Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: happycat
question about corn starch and xanthan gum

In recipes calling for corn starch, do you replace it with the exact same amount of xanthan gum (or other thickening agent that you use)? Thanks.
happycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycat View Post
In recipes calling for corn starch, do you replace it with the exact same amount of xanthan gum (or other thickening agent that you use)? Thanks.
There's no exact formula, but you would use quite a bit less xanthan gum than cornstarch. I find that for most recipes. I use between 1/8 teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon. Always start with a tiny bit, let the sauce cook or stand a couple minutes to see the effect, then add a little more if it hasn't thickened to your liking. I have also found that different foods seem to require different amounts of xanthan gum to get the same thickening power so you really need to experiment and be sure to write down how much you needed for each recipe you make so you'll remember the next time you make it.

Once you have an idea of how much is needed for a particular recipe, there are sometimes easier ways of adding it to the dish than to very carefully sprinkle it over the surface while constanty whisking. For example, if a dish has a lot of dry spices in it, it's easier to mix the xanthan gum into the spice mixture. That's a lot easier than gradually whisking it in on its own. Also, say you're browning some ground beef to make sloppy joes and haven't added the sauce ingredients yet. You can sprinkle the xanthan gum lightly over the meat and mix it in and you won't get any clumping or blobs later when you add the liquid.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: happycat
Thanks, Linda Sue! By the way, I've spent most of the day putting lots of your recipes in a photo album-type cookbook. You're the best!

The recipe I have (that calls for corn starch) is for a copycat style version of Carrabba's Chicken Marsala. I haven't ever tried the recipe, but still might post it later.
happycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
BTW if you can, blend 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum in a blender w/ 1/4 - 1/2 cup water and use that to thicken. The only reason I like this better is because I can avoid clumps.
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
BTW if you can, blend 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum in a blender w/ 1/4 - 1/2 cup water and use that to thicken. The only reason I like this better is because I can avoid clumps.
If you do that, you'll probably want to decrease the amount of liquid in the recipe by the same amount or you'll end up needing even more xanthan gum. As often as I use xanthan gum, it wouldn't be convenient for me to have to mess with the blender every time and I've never had it clump on me.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote