Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bev-Ann
Stats: Ht 5' 2.5" Size 10 / 8 / 2
WOE: High Protein, LC
Start Date: Sep. 2008
Cocoa Powder Substitute for Chocolate Chips?

I found a recipe that calls for 1-1/2 cups of carob chips, melted, and I'd like to substitute cocoa powder, cocoa butter or palm oil and a polyd-based sweetener blend instead. I've been searching the net and only found one reference for substituting cocoa powder for chocolate chips (should be similar for carob chips) but it doesn't look right to me. Would the whiz-kids on here please take a look and tell me what you think?

Quote:
6 oz chocolate chips = 1 cup chocolate chips = 6 tbsp cocoa powder + 7 tbsp sugar + 1/4 cup butter or shortening
According to the above, I'd use 9 tbsp of cocoa powder + polyd-based sweetener equal to 10.5 tbsp sugar + 6 tbsp of cocoa butter. I don't know how much volume the 1-1/2 cups of carob chips would be when melted but, even if I were to use sugar, this doesn't look like it would be close to me.

Here's the original recipe:

Quote:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup carob chips
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Melt butter, peanut butter and chips together and blend well. Mix with remaining ingredients and press into 9x13 inch pan. Chill until firm.
Cut into 24 squares.
Besides using cocoa instead of the carob chips, I'm going to sub ground flax for the wheat germ.
Bev-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev-Ann View Post
I've been searching the net and only found one reference for substituting cocoa powder for chocolate chips (should be similar for carob chips) but it doesn't look right to me. Would the whiz-kids on here please take a look and tell me what you think?
Bev, I am not sure what it is that does not look right to you but maybe this will help. I just took 1/8 cup(2 T.) of chips and melted them then measured the melted chocolate and the volumn was reduced by approx 1/2 and I had 1 T. of melted chocolate. Just at a quick glance the formula that you stated seem like it would produce that yeild.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I didn't have any chips in the house to experiment with so I had no idea how much the volume would decrease when they were melted. I honestly didn't think it would be by half. I was guessing more like only a quarter.
Thanks for checking for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
Anxiously awaiting your experiment results, Bev-Ann. Is this a Granola recipe or cookie recipe you are working on? And we can all use another chocolate recipe for cookies.
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

It's a bar recipe I found on the web and made a copy of a long time ago. It looks like a good candidate for LC conversion. The only high-carb ingredients are the carob chips and wheat germ. I'm also going to sub macadamia nut butter for the peanut butter but only because I recently bought 25 pounds of blanched macadamias so have a lot of it right now.
Here's the version I'm going to try:

9 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
4 tsp erythritol
4 tsp xylitol
6 drops Sweetzfree
6 tbsp palm oil
1/2 cup butter
1 cup macadamia nut butter
1 cup ground flax seeds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds

According to ******, 1/24th will be 2.78g net carbs. And everything, except the sweeteners, is very healthy!

Last edited by Bev-Ann; 04-24-2007 at 06:23 PM..