Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2002, 09:27 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EbonyandIvory
Chocolate Fudge Candy & Splenda?

I am making chocolate fudge candy for an office party tomorrow. I have made it several times since I started low-carbing and have not yielded to temptation yet!! However, I would like to try to make this recipe with Splenda. I realize that doing so will not make this a lo-carb treat, but would like to experiment.

I make my fudge with marshmellow cream, evaporated milk, semi-sweet chocolate morsels, butter, etc. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar. All of the ingredients except for the chocolate morsels, nuts, and vanilla are brought to a rolling boil. Then the morsels, etc. are added and it is put in the refrigerator to harden.

Should I use the same 1 1/2 cups of Splenda that I use when am using sugar. Will the texture of the candy be the same or should I make some adjustments?

Thanks for your help. EbonyandIvory
EbonyandIvory is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Splenda tastes just like sugar, and is compatable, measure for measure. If you do a search, you will find that locarbman did a thread on fudge not so long ago.

I'd definitely stay away from the recipe you are doing - the evaporated milk, and the marshmallow cream would defeat the whole purpose of replacing the Splenda with sugar. IMHO.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide to do!
auntie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Chocolate Fudge and Splenda

Several days ago, I asked for advice regarding substituting Splenda in a Chocolate Fudge recipe. I appreicated each of your comments. I did experiment! It was a dismal failure!! The fudge never did harden. I can scoop in out of the dish with a spoon. Guess I will be shopping on my lunch hour for my contribution to the staff Christmas party!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:39 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
If you have time you can probably turn it into rumballs. Heat it up again and add some rum and crushed chocolate wafers and roll into balls. The balls can be rolled in nuts, coconut or sprinkles and refringerate till firm. WARNING: THIS IS NOT LOW CARB!!!

Bernie

P.S. Sorry it didn't turn out. But Splenda does not thicked when heat like sugar.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Bernie,
Thanks for the rum ball suggestion. I am going to try it today. If it turns out OK, I will give as little treats in the neighborhood. Thanks also for your explanation about the Splenda not hardening when it is heated. I think that is exactly what happened or in this case, did not happen! The texture of the Splenda just does not duplicate the texture of sugar. EbonyandIvory
Old 12-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
I haven't used Splenda in a recipe that calls for heating on the stove in a couple of years. I was trying to make some chocolate fudge type of thing then and had the Splenda separate at high temperatures. There is no way to "glue" the fudge back together once it separates. I always use xylitol for recipes that have to be cooked on the stove and it works great. It is a lot more expensive than Splenda, but I rarely make the types of things that require xylitol, so I don't mind the expense every now and then. I use it mainly for ice cream because it gives a really sugar feeling to the ice cream that Splenda cannot duplicate. Splenda isn't good for everything and I rarely use it now since I discovered other types of sweeteners.
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

gettingsmaller - xylitol?

gettingsmaller,
Thank you for the information regarding xylitol. Where would I purchase that product? EbonyandIvory