Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PMcmil5450
Pound Cake

I'm looking for a good low-carb pound cake recipe to use in a recipe I found called Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle, which should be very easy to make low-carb (I'll post it after I make it if it turns out!)

I have made LC pound cake with almond flour, and it's good, but I'm not sure it will hold up to being tossed with the juices of macerated strawberries. I see that the Carbquik pound cake recipe posted in the Recipe Room has pretty good reviews, but I'm a bit leery of an all Carbquik recipe due to the possible taste factor that may or may not be there. I thought perhaps that recipe, using almond flour in place of some of the Carbquik, might be a possibility.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anybody with a TNT recipe that you think would work best with the "juice-tossing" factor?

Many thanks!
Pam
PMcmil5450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Roni
Stats: 5'2" - 154/148/130
WOE: Nutrisystem
Start Date: September, 2011
I have made the Carbquick pound cake several times. I make it in a Bundt pan. My family devours it before it can even finish cooling! None of us have noticed any off-taste from Carbquick. Others may tell you they don't like it... But we sure did.
Roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Roni...maybe that's the one to try! Would you say it has enough substance to not crumble apart when tossing with the juices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni View Post
I have made the Carbquick pound cake several times. I make it in a Bundt pan. My family devours it before it can even finish cooling! None of us have noticed any off-taste from Carbquick. Others may tell you they don't like it... But we sure did.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #4

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Pam, I'm not really sure what you mean about the pound cake not falling apart..
You could freeze it, cut it up and then toss..The cubes of cake will thaw easily before you eat it.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn,

While it's been awhile since I made it, I seem to recall that the pound cake made with almond flour was somewhat crumbly, and I was thinking that it might not hold up as well to being tossed in the strawberry juices as would regular pound cake. So I was looking for a LC pound cake that had a less crumbly texture. I am leaning toward the Carbquik one. In any event, I like your idea of freezing it first...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Pam, I'm not really sure what you mean about the pound cake not falling apart..
You could freeze it, cut it up and then toss..The cubes of cake will thaw easily before you eat it.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcmil5450 View Post
Thanks Roni...maybe that's the one to try! Would you say it has enough substance to not crumble apart when tossing with the juices?
The texture is like regular pound cake, not at all crumbly. I'm not sure how much "juice" your recipe calls for, but I would think it could be cubed and should hold up fine in a trifle.

It sounds delicious, by the way! Would you share the recipe?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great input Roni...I'm going to take your advice and make the Carbquik poundcake. I will post the Trifle recipe after I make it...I want to see how it turns out first !

Quote:
The texture is like regular pound cake, not at all crumbly. I'm not sure how much "juice" your recipe calls for, but I would think it could be cubed and should hold up fine in a trifle.

It sounds delicious, by the way! Would you share the recipe?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Hi Roni, I have one more question about the Carbquik pound cake. Do you use the salt called for in the recipe? I know that people have commented about leaving out the salt and using unsalted butter in Carbquik recipes in order to lessen that salty sort of taste you sometimes get depending on the recipe...or do you make it exactly according to the recipe?

Thanks again!
Pam

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #9

I made it according to the recipe and it turned out fine for me. I hope you like it!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
I have made the Carbquick pound cake several times. I make it in a Bundt pan.
Does this cake have to be made in a bundt pan, or is that just your personal preference? I'm very fond of pound cake, but I don't have a bundt pan. I have a gazillion other types of pans, but alas, no bundt pan. Do you think it might work in a loaf pan, or some other shape?

I'm asking about the pan because I know that angelfood cake must have a tube pan in order to bake properly. I don't have one of those, either.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #11

I don't know, I have only made it in a Bundt pan... Maybe someone else has made it in another type of pan...?

Pam, did you try the recipe? I just made it yesterday for my birthday cake. It's as good as ever.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Hi Roni, yes I did make it for the trifle recipe. I thought it had a little bit of the carbquik taste, although not a lot. I also thought it turned out a tad dry, but that worked out great for the recipe since you have to toss it with strawberry juices...it held up very well. I may add a little bit of sour cream the next time (was used in a different pound cake recipe I saw), and substitute some of the carbquik with almond flour. But all in all it was a pretty good recipe...thanks again.

I did have to chuckle at the directions to "pour into pan" as there is no way that batter pours!!

I WILL poste the trifle recipe in a new post soon, I promise!

Pam

Quote:
I don't know, I have only made it in a Bundt pan... Maybe someone else has made it in another type of pan...?

Pam, did you try the recipe? I just made it yesterday for my birthday cake. It's as good as ever.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Use Linda Sue's almond pound cake recipe. It tastes very old world, and it's plenty sturdy. It'll stand up to anything.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcmil5450 View Post
Hi Roni, yes I did make it for the trifle recipe. I thought it had a little bit of the carbquik taste, although not a lot. I also thought it turned out a tad dry, but that worked out great for the recipe since you have to toss it with strawberry juices...it held up very well. I may add a little bit of sour cream the next time (was used in a different pound cake recipe I saw), and substitute some of the carbquik with almond flour. But all in all it was a pretty good recipe...thanks again.

I did have to chuckle at the directions to "pour into pan" as there is no way that batter pours!!

I WILL poste the trifle recipe in a new post soon, I promise!

Pam
I'm glad it worked out for your trifle! I agree, I rolled my eyes at the "pouring" instructions. I scrape the batter out with a rubber spatula!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Roni - Belated
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #16