Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   A DELICIOUS Spinach Pie Recipe!!! One of my favorite side dishes!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/487904-delicious-spinach-pie-recipe-one-my-favorite-side-dishes.html)

LowCarbChick 04-12-2007 07:31 PM

A DELICIOUS Spinach Pie Recipe!!! One of my favorite side dishes!!!

This is a recipe I found in an old LC cookbook and it has been a staple in my diet. I never get tired of this delicious dish! DH also loves it and he's not even low carbing!!!

Janine’s Spinach Pie
Blend together:
3 or 4 eggs
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt

Add and mix well
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (other cheeses work nicely also)
1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
1/4 cup chopped scallion (green onion)
2 Tbsp. dried or 4 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
(I also add garlic powder to taste)

Pour into buttered casserole (or unbaked pie shell). Top with
Thin slices of fresh tomato and
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (spread evenly yet generously on top and Spray the parm. cheese with pam cooking spray - this will make a yummy crispy coating on top of the pie)
Bake at 450° for about 35 minutes. (I never cook it this long..usually I do for about 25 minutes or so.)

Hope you like it! I think it is one of my favorite recipes...very easy and VERY tasty!!! :love:

sasasota 04-12-2007 07:39 PM

I have all these ingredients on hand, I can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Pompom2 04-12-2007 07:49 PM

This sounds very delish. I will give it a try this weekend. Thanx for the recipe.

nicole714 04-12-2007 09:11 PM

Oh definately gonna try this one thanks for posting it! :)

sligh 04-13-2007 06:08 AM

I keep trying different spinach recipes - many are quite good, but I keep looking for one I will LOVE. Can't wait to try this one.

Itsanewme 04-14-2007 04:27 AM

I made this for dinner last night and it was terrific! DH loved it. I added some leftover cooked chicken and bacon bits and served it as a main course. Delicious! I can see this would be great with ham or sausage too. Thanks LowCarbChick for a great recipe!

TrueTrue 04-14-2007 09:44 AM

Thanks for posting this recipe! I made it yesterday too and I love it! :cool:

catkin 04-14-2007 05:33 PM

:drool: :love:

Mindy 04-15-2007 04:57 PM

Sounds delish... will try it this week.

LowCarbChick 04-16-2007 12:33 PM

Hope all of you that tried this loved it!

I did a neat variation on this recipe a while back....At the grocery store, I found this neat new "bistro selections" cheese from Sargento (I think that was what they were called) and it was something like TOMATO BASIL MOZZERELLA cheese....I decided to make that my cheese in this dish and it was so incredible. The cheese was a little more expensive, so I don't use it all the time, but just for special occasions.

momov2boys 04-17-2007 03:48 AM

Thanks for posting; We'll have to try it!
:)

24Fan 04-17-2007 04:06 AM

This sounds so yummy! I can't wait to make it, thanks ;)

LowCarbChick 04-20-2007 03:57 PM

Made this again yesterday....we ate it all a little too quickly...I'm going to make a double batch this weekend! Double batches go great in a 9x13 casserole dish and will usually last us the week...

NewMe and TrueTrue - I'm so glad you liked it!! It is just so easy and so good....DH asks for it all the time!

Everyone else...let me know what you think once you've tried it!

Have a great weekend, all!

seriouschick 04-21-2007 09:59 AM

I made this for a light lunch today and it was fabulous!! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Easy to make, and I so should have doubled it because we gobbled it up. :cool: It's nice to have a vegetarian main dish that isn't a salad. :)

Here is a picture of the one I made:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...7/P1030496.jpg

jackieba 04-21-2007 05:02 PM

Great pic Becky. We love spinach--my only question is --is this like a quiche in texture (asking due to the eggs)?

seriouschick 04-21-2007 06:05 PM

I used three eggs, not four. It was more spinach than egg, so I didn't find it that "quiche" like...and the cheese makes it nice and tasty.

BarbDe 04-21-2007 06:10 PM

I used 4 eggs. And it was not "eggy" at all. Nice dish. Thanks for sharing!

Itsanewme 04-21-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieba (Post 8513075)
Great pic Becky. We love spinach--my only question is --is this like a quiche in texture (asking due to the eggs)?

Mine was more creamy and cheesy. Not eggy at all. I added chicken and bacon too so it was kind of like a casserole...*very* yummy!

LowCarbChick 04-23-2007 08:50 AM

Becky...thanks for sharing the picture! I took one a while back but I have no idea how to post it on the boards...lol

I think my husband is starting to do low carb now because he really likes all my food I've been able to eat, and he sees me losing weight!

This recipe is his all time favorite...it goes with anything! Burgers, chicken, fish...you name it!

NewMe, I really like your idea about adding the chicken and bacon to it, too! I need to try that sometime as well!

Barb - glad you liked it!

As I'm reading these posts, I'm looking at your stats...you guys are doing AMAZING!!! Way to go on all the weight lost!! :)

BarbDe 04-23-2007 03:07 PM

Mmmmm. This was really good leftover too!
Definitely a keeper recipe! And I am forwarding it to all my friends!
Thanks again!

Meli-Mel 04-23-2007 07:24 PM

I'm having a slice right now and it is delicious! Definitely not eggy. Very spinachy and somewhat dense. I used the sundried tomato/basil cheese and it's very good! I think it would also be tasty with cheddar cheese and some diced, cooked bacon. Thanks for the recipe!

brittanilh 04-23-2007 08:42 PM

I made this Sunday night and had a VERY hard time watching my portions and I don't even LIKE spinach! This was the best spinach recipe I have had to date! Yum! Thanks Linda!!

BB in MN 04-23-2007 09:44 PM

Made this Sunday to have for lunches this week. Excellent!
I used 3 eggs and 1 egg white, I used 2% milk cheddar cheese, and 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I needed to cut the fat and calories a little so it fit into my meal plans.

Thanks for the recipe it is really great and I love spinach:high5:

Beth

BarbDe 04-24-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittanilh (Post 8522788)
I made this Sunday night and had a VERY hard time watching my portions and I don't even LIKE spinach! This was the best spinach recipe I have had to date! Yum! Thanks Linda!!

You mean this isn't a single serving recipe??? :rofl:

J/K. I shared with DS. He loved it too. But I did have 2 servings (although that was all I had for dinner the one night) and finished it off the next night!

JillianDC 04-24-2007 08:19 PM

Thank you so much for this recipe! I tried it tonight and my DH, DD and I all loved it! I didn't have scallions, so I used yellow onion and I substituted dill for parsley, but they worked great. I guess there's always room for personalizing, but the basic recipe is fantastic. I'm so glad to have a great spinach dish to add to my repertoire. We can't wait for leftovers tomorrow night! :)

babydollsea 04-25-2007 02:58 AM

I made this yesterday for dinner....Awesome! I also had a hard time passing up seconds...definitely a keeper...

thanks so much for the recipe!

Marla :)

DixieMoon 05-04-2007 01:27 PM

Looks delish. May try this recipe this weekend. Anyone have the carb count?

Pompom2 05-04-2007 09:26 PM

I made this the other night and while I LOVED it, DH and DD hated it. The weird part is they love spinach and I dont.:confused: Not quite sure what their problem was. Well, at least there was more for me.:kicking:

BB in MN 05-05-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB in MN (Post 8522927)
Made this Sunday to have for lunches this week. Excellent!
I used 3 eggs and 1 egg white, I used 2% milk cheddar cheese, and 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I needed to cut the fat and calories a little so it fit into my meal plans.

Thanks for the recipe it is really great and I love spinach:high5:

Beth

I also did not do the parmesan, tomato, pam topping (I forgot that part!!)
This is what I got according to Mastercook for the recipe I made which I figured 4 servings:

Cal 298
Fat 21
Carb 6
Fiber 2
Prot 24

jackieba 05-05-2007 07:13 AM

I made it accord to the orig recipe and we loved it. Made 4 nice servings.
Thanks for the recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach "Pie"

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 eggs
3 ounces cream cheese -- softened
1/2 tsp salt

Add and Mix Well: