Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Best Fish for Grilling??

Can someone please give me tips on grilling fresh fish please. What type of fish is best for grilling?, how do you do it so it doesn't fall apart?, what is your favorite way to grill it?, and what is your favorite recipe for grilled fish? I just got a new gas grill and have been having good luck cooking on it until I tried fresh fish tonight. I tried halibut and it was a total flop. We ended up having grilled hot dogs instead, lol. And the dog got the fish, . She loved it at least.

I know there are so many good cooks on this board I'm sure to get great answers here. I'm really an absolute beginner at this so please don't assume I know a thing about grilling fish at all. :blush: :blush:

Thanks in advance.

Sandy

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Sandy!

Personally, I think a good meaty fish like tuna, swordfish, mahi mahi - are the best choices for grilling. They don't flake and fall apart! Get a nice thick steak, brush with olive oil, season it a bit if you like with some dill or some blackening spice (Emeril's makes one that's good) or some Old Bay seasoning. Grill about 8 minutes per inch of thickness - so a 1" steak I grill 4 minutes, turn and grill another 4. You don't want to overcook it. Tuna is good grilled rare, maybe 2 minutes per side. Overcooked it's pretty nasty but grilled rare it's tender good eats!

You can make a tartar sauce if you want with mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, and some dill or SF sweet pickle relish, I also like a touch of horseradish in mine; or just eat with a wedge of lemon squeezed over the top.

HTH!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #3

Thanks Char,
Any more ideas out there??
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
Salmon is a great fish to grill. Rub some olive oil on it and sprinkle with salt, and lemon pepper and dill weed.
I've had good luck grilling halibut, marinading in olive oil, oregano, garlic and lemon. I might have wrapped it in foil.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #5

I wish I'd wrapped the halibut in foil b/c it totally fell apart on the grill. It wasn't firm at all. I love salmon but DH....not so much. Maybe I can get him to try it again. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

Gallery: Roni
Stats: 5'2" - 154/148/130
WOE: Nutrisystem
Start Date: September, 2011
You can grill just about any fish or seafood on cedar planks. I hope it stops raining soon because I want to make some. I was just talking with a friend about this tonight! It's not limited to salmon! I've done some fab scallops and shrimp on cedar planks... I want to try different woods too. Whole Foods had some other types that looked interesting. It makes for easy clean up also. Just make sure you soak your planks first.
Roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 AM   #7

When you cook fish on them do you still turn the fish? And if so, does it stick to the plank and does it fall apart when you turn it if it's a light fish like halibut or tilapia? Can you taste the wood taste from the plank? I've seen them but was a little skeered of them, lol. I'm thinking maybe a fish basket too? Any users of those?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
I bought a metal mesh sheet at the grocery store that is specifically made for grilling delicate items....It looks like a cookie sheet, but the grid is much smaller than your grill rack....I found it in the cooking misc. aisle.....I cook every type of fish on it, because the openings are too small to allow the fish to fall through, but still large enough for the flames to still get to the food.....

You might keep your eye out for one.....

I also have a flat, hinged grill basket that works great....You just flip it over to turn the food....

Last edited by LeighDear; 04-13-2007 at 05:36 AM..
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote