Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shell11
Cool whip, etc?

Just a couple of questions I was hoping to get help with. Is cool-whip okay to have? Is soy milk lower in carbs than skim milk? Is jello instant pudding mix (prepared with skim milk) acceptable?

I did Atkins years ago with good results and am back to it again. This is day 2 of Induction for me so I'm just getting reaquainted with the guidelines. I'm 5'4" and weigh 163 ( Don't know how that happened! Any ideas on how much I could lose on Induction??

Thanks!
Shell11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell11 View Post
Just a couple of questions I was hoping to get help with. Is cool-whip okay to have? Is soy milk lower in carbs than skim milk? Is jello instant pudding mix (prepared with skim milk) acceptable?

I did Atkins years ago with good results and am back to it again. This is day 2 of Induction for me so I'm just getting reaquainted with the guidelines. I'm 5'4" and weigh 163 ( Don't know how that happened! Any ideas on how much I could lose on Induction??

Thanks!
Cool whip - NO! Read those ingredients - sounds like a recipe for plastic or something. Go with REAL whipped cream, made with your hand mixer, sweetener of choice (Splenda or whatever you like) and REAL vanilla - so much better and MUCH better for you.

Soy milk is low in carbs but shouldn't be used on induction. I don't use it at all any more, too much info saying it may not be very healthy for you particularly if you are prone to thyroid problems. When you get to ongoing weight loss, you might look into almond milk (by Blue Diamond) instead.

Skim milk is a no-no on Atkins. Carby, and this is NOT a no-fat eating plan. Again, heavy cream or half & half are preferable, and the pudding mix is also not an induction food. Try SF jello instead, with some of that whipped cream on top.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend reading one of the Atkins books from cover to cover so you really understand WHAT you are doing, WHY you are doing it, and HOW to do it right so you can maximize your results!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Whipping cream isn't hard to make into whipped cream especially if you have a stick blender. But an electric mixer works too.

1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup splenda
1 tsp vanilla

With an electric mixer on high speed or your stick blender with the flat disk made for whipping, whip the heavy cream until frothy. Add sugar substitute and extract and whip on high speed until soft peaks form. Be careful not to over whip or the cream can break down.

Store leftovers in the refrigerator but I have found it looses the thickness the longer it is in the fridge so try and make only as much as you need.

Or go to Walmart and buy the Land O Lakes sugar free whipped cream in the can. OH YUM! This is made with just whipping cream and splenda.

It's nothing like cool whip which now that I know to me it's
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 04-05-2007 at 06:30 AM..
SkeeterN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
You could check your grocery for Calorie Countdown milk--it's 3 carbs per cup and tastes very good in my opinion. Those SF pudding mixes have alot of carbs in them--I've seen anywhere from 20 to 32 per package before you add anything to it. I avoid them but the jello is fine. Land O Lakes makes a SF spray whipped cream sweetened with splenda--it's very good and convenient but it is cheaper to make your own.

How much people lose varies alot by individual but just hang in there and it will go away. You're about the same size as I started (except I'm an inch shorter than you)--now I'm at 123 and feel so much better. Hubby has gone from 250 to 205. We've been eating this way for a year and a half now. I tried Atkins unsuccessfully many years ago but I was just thinking "diet"--not a new way of eating--makes a big difference.

Start reading labels on whatever you buy--for example alot of times the reduced fat versions of products have more carbs than the regular (they have to replace the flavor with something).

For induction it's best to avoid sweets if you can--the idea is to stop cravings. Salads, green veggies, meat, eggs--those are best during induction.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote