Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Something different - kielbasa stir-fry

I get sick of the same old thing time after time, and I make this Rachel Ray recipe occassionally. Obvisouly, I don't make the pierogis, but I left them in the recipe in case you want to treat your non-lc family members and friends. (also, I'm lazy and I merely cut and paste from the food network website) Everything related to the pierogis is in red. For the kielbasa, I use Hillshire Farms lite smoked sausage - according to the label, it is 0 carbs per serving.

Enjoy!

Tim

My Version of My Friend Jon's Polish Stir-Fry and Pierogis Pot Stickers with Herbs and Sour Cream Recipe
courtesy Rachael Ray

[COLOR="Red"]3 tablespoons softened butter
1 package frozen pierogis, potato filled dumplings -- any brand or variety [/COLOR]
1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, cut in large slices on an angle
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 tablespoon butter
1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
1 1/2 pounds kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 pound sauerkraut, drained
1 teaspoon ground mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
[COLOR="red"]2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill leaves
2 tablespoons chopped chives
A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup sour cream[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Cover the bottom of a skillet with softened butter. Arrange pierogis in the pan in a single layer. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Cover pan and place over medium high heat. Cook covered 8 minutes, remove lid and cook out any liquid in the pot. [/COLOR]

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown kielbasa and remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm. Drain fat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Raise heat to high. Add onion to the pan and saute for a few minutes to soften. Add chopped kale in batches as it wilts into the pan. When kale is wilted, add sauerkraut. Season stir-fry with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Return kielbasa to pan. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.

[COLOR="red"]Let the pierogis "stick" and brown in the butter as the liquid evaporates. Remove crisp pierogis from heat to a plate.

Stir together the chopped herbs and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pierogis.[/COLOR]
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: woofie47
Stats: 183/130/120 5'1
WOE: original Atkins/EFGT
Start Date: Atkins in 1979, EFGT 11/06
Gary, one of the hardest things for me is not having potatoes. No sugar, fine.
but potatoes, hardest thing ever. Dreamfields is the best sub in soups (veg, chicken stew, ets.). I also use a lot of the cauliflower subs, and have found that rutabega are good as a mashed potatoe sub. I think I would try this first and then the dreamfields.
woofie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

The pierogis are really just a side dish and are served separately from the Polish stir fry. Personally, I think this would be great with mashed cauliflower or some other similar accompaniment. My SO does not eat cooked cauliflower, so we rarely have it at our house. I just usually serve it with a vegetable of some sort. I'm not sure how dreamfields would work since the "sauce" in the recipe is more or a dipping type sauce for the pierogis. Now some mac and cheese made with dreamfields would be a totally different story and would probably be the ideal accompanyment!

Tim
Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Nope - not burnt out on cauliflower - just don't eat it often due to SO's dislike. I actually still have a head of cauliflower in the frideg from when I made yourThai recipe - I actually checked it yesterday and it is still good, but really needs to get used.

I bought some Daikon radishes at the Farmers market and wasn't sure what to do with them. The Farmers market is downtown on Thursdays - maybe I'll head out over lunch and pick up another couple to try as fries.

Tim
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim964 View Post
My Version of My Friend Jon's Polish Stir-Fry and Pierogis Pot Stickers with Herbs and Sour Cream Recipe
courtesy Rachael Ray

3 tablespoons softened butter
1 package frozen pierogis, potato filled dumplings -- any brand or variety
1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, cut in large slices on an angle
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 tablespoon butter
1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
1 1/2 pounds kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 pound sauerkraut, drained
1 teaspoon ground mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill leaves
2 tablespoons chopped chives
A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup sour cream

Cover the bottom of a skillet with softened butter. Arrange pierogis in the pan in a single layer. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Cover pan and place over medium high heat. Cook covered 8 minutes, remove lid and cook out any liquid in the pot.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown kielbasa and remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm. Drain fat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Raise heat to high. Add onion to the pan and saute for a few minutes to soften. Add chopped kale in batches as it wilts into the pan. When kale is wilted, add sauerkraut. Season stir-fry with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Return kielbasa to pan. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.

Let the pierogis "stick" and brown in the butter as the liquid evaporates. Remove crisp pierogis from heat to a plate.

Stir together the chopped herbs and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pierogis.
Thinking of making this for dinner tonight (minus the pieorgies for me but hubby will have
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
OK, this was a total disappointment. I threw everything out but the kielbasa......UGH.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote