Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Creamy white gravy without gums or flours

I got this recipe from this board back in 2003 and have used it many times since then. I just did a search to find any tweaks on it and came up blank so thought I'd post it again and add my tweaks! We love it, thanks so much for the basic recipe, CatDogsKids!

[COLOR="Blue"]CatDogsKids’ Sausage Gravy

I have made sausage gravy & it tastes WONDERFUL! Use a pound roll of sausage & cook it all in a skillet until done (crumbled). Leave all grease in the pan! In a bowl, stir one egg into 2 cups of cream. When this is all combined, pour the cream/egg mixture into the sausage & grease. Stir, stir, stir. Because of the grease, it may come out looking kind of orange, but I guarantee you it tastes like sausage gravy we used to have!! Yum![/COLOR]

Now for my tweaks;
I've used hamburger, poultry and even made creamed eggs from the basic idea. I do prefer a thicker "gravy" so I use 1 whole large egg to 1 cup heavy cream. You can double or triple this recipe if needed.

For the poultry, if I'm using a roasted bird, I use the pan drippings (maybe a couple of Tbsp. to 1/4 cup per 2 cups cream and 2 eggs) or if it's not browned drippings, like from the slow cooker, I will put some poultry meat and the drippings in a skillet, boil off the broth and brown them up before adding the cream/egg mix on low-very low heat. After you add the cream/egg you must start stirring immediately or you will end with scrambled egg pieces in the gravy (lumps, I use a silicone spatula or whisk to stir). Stir constantly until desired thickness is reached then remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste before adding to pan or after, it really doen't matter when. This usually doesn't take more than 5 minutes or so to become thick.

For creamed eggs, I just make the gravy without pan drippings (you could use browned butter or bacon drippings if you wanted) in a Pamed skillet and then add sliced hard boiled eggs until they warm. (I also add a touch of garlic powder to the cream and love it. You could use nutmeg if you like.) Pour over any toasted LC bread. Yummy!

Hope you all enjoy as much as we do!

Last edited by Deannie; 04-12-2007 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: forgot the garlic powder in the eggs
Deannie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
Wow!....I've never seen that recipe before, and I am a SERIOUS gravy lover....

I'm betting the cream/egg base would make great swedish meatballs....The nutmeg and some paprika to flavor it....

I'm definitely gonna try this....

Thanks!!!
LeighDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ohh , if it turns out I hope you'll share the recipe with all of us! Sounds wonderful and I haven't had Swedish meatballs in years.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Jeska
Stats: 246/212.5/180
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: January 8, 2007
Wow, cool! It's like a savory Creme Anglais (sp?) I Gravy
Jeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Roni
Stats: 5'2" - 154/148/130
WOE: Nutrisystem
Start Date: September, 2011
Deannie, thanks for this idea! I was looking for a recipe for a basic bechamel sauce recently because I wanted to make creamed eggs. I'm going to try this!
Roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm hitting the grocery store tomorrow, Deannie....I always make my meatballs with ground beef AND pork.....I LOVE that combination.....

I'll report back!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

WOWWWWW!!!!

I made Swedish meatballs & did the cream gravy.....YUUUUMMMM!

Just as Deannie described, I whisked 1 cup of heavy cream with one whole egg. I seasoned with 1 heaping tsp. of Hungarian Paprika, some dried dill weed, onion powder and salt & pepper.....Poured it in a small saucepan, put it on low heat and started whisking the crap out of it...Slowly increase the heat, bit by bit....Do NOT stop whisking.....By the time you get to medium heat, you notice it starting to thicken....KEEP Whisking!....

Take it off the heat and still keep whisking....you need to slowly cool it back down so the egg doesn't coagulate into clumps.....

DELICIOUS!.....You don't even taste the egg, and I HATE things that are too eggy tasting...

You could adjust this to so many different flavors....
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

That does sound delicious, LeighDear! I'll have to give it a try soon. Glad it worked out for you too.
Isn't it amazing that the two ingredients (plus salt and pepper) can make good gravy?

When I cook mine I hadn't thought to increase the heat. I'd end up with creamy scrambled eggs But hey, what ever works for each of us.. and I take mine right off the heat and into a serving dish so I guess the cooler dish helps it stop cooking. Mine hasn't scrambled after I stopped yet..
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

It's SOOOO gradual, Deannie...I'm using an electric range now, where I PREFER and used to use gas....

Which do you use?......

Gas is so much easier to control....With electric, I stood there and obsessed over evey second of the cooking....

BUT, it came out so YUMMY!...I WILL spend the time!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Thanks for the recipe - I HATE the slimy texture of the "gums" - I can have gravy AGAIN!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:07 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Does this ever sound wonderful, I am a serious gravey lover as well! Can't wait to try it.
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

LeighDear, I've used an electric stove, back when we lived in appts., since we've been able to buy a home I always look for/or have Dh change me to a gas stove. I love them. I control the heat, not some "dial".

Barbara Ray, that 'slimy' gum feel is why I decided to try this recipe in the first place. HATE that slime!

So happy I brought this up again and others can enjoy too!
Hope you all post any tweaks you make and the results. It's always nice to learn new ways of using these foods we choose to eat.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
could you use liquid egg in this? or does it have to be a whole egg? and also does it have to be cream or will cc milk work?
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Brendajm,
I was thinking about different "milks" and this recipe this morning. I can say I haven't tried it any other way but...I was thinking about my FIL and his love of gravy and how MIL used to make his with evaporated milk and thought to myself that it would probably work using that too, so I'm thinking it just might work with any type "milk" as long has it had dairy in it? I think the liquid egg would work too, but... All you can do is try and see how it comes out. Please post a result if you do try.

Have any others tried this? If so please post results. If it didn't work out maybe some of us can help.

Today we had brunch and I used some leftover pepperocini roast with broth and fat to make this. It was FANTASTIC! I had about 6 ounces of roast and maybe 2 Tbsp. broth (DH does not like "Hot" foods or I would have thrown in some of the chopped pepperocinis too) with about 1 Tbsp. fat from the roast. I heated it all up along with some cauliflower until the cauli. was tender. Removed the meat and veggies to a serving bowl and cooked down the broth until it browned/dried up then adjusted my heat and added the 1 c. cream/egg mix and salt/pepper and started stirring until thickened, poured it back over the meat and veggies. YUM! will do this one again. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------
I'm still thinking on this so...I'm wondering if I was wrong and other "milks" would work to. Don't some recipes use coconut milk and egg to make custards? This would be along the same lines and so other milks should work as well. I don't have a clue (shrugs), sorry.

Last edited by Deannie; 04-19-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: still thinking
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Making gravy like this works well with the immersion blenders. Or you may call it a stick blender. You don't have to whisk by hand just push the button. This works well even for Guar or Xanthum Gum's too.

You can stick this directly in the pan.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 04-19-2007 at 12:33 PM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

AWSOME idea, Skeeter!....I've actually been toying with the idea of getting one....I tend to go "low-tech" with cooking equipment, but that bad boy could be VERY useful!.....

And I've always liked Braun products....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I have a stick blender too, but haven't tried it for this. I guess it would work but it's so easy the other way I just haven't bothered. Good idea for those who use their blenders more than I.

Tonight I had some left over pumpkin to use up and turned the basic recipe into a stovetop creamy pumpkin pudding/custard.

Took the basic 1 c. cream and 1 egg, well beaten with 6 drops sweetzfree and 1/2 tsp. vanilla, added 3/4 c. pumpkin with 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. Placed it all in a pan and stirred well to blend. I cooked it just like the gravy. Stirring constantly. Cool and eat. Makes 4 servings.

It was delicious and I didn't have to turn on the oven!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Bump to subscribe.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
I'm going to try this to thicken soups, love thick bisques!
Thank you for the idea!
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
I tried this recipe yesterday with some pork I cooked in the crock pot. It worked great! It was thick and creamy
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, guess what I had for lunch? The heated up leftover pork with the egg/cream gravy I made yesterday

It did get thicker and I had to add a little water, but I didn't get any separation or anything when I nuked a bowl. Tasted fine too.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Wow, that's good to know,wifezilla! I hadn't had any leftover to reheat yet. Great to know I can make extra and use it later. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
carbs??
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Used the basic gravy to make a hamburger helper type dish that my grandsons (3 and 4 years old) loved. They usually take 30-45 minutes to finish a meal but this one was gone in 15!

Steamed 3 cups of green beans and made sure they were pretty dry.
I browned and crumbled a pound of burger with 1/4 c. chopped onion. Placed this in the serving dish so I could use the same pan to make the cheese gravy. So.. in the pan I used for the hamburger I cooked 1 cup heavy cream with 1 large egg well combined, and a dash of garlic powder, until thickened. Then with the gravy still over low heat I stirred in 4 ounces of shredded 4 cheese mexican blend until well melted and smooth. Added back the hamb/onion and the green beans. Stirred well to combine and coat it all. Pour into the serving dish and serve. We got 4 servings.

I will be making this again
Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Well...eggs and cream. Not very many.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cocapelle
WOE: Atkins
This is going in my recipe file, today!
Cocapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Bumping for any up-dated versions.
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DEEDLYNN
I see some new dishes in my future.

Thanks!!

Dee
DEEDLYNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
BUMP TO REMIND MYSELF
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lbecker28
WOE: M&E
My mom use to make white gravy with shaved ham in it all the time. I am going to try this with the ham and serve it over mashed cauliflower.
lbecker28 is offline   Reply With Quote