Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Chefgreg's Carbquik Croissants

Anyone remember these????

He gave us a recipe for 120 and Laurie divided the recipe by 10 to make it more "our size"..After being in Germany on vacation and experiencing real
chocolate croissants for breakfast..(I gained 7-8 pounds), I was wondering if anyone had ever tried this recipe..I might do it after I lose the weight I gained..

Croissants-Recipe Edited to make 12
Here are Chef Greg's Instructions, pared down to 12 croissants from 120 (1/10 recipe)

CROISSANT DOUGH
MILK - cold 4.8 oz.
YEAST 7/10 oz.
CARBQUIK 1/2 Lb
SALT 6.2 grams
SUGAR 17 grams [THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT--DOES IT ALL HAVE
TO BE REAL SUGAR?--WILL THE YEAST "EAT UP" AN ALMOST
EQUAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR?]
BUTTER - 8/10 oz.

BUTTER 4.8 oz
CARBQUIK 3/10 oz.

Yields: 12 Croissants weighing 1.75 oz. each.

METHOD:

1. DOUGH: Mix the first 6 ingredients together - "Straight Dough Mixing Method". Mix on low speed for “5 minutes" until a smooth loose dough is formed - do not overwork the dough! Allow to rise for 30 minutes. Then pin-out the dough out into the size of a sheet-pan. Then place the dough onto a parchment lined and lightly Carbquiked sheet-pan, and ****** [CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT ****** MEANS?--HELP] for 30 minutes.

2. BUTTER BLOCK (beurrage): Combine the remaining butter and Carbquik, and knead until pliable and lump free. Spread evenly over 2/3 of a parchment lined sheet-pan. Place in the refrigerate for 10 minutes.

3. When the butter and dough have reached the same consistency, place the dough on your work table, brush-off any excess Carbquik, and cover 1/2 of the dough evenly with the butter.

4. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the butter, seal the edges well. You have completed the LOCK-IN. Turn 90 degrees.

5. Roll out to 3x the width of a sheet-pan, and as long. Complete the 1 3-FOLD. (THIS MEANS FOLD THE TWO SIDES IN TOWARD THE MIDDLE SO YOU END UP WITH A SHEET 1/3 THE SIZE OF WHAT IT WAS AFTER YOU ROLLED IT OUT). Refrigerate 30 minutes.

6. Complete the 2 3-FOLD (THAT MEANS REPEAT #5 ABOVE), refrigerate 30 minutes, and the final 3 3-FOLD (YEP, DO IT ONE MORE TIME!)(You will now have a total of 81 layers). Wrap tightly and refrigerate. Use the 2nd day
GUIDELINES:
1. Pan 6 croissants per normal baking pan. Reverse the last row of croissants to prevent the tips from over-browning!
2. French egg wash (baste with equal parts yolks and cream) - before and after proofing.
3. Proof until doubled in size. When the sheet-pan is shaken, the croissants should jiggle.
4. Bake @ 425 F.

I won't have time to actually test this recipe for another couple of weeks. If anybody knows what "Relaxing the Dough" means, please let me know. Also if anybody has a chance to try this before I do, I'd love to hear how it works!
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I personally don't think I'd want to take the chance of wasting the ingredients. Too many things don't fit with how Carbquik as flour works. To be honest this sounds like a HC recipe that he just tells you to sub Carbquik for the regular flour. And we all know that almost never works especially when dealing with a yeast application.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 05-28-2007 at 01:20 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
17 grams = 4 teaspoons real sugar
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaa!

You first, Carolyn! (sorry, couldn't resist).

:blush:
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Retarding dough means to refrigerate it at a certain temperature. It is used for sourdough bread to allow the development of organic acids that give the bread its sour flavor. It is often used for pizza dough, too. It is done with laminated [folded] pastry dough in order to give it a very flaky texture. Hope this helps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3502531

Retarding the dough means slowing down the bread's leavening process, and that is done by controlling the temperature. Allow the bread to go through its first rise and punch it down5, then put it in a cool place covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.

http://www.aarushijain.com/baking_process.html

Retarding (Refrigerating)

The process of slowing down maturing or aging of perishable items such as fruits, flowers etc by reducing the temperature, generally in the range of 35-42°F or 2-5°C. In the context of baking, retarding plays a vital role in attaining desired dough characteristics. In pastry dough, retarding provides time to the ingredients to hydrate and relax. Pastry dough is retarded for at least 30 minutes, to obtain flaky and tender characteristics. In bread dough, retarding reduces the rate of fermentation, which influences the flavor, aroma and appearance of the finished stuff. Bread dough is retarded for 8-10 hours or overnight to attain the desired volume.