Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Has anyone made Linda Sue's Bavarian Apple Cheesecake? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/486169-has-anyone-made-linda-sues-bavarian-apple-cheesecake.html)

WildflowerMama 04-03-2007 01:13 PM

Has anyone made Linda Sue's Bavarian Apple Cheesecake?

I'm thinking about making this for Easter. Does anyone know, if the crust reads like this:
1/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Carbalose flour *

Could I sub out almond meal for the carbalose flour? I don't have any and don't have time to get it by Easter.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Roni 04-03-2007 01:40 PM

Yes, I've made it and it was AWESOME. One of the best LC desserts I've ever tried. And it was pretty, too... It ought to make a great dessert for your Easter dinner! :)

I don't know about the almond meal, though... But I'm sure someone else here can answer.

Tweaker Geek 04-03-2007 06:12 PM

I have made it and its wonderful! I don't see why you couldn't use the almond flour for the crust.

seriouschick 04-03-2007 06:14 PM

It is FANTASTIC. Easily, the best LC dessert I've ever made (hands down)...and honestly, one of the best desserts I've ever made -- period. (And I used to bake all the time!)

It's super easy, delicious!!!!

halldot 04-03-2007 07:28 PM

Excellent recipe!! Tastes great and looks great too! My crust was a bit dry and crumbly, so I bet the almond flour would be a good substitute. I'm no expert though so hopefully the experts around here will respond.

Dottie

Mel78 04-04-2007 06:20 AM

AWESOME DESSERT!!! I made it using almond flour for the crust and it was great!!! I also added in a dash of cinnamon with the crust just for extra flavor and to offset the almond flavor a little...

Hannamom 04-04-2007 06:24 AM

Mama

It is a great dessert and I have made it several times. I do think it would work to sub the almond flour. Do you have any flaxmeal, regular or golden? You could add that too..might give it a little better texture.

HAPPY EASTER!

HANNAMOM

WildflowerMama 04-04-2007 06:54 AM

Thank you everyone! I'm going to try it :D I'm so excited about being prepared this holiday! I will not be tempted by chocolate or other desserts I know I shouldn't have if I am prepared :D

Acutepenguin 04-04-2007 09:43 AM

This is, by far, the very best cheesecake I have ever made. Non-LCers can't even tell it's LC. I have a Granny Smith apple in my fruit bowl -- maybe I should make one.... :)

WildflowerMama 04-09-2007 10:42 AM

Wow!!! This was amazing!

If anyone is curious, you can substitute almond flour for the carbalose in the crust. I added more almond flour than the recipe called for - probably 1 1/4c because the crust was too wet. But, this recipe is absolutely fantastic. I loved it and it got tons of raves :D Thanks Linda Sue!

Crink 04-09-2007 10:44 AM

I added some cinnamon and chopped pecans to the crust. It was a major hit at Easter!!! It is fabulous and really pretty!

Doggygirl 04-09-2007 10:51 AM

Hi there. I've been away from low carb for a long time - and now working to get my butt back on the wagon. Who is Linda Sue and where do you get her recipes? (on-line? book?)

Thanks!!!!!

DG

WildflowerMama 04-09-2007 12:20 PM

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Doggygirl 04-09-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildflowerMama (Post 8446545)

Thanks a million. I was actually hunting around in my favorites and on the net the other day looking for this site - couldn't find or remember the address. I'm SO GLAD to have it again. It's locked in my favorites for good now!

DG

dawnpacz 04-12-2007 05:52 AM

This was the most amazing low carb dessert I have ever made! I made this for Easter dessert, except we had it for breakfast (everyone was full from dinner). I used almond flour in the crust. It was wonderful.
Dawn

StacyW 04-13-2007 04:30 PM

Made this last night. Used a can of SF apple pie filling on the top. Worked well! Love this a lot!

Tweaker Geek 04-13-2007 04:46 PM

Jeez, I just made one of these last week and went and bought granny smith apples - never thought of the S.F. apple pie filling I have 2-3 cans of on the panty shelf!:stars:

By the way the cheesecake was delicious. In fact I'm going to eat the last piece later tonight!:D

LindaSue 04-14-2007 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswalker1992 (Post 8471099)
Made this last night. Used a can of SF apple pie filling on the top. Worked well! Love this a lot!

Did you bake the cheesecake with the apple pie filling on it or top the cheesecake with it when you served it?

StacyW 04-14-2007 08:07 AM

I baked it on top. Still added the almonds and the cinnamon sugar. It was so pretty and definitely one of the best desserts I have ever made!

LindaSue 04-14-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswalker1992 (Post 8473264)
I baked it on top. Still added the almonds and the cinnamon sugar. It was so pretty and definitely one of the best desserts I have ever made!

Thanks for the tip. It might come in handy when I don't want to bother peeling and slicing apples or the apples in the store don't look so hot.

Woman Typing Badly 04-14-2007 10:46 AM

[COLOR="Red"]I found some Sf caramel syrup and was wondering if that would work drizzled over the top when served? Opinions?[/COLOR]

LindaSue 04-14-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woman Typing Badly (Post 8473901)
[COLOR="Red"]I found some Sf caramel syrup and was wondering if that would work drizzled over the top when served? Opinions?[/COLOR]

I don't see why not. Sounds like a yummy idea.

Tweaker Geek 04-14-2007 04:26 PM

Sounds good to me Robin. I have some S.F. Caramel Ice Cream Topping I think may be good here. Heated and just a bit over the top. Even though it's S.F. it still has 11 carbs per 2 Tbsp., but for a special dessert I think it would work out ok. Probably 2 Tbsp. would be enough for the little added flavor anyway and divided out into 10 servings would only add 1.2 carbs. When I made this recently I used liquid splenda and splenda quick pack for the sugars so that cut the carbs a bit more.

Beth728 04-17-2007 05:18 AM

Thanks! Made the recipe yesterday (used almond meal for the crust) and it is one of the best desserts I have ever tasted.

rexsreine 04-19-2007 09:58 AM

Finally baked this...wow

Thank you, Linda Sue, for this recipe. I had been wanting to try it for months and finally did it yesterday. My DH said, " This is company-good!" He is normally as temperate as a camel, but even he had to have a second slice upon completion of the first.

I did a couple of tweaks based on our personal tastes: used 1/2 carbquick and 1/2 almond flour for the crust, used chopped pecans for the almonds, used more sweetener, added the grated rind of one fresh lemon.

It was so wonderful. I'll be making again and again.

Many thanks to Linda Sue for her generosity in sharing.:clap:

Ginny

stickergoddess 05-20-2007 03:46 PM

I finally made this- it is great! I did cheat a little and use the s/f canned apples- the cake turned out so nice. Thank you Linda Sue for sharing this recipe.

stickergoddess 05-20-2007 04:15 PM

has anyone tried to freeze this?

That Girl 05-21-2007 02:52 PM

i have, and the pieces were individually wrapped. thawed out very nicely, tasted as good as fresh. great recipe!

Vanessa120 11-20-2011 03:25 AM

BUMP! :)

This is a bump with a question. I have done a search and scoured the threads on the Linda Sue's Bavarian Apple Cheesecake. For those of you who made the crust with Almond Flour, did you bake your crust before filling? The original recipe calls for Carbalose Flour and you do not bake the crust before filling.

Happy Thanksgiving!

LindaSue 11-20-2011 06:24 AM

Just guessing, Vanessa, but I don't think you'd have to pre-bake it. If you don't need to pre-bake a crust made with flour or Carbalose, I would think that would also be true for almond flour, especially since it won't actually be raw dough like the flour versions. The original high carb recipe doesn't say to pre-bake the crust and that used to freak me out every time I made it. It would seem like the crust would come out soggy or raw but it doesn't.