Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
First home cooked meal for the new guy in my life??

I'm having a new man over for dinner this weekend and I need some ideas on what to make. He doesn't low carb but he's a diabetic (type 1) so I think low carb is the way to go. I was thinking about Kevin's thin crust cheese pizza but I thought that may be too "casual" (i.e not romatic enough!) We've only been out a half dozen times or so and this is the first time I am cooking for him. I'm still in the ga-ga phase where I actually want to impress him! I'm sure that will be gone soon enough but for now I need your brilliant ideas on what to make.

Oh, I'm interested in both mail dishes and dessert ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by Minnas; 05-16-2007 at 11:19 PM..
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
First off, congrats on the new guy!!!

It sounds to me like you are lookign for an elegant lookign meal or one that shows you put some time and thought into it, but maybe a meal that looks like it took more time than it actually did. How about one of those nice elegant stuffed chicken recipes that look like it took you forever to make?

Maybe this one, or something similar:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Tammy's Stuffed Chicken Breasts

Serving Size: 4

-= Ingredients =-
4 sun dried tomatoes ; packed in oil or dried
1 teaspoon lemon zest ; grated
1 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons parsley ; minced
1/8 teaspoon salt ; (optional)
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves

-= Instructions =-
If using oil packed tomatoes, drain and finely chop. If using dried tomatoes, cover tomatoes with boiling water in a bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain and finely chop. Place 2 Tbs. chopped tomatoes and half the lemon zest in a small bowl. Add butter, parsley and salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside. Combine remaining tomatoes and zest in another bowl and mix thoroughly.

Using a sharp knife, cut horizontally through the center of each chicken breast to form a pocket. Do not cut all the way through. Divide tomato and lemon zest mixture into equal portions and spread in pocket of each chicken breast. Turn on broiler. Arrange chicken on a broiler pan and place 4 inches from heat source. Broil 5 minutes. Turn and broil another 4 minutes. Spread tomato and butter mixture over chicken breasts. Broil another 1-2 minutes or until chicken is opaque throughout.

If you don't like that one, stuff the chicken with any combination of Proscuitto, cheese, spinach and mushrooms, and make it the same basic way.

As a side dish if you want veggies, maybe take asparagus spears and cut the hard ends off, then cut spears in half. Wrap in a half a slice of bacon or turkey bacon, bake at 400 for 15 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese then return to oven long enough to melt cheese. Even non low carbers love that one and I've served it to many who do not even like asparagus and they loved it. It is appetizing to look at and tastes great. Again, it looks like you put a lot of work into it, but is simple and quick to make.

On the dessert, maybe choose something you can make the night before or a couple nights before, to cut down on the cooking the night of. Besides, some things need to chill several hours before serving.

For dessert, I'll suggest CarolynF's Brownie Torte if you have the supplies (Carbquick, etc). It is a beautiful, elegant dessert and even people who arent diabetic have loved it whenever I serve it.

If you do not have the carbquik and things, try CarolynF's Easy Strawberry Pie. It's pretty and very tasty

Last edited by Yummy's_Girl; 05-16-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
Stats: 197/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 20, 2014
I love the Easy Strawberry Pie! I just made that on Mother's Day! How about a Caesar Salad and shrimp scampi? Easy, quick, great tasting! Have fun!
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
Lets face it - all guys like steak. I love to grill, but a great indoor option is Brandy Flamed Peppercorn Steaks (great presentation too!). Here's the recipe from I use which is originally from allrecipes.com:

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns (I actually use less)
2 (8 ounce) beef top sirloin steaks
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red wine
3 tablespoons brandy
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 shallot, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS
Press crushed peppercorns into both sides of each steak. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, and salt.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic and wine, and cook for 1 minute. Arrange steaks in pan, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes per side, or until desired doneness. Reduce heat to low.

Pour brandy onto steaks, and carefully light with a match. Let the flames burn off. Sprinkle green onion and shallot around the steaks, and circle the steaks with cream. Cook, stirring sauce, until hot. Transfer steaks to plates. Spoon sauce over meat.

Enjoy!

Tim

Last edited by tim964; 05-17-2007 at 06:45 AM..
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
I made up this recipe for DH for Valentines day and he loved it!

This recipe serves 4 so you can scale it down for 2. (use 2 chicken breasts)

Mushroom, Spinach and Garlic Stuffed Chicken Beasts
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1-2 large cloves garlic minced
1 small package frozen chopped spinach, squeeze/drained well.
8oz pkg fresh mushrooms, chopped up (as finely as you prefer)
1 jar of (low carb) alfredo sauce or homemade lc alfredo sauce.
Parmesan cheese
Butter, salt, pepper, toothpicks or roasting string

Spray shallow baking dish with non- stick cooking spray, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

- Pound each chicken breast out thin (1/4” – 1/5” ) between wax paper season lightly with salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
If they are large you can cut one in half and get 2 servings from 1 breast.

- Saute mushroom in butter in slightly brown, add garlic until cooked and then spinch, Mix well and take off heat. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.

- Spoon Mixture on each piece of chicken in middle, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and roll chicken up.
You can secure pieces by tieing them up with the string, using a toothpick or simply placing the seam side down in baking dish. (this works well if they are not overstuffed)

Place all chicken rolls in baking pan and drizzle or brush lightly with melted butter.

Bake for 30-40 min until chicken is cooked through.

Serve stuffed chicken on bed of low carb pasta or side of veggies topped with alfredo sauce.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Most everybody like Italian. How about a chicken breast Parmigiano? Pounded chicken cutlets, dredged in egg and Kraft Parmesan seasoned with onion and garlic powder and Italian seasoning, then sauteed lightly in olive oil. Top with a good Marinara sauce, Mozzarella and real (not Kraft) Parmigiano cheese and bake till heated. You can do everything but the final heating ahead (just be sure to undercook the chicken when doing the initial browning) so your kitchen is neat when your guy arrives. Serve with a mixed green salad and a roasted vegetable. I frequently buy one of those bags of frozen cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and squash and put on a cooky sheet with some olive oil and roast at 400 till a little brown on the edges. Green beans are really good done like that, too. Very easy as well and not heavy. I'd go for a light fruit dessert, like mixed berries sweetened with Splenda (or whatever you use) and topped with a little sweetened sour cream or whipped cream and garnished with mint. He'll be impressed!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/137/120
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
I agree with Tim. Go with the steak! For a side dish Linda's Mockafoni and cheese. My husband, dad, and brother love that dish!
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Not to argue with anybody here - and everyone has given some wonderful ideas - but I'd keep a few thoughts in mind before I'd do a steak. First, the meat needs to be of really good quality - in other words, expensive. Second, it can be a little tricky to get it cooked just right and not overdone. Third, while flaming brandy can be dramatic, it takes some practice to do without embarrassing yourself! I think the most important thing is to do something you are personally comfortable with. You want to be relaxed and happy for your guy, not stressed out about a recipe!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #9

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
you conviced me ginny....I'm making your suggestion with Alton Browns baked tomato sauce for dinner.....
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
I would suggest to have some sort of carb there. My SIL is Type 1 diabetic and if she doesn't eat some carbs with a meal she will get sick and her blood sugar can get all messed up (I'm not sure of the details) Different types of diabetes can have different dietary requirements.
Lehgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas! Vicki, thanks for telling me that. I'm always shocked when we go out to eat and this guy eats whatever he wants. He shoots insulin at the table although he does it so discretely I have never seen him doing it. I just assumed low carb was good for all diabetics and I was actually going to bring this up with him but now I won't. He's been dealing with this for 30 years so I have to give him some credit I guess that he knows whats best for him. But, if he wants to be with ME he better learn to like low carb I'll throw a potato in the oven for him if I have to but that's about the best he's going to get out of me.

I have been wanting to try the AB tomato sauce so maybe I'll give that a go...oh wait, the Dreamfields can give me some "intestinal issues" that could be embarrasing so maybe I'll wait until I know him better to do that one Steak could be a challenge for me. Flaming meat could be a huge challenge for me! I do have some very good filets in the freezer. I'll think about that one. I'll mull over the other recipes and see what I think might appeal to him the best. They all sound really delicious! Hopefully I'll have more than one chance to cook for him so they will definitely be used.

THe strawberry pie sound great too! I think I'll give that one a go for sure.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. You're all invited to the wedding!!
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If it were ME - I'd be doing something simple enough to "cook itself" so I could spend more time with HIM and not be in the kitchen! Like maybe a crockpot pork or beef roast - maybe check the crockpot thread for ideas? Or something like a spinach or cabbage lasagna, if Dreamfields gives you issues - I'm pretty sure LindaSue has some noodle-less lasagna recipes on her website.

Make up a big ol' tossed salad with all the goodies in it, keep ice cold, chill the salad bowls and forks to make an impression, and serve with a good homemade or good quality bottled dressing. A nice bottle of wine perhaps?

DH and I had a killer dessert at our fave restaurant last night - just quartered strawberries, with a drizzle of port that had had a cinnamon stick steeped in it - it was really delicious!

The MOST important thing is - have fun and keep it non-fussy the first time around! (The food I meant....)

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:54 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharis View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas! Vicki, thanks for telling me that. I'm always shocked when we go out to eat and this guy eats whatever he wants. He shoots insulin at the table although he does it so discretely I have never seen him doing it. I just assumed low carb was good for all diabetics and I was actually going to bring this up with him but now I won't. He's been dealing with this for 30 years so I have to give him some credit I guess that he knows whats best for him. But, if he wants to be with ME he better learn to like low carb I'll throw a potato in the oven for him if I have to but that's about the best he's going to get out of me.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. You're all invited to the wedding!!
That's just what my SIL does - she shoots her little insulin thingie at every meal. I know she needs to take her insulin and when she does she needs a certain amount of carbs per insulin measurement (sorry, I can't remember exactly what the details are lol) and if she doesn't take it she'll get sick. Last time she didnt' take her insulin regularly and wasn't eating right she ended up in the ICU for 3 days (she's 26 and not overweight)

hahahaha - you're already getting married I see! You're just like me lol!! Planning the wedding!!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I agree with Char. First time it's best to be able to spend more time with him than in the kitchen and you don't have to worry about something messing up if it's already cooked. No reason to get real fancy either--guys usually just want a nice homecooked meal--atleast in my experience. I think a pot roast in a slow cooker is a great idea--guys grill for themselves and this is more "home cooking". Maybe some faux mashed potatoes with gravy. A salad and maybe a green veggie would be plenty. The cheesy broccoli casserole on Linda Sue's site is excellent. Sometimes guys don't like plain veggies but will eat if covered with cheese. For a plain green veggie, green beans is often a safe bet.

My second idea would be zuccini or eggplant lasagna. DH loves lasagna made with Dreamsfields but you pointed out a good reason not to do that just yet.

Also the more creative you get the more chance there is it won't suit his particular tastes--I'd wait till you know what he really likes and just play it safe to start. I like lots of dishes that DH won't touch.

Last edited by jackieba; 05-18-2007 at 07:51 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Low Carb Mommy
Stats: 175/118 /New wt. 153/137/120
WOE: Atkins & Watching Calories-Starting over
Start Date: September 2006/2014
I would love to know what you ended up fixing and how it went! Please give an update when you can! Thanks!
Low Carb Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote