Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Char's Green Tomato Chow Chow (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/491554-chars-green-tomato-chow-chow.html)

Charski 05-01-2007 08:29 AM

Char's Green Tomato Chow Chow

This is my favorite end-of-the-tomato-crop recipe! Fpr those who requested it in the Garden thread!

Char's Chow Chow

10 green tomatoes
4 red tomatoes
4 green bell peppers
3 red bell peppers
4 medium onions
8 stalks celery
1 med. head green cabbage
1 1" piece fresh ginger, minced
3 cups cider vinegar
3 cups Splenda
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon mace
1/4 cup pickling salt

Chop all the veggies up fairly fine (I got smart today and used my food processor in "pulse" mode!) and put them into a 10 quart stockpot. Add the vinegar and the rest of the ingredients. Stir well. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently, then let simmer about an hour. Let cool, then package however you want...I put it into those "disposable" Glad plastic storage containers or vacuum seal in Mason jars with my FoodSaver. I refrigerate mine, but I'm sure it would freeze well, or if you're so inclined, you could can it. This batch made about 20 cups. It was a little more "liquidy" than I wanted it so I used a measuring cup to dip out some of the liquid, probably about 2 cups worth.

It's really good stuff, especially with meatloaf or barbecued pulled pork or ham or...well you get the idea.

The original recipe called only for the green tomatoes, but I had so many ripe ones that I just decided to throw some of those in there too! It's pretty forgiving so use what you have.

You could reduce the carbs by using a liquid version of Splenda or the quickpacks. As the recipe is written, there are 24 grams of carbs PER CUP of granular Splenda. I made this recipe up while doing WW so the carbs weren't an issue, this year I'll certainly use liquid Splenda though.

I haven't run this through MasterCook so if someone is so inclined, then thanks in advance! The serving size would be maybe 2 tablespoons....

Char

Dottie 05-01-2007 08:50 AM

That sounds great! I love it over grilled chicken or fish in the summer. Thanks :D

Arynn 05-01-2007 10:28 AM

Being in Backwoods, GA, USA, my local grocer always has just as many green tomatos out for sale as they do reds. I will make a pared down batch this weekend and mayeb a full batch next week. Thank you so much for sharing! It made me drool.

Charski 05-01-2007 10:39 AM

You're welcome, I hope you and Dottie like it - DH is just in ecstasy when I make this for him.

magnamater 05-01-2007 02:42 PM

Thanks, Char, this is a lc recipe of an old Southern classic, one I've missed.

It looks slightly difficult, but I'm sure the efforts are worth it.

My DM didn't have a food processor. . .so all that was chopped by hand. . .yow! But I do, so maybe it isn't so difficult!

My DH thanks you, this is one of his favs.

Charski 05-01-2007 03:07 PM

Mag, it's really not difficult as much as time-consuming. The first two times I made it, I did the "by hand" method and it took a long time to get everything chopped up, then cooked down, but was worth it.

For some reason it didn't occur to me til the third time to get out the food processor! LOL!

You want to just pulse it though and not cut it up too finely, I'm sure you know that the end product is a bit chunky.

Now I'm watered up for this and none to be had yet....c'mon, green tomatoes!

24Fan 05-02-2007 05:12 AM

Charski, thanks for posting the recipe! I saved it and am going to make this this summer to can. Sounds yummy.

Arynn 05-02-2007 09:46 AM

My whole house smells sooo good! This is awesome stuff! Didn't have mace or red peppers, I used regular salt and reduced the splenda ratio. But what an awesome pot of goodness! I am going to buy Nathan's Hotdogs for the weekend to grill. Thank you so very much for sharing this recipe. Of course my 3 tomatos cost $2.50 which is the same as a tomato plant. I will be getting a plant this weekend as well. I don't know my way around canning but do you think I can foodsaver it and freeze it? And how long does it last in the fridge? and honestly, do you REALLY only eat 2 tbsps of this at a time? I had about 1/4 cup, by itself,warm out of the pot :laugh: Just an awesome condiment!

Charski 05-02-2007 10:06 AM

Oh, I'm so glad you like it!

It does last quite a while in the fridge, and yes you can freeze it too.

It's hard not to eat a lot of it! ;) There are certainly WORSE things you could eat a lot of though!

Xcali 05-02-2007 01:56 PM

Char ..

Haven't made this yet, but going to this weekend, just want to say thanks for an incredible sounding recipe. I love tomatoes, esp. green ones.

Do you think it would be okay to use bagged (already shredded) cabbage, just to save a little time?

Charski 05-02-2007 02:14 PM

Yep, been there, done that! I rinse it first though to get rid of any chemical stuff they may have washed it in before bagging it. A quick trip through the salad spinner and it's great.

Xcali 05-02-2007 08:45 PM

Thanks Char :heart:

jackieba 05-03-2007 05:43 AM

You said you got 20 cups out of the recipe, that's 320 tablespoons,
PER TABLESPOON:

Per Serving : 4 Calories; trace Fat (5.6%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

The entire recipe has 1153 calories and either 286 net carbs using granular Splenda or 214 if you use liquid sucralose.

Thanks for the recipe.

24Fan 05-03-2007 06:37 AM

Thanks, Jackieba!!

Ann Lytle 10-09-2012 04:18 PM

Printed it off Charski, I'm sure I have enough tomatoes, have everything else, but the cabbage. Will let you know how I like it. Thanks again.................... Ann