue making these, so was going to have to buy cocoa anyway!!
Bette

rexsreine 06-08-2007 10:45 AM

Wow, Bette. Thanks for the update on that recipe. I just love it when somebody else does the tweaking! I think you and I have similar taste buds when it comes to Carbquik/Carbalose - always having to find something to dilute them! I haven't tried the zucchini brownies yet but will very soon. You're obviously one of the good bakers on this board and experienced in LC, so I trust you!:)

Ginny

Bfranke 06-08-2007 10:52 AM

:blush: Thanks Ginny. I do have problems with the alternative flours taste!
Bette

Julievan 06-08-2007 11:11 AM

Bette, is Jenna Maries a flour you make yourself if so could you post the ingredients. thanks

25inmymind 06-08-2007 11:35 AM

Julievan,

You used to be able to buy it online, but that site no longer works (I tried.)

Here is a link to a previous post that has the recipe (about halfway down the thread)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ar.../t-433374.html

HTH

Teri

Bfranke 06-08-2007 01:53 PM

Actually, I am posting it from the URL that was just listed. Seems she is no longer online. I always use my own ingredients, some from Netriton, some from Honeyvillegrains. The resistant starch that we used to use was the Corn, but I am sure the Wheat would be even better. The WPI, is the 5000. I keep a batch mixed up. When I subbed for the Carbquik, I added another teaspoon of Baking Powder. Nothing else extra. The taste of this is much milder than the Carbalose or Carbquik.

Recipe By: Jena Marie
Quantity : 7 cups

1 1/2 cups Jena Marie's Resistant Starch
1 1/4 cups Jena Marie's Wheat Protein Isolate
1 3/4 cups Jena Marie's Oat Flour
2 1/2 cups Jena Marie's Oat Fiber

All the ingredients are available in Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend Pack.

Put all ingredients in large bowl and mix well with a large whisk.

Per cup: (excluding unknown items): 323 Calories; 1g Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 103g Carbohydrate; 84g Dietary Fiber; 19 net carbs; 0mg Cholesterol; 52mg Sodium.

NOTES: This is a lighter flour to use in cakes,

Thought you all might like the recipe for the cake flour blend from jena-marie hope you try it is so good, and no funky taste at all.

Kevinpa 06-08-2007 02:10 PM

When I plug in the carb counts for the ingredients listed that were not Jena Marie's I get a per cup carb count of around 15 per cup.

CarolynF 06-08-2007 02:33 PM

Hi:

Bette..I'm a cocoa freak..Love Droste...which is about $8.00 for a can..I will definitely search for "other" great cocoa buys..

Thanks for the Jena recipe..I have never tried this cake flour..Why didn't you use all Jena in your brownies????

Bfranke 06-08-2007 03:32 PM

Carolyn, I didn't want to stray too far from Kevins recipe! Proabably could have though. I use it a lot, but usually just as part of the flour, using the rest whatever the originator of the recipe used.
Bette

CarolynF 06-08-2007 05:37 PM

Bette: Using CQ does cut down on the carbs, too..:) Thanks.

Kevinpa 08-02-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfranke (Post 8740485)
When there were some postings about Cocoa awhile ago, I did some Net searching and found a place to buy this Dutched Cocoa.
Yesterday I ordered Grand Guayacan, Royal Mahagony, and Vintage Lacewood...12# in all!!! Should keep me in cocoa for several years, I suspect. Anyway, it was less expensive to buy this than the Hershey that I have been buying @ $3.18/8 oz. The 12# came to $57.34, including shipping, making it $4.78/#. Now I can hardly wait for it to get here so I can make more brownies, chocolate cake, cookies, what ever I can come up with.
Bette

How are you storing these Bette?

Bfranke 08-02-2007 12:47 PM

Actually, I sort of wondered about that. But, I have it in the heavy black plastic bags that it came in, stored in a cool basement. I would think as long as it is dry and not in a really warm place it should be ok. What do you think?
Bette

Kevinpa 08-02-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfranke (Post 9004190)
Actually, I sort of wondered about that. But, I have it in the heavy black plastic bags that it came in, stored in a cool basement. I would think as long as it is dry and not in a really warm place it should be ok. What do you think?
Bette

I'm not sure. I just got 12# today and will have to do some research to see what is suggested. With 2# or less I never worried about before. I'll let you know what I find out.