Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Cheesesteak Manicotti

Cheesesteak Manicotti


*8 Steak-ums/minute steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of Shredded Mozzerala cheese
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley flakes
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Cup of Low carb Tomato Sauce

Preheat oven to 350* Fry up the 8 minute steaks and let them drain on paper Towels. In a medium bowl, combine: Ricotti Cheese, egg, Mozzerala Cheese, Parmensan Cheese, Parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

Lay one Steak-um flat. Place about 3 heaping tablespoons of the Filling mixture on one side of the Steak-um. Roll it up. Place it in a 8X8X2 Glass baking dish. Repeat until all 8 steak-ums are filled and in the baking dish (you will have leftover filling) Pour 1 Cup of Tomato Sauce on top of the Caserole.
Cover with Aluminum Foil and bake for about 25 Minutes.

Remove from Oven and let Sit for a few minutes (for the filling to set)

It's now ready to serve.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,381
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
Cheesesteak Manicotti


*8 Steak-ums/minute steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of Shredded Mozzerala cheese
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley flakes
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Cup of Low carb Tomato Sauce

Preheat oven to 350* Fry up the 8 minute steaks and let them drain on paper Towels. In a medium bowl, combine: Ricotti Cheese, egg, Mozzerala Cheese, Parmensan Cheese, Parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

Lay one Steak-um flat. Place about 3 heaping tablespoons of the Filling mixture on one side of the Steak-um. Roll it up. Place it in a 8X8X2 Glass baking dish. Repeat until all 8 steak-ums are filled and in the baking dish (you will have leftover filling) Pour 1 Cup of Tomato Sauce on top of the Caserole.
Cover with Aluminum Foil and bake for about 25 Minutes.

Remove from Oven and let Sit for a few minutes (for the filling to set)

It's now ready to serve.
I have all these ingredients except the ricotta and the sauce. I think I am sending my ds to the store! Would the filling for this be enough if I doubled well at least the ricotta? Could I stretch that?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Double the ricotta to stretch it? I'm not sure what you are asking.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
You don't want to use more ricotta then is called for in the recipe or they "manicotti" wouldn't Hold up.

If you have a larger container of Ricotta...Just use Half of it.

Is that what you are asking?
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
nicole714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,134
Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
mmmm this sounds delicious!!!
nicole714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,381
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
You don't want to use more ricotta then is called for in the recipe or they "manicotti" wouldn't Hold up.

If you have a larger container of Ricotta...Just use Half of it.

Is that what you are asking?
You said a 15 oz container for 8 steaks, I want to double this and wondered if I had to buy 2 containers or could I just use less in each one to make this stretch. I will buy a big one.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Pam in TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,804
Gallery: Pam in TX
Stats: 292/212/???
WOE: LowCarb
Start Date: June 21, 2004
I know what is for dinner tonight at my house............... This sounds wonderful...............
Pam in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!
 
BarbDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 6,834
Gallery: BarbDe
Stats: Quit smoking 11/4/07; 16/10/10 on 11/30/12
WOE: Low carb/Paleo/& Crossfit!
Start Date: August 2004
This does sound great!
Thanks!
BarbDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
You said a 15 oz container for 8 steaks, I want to double this and wondered if I had to buy 2 containers or could I just use less in each one to make this stretch. I will buy a big one.
LOL I'm a little "Slow". Sorry about that. Yes, just buy the Big Container if you are going to "double" the recipe.

I guess I didn't have enough Coffee before I read your post.:blush:
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Guest
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,578
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Very nice recipe Tooter. I tweaked it a tad but just small ones....lol.

*4 half chicken breasts (pounded thin)
*8 thin cut sirloin tip steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of 6 cheese blend.
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 med. zucchini (shredded and squeezed dry)
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Jar of 4 cheese spaghetti sauce

I put the filling together subbing zucchini for parsley.
fried the steaks and breasts.
rolled filling up the steaks.
put the excess filling between 2 chicken breasts and covered with sauce.

Baked 40 minutes covered.

Yum Yum!!

Steak Manicotti



Chicken Manicotti

Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Your "Tweaks" look good, Kevin!

Just wanted to add (for other ideas) I have used the "Chicken" Steak-ums to make a Burrito type filling.

I still used the ricotta, but added Shredded Cheddar Cheese to it, some Black Soy beans and some mexican spices. I then put it in the casserole dish and put a can of Green Chili Sauce (it's low in carbs) and baked it. Served it with Salsa and sour cream.

You can do that with the chicken Breasts too. BTW, did you see the Chicken Strombi Recipe I posted? It actually is my favorite!

I also live in PA. I'm in Central PA
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,732
Gallery: momov2boys
Your recipe sounds great, Tooter!
Thanks for posting!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Guest
 
Kevinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,578
Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooter View Post
BTW, did you see the Chicken Strombi Recipe I posted? It actually is my favorite!

I also live in PA. I'm in Central PA
Yes I saw that but since I had extra filling I was looking for something quick to wrap it in. Unfortunately I was not able to pound the chicken breast flat enough to roll so I just put in the middle. My DD said "wow this tastes alot like chicken parmesan" and it did.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,732
Gallery: momov2boys
OMG!!!

We just had these for dinner and they are to die for!
SO YUMMY!!!

I used FF Ricotta and 1 C RF Mozzarella & 1/4 C parmesan.
It filled 10 steak-ums really full.

Next time I will either fill 16 steak-ums with the same amount of filling or 1/2 the filling recipe for 8 steaks.

Thanks again, so much, for this recipe.
It's a keeper!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
We just had these for dinner and they are to die for!
SO YUMMY!!!

I used FF Ricotta and 1 C RF Mozzarella & 1/4 C parmesan.
It filled 10 steak-ums really full.

Next time I will either fill 16 steak-ums with the same amount of filling or 1/2 the filling recipe for 8 steaks.

Thanks again, so much, for this recipe.
It's a keeper!
I'm so glad you liked it.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
nicole714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,134
Gallery: nicole714
Stats: 18/12/8
WOE: lowcarb
Tooter I finally made these and they were fantastic!!
I LOVE steak-ums but unfortunately DH has tummy problems with them so I also tried a variation florentine recipe that turned out well too.

I went to the deli and got roasted turkey sliced thick
(thick enough to roll with and not fall apart)

and for the filling I used
1 container riccotta
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic pwdr
1 sm pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained well
1/4 c parmesan cheese

I rolled them and topped them with LC tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Baked at 350 until the cheese melted approx 30-40 min.

The turkey was delicious I may try them again with roast beef!
__________________
Started Atkins on May 27, 2003
Re-Inducted many times
nicole714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
ska53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 642
Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
These sound heavenly, has anyone tried freezing them? Can you freeze ricotta without losing quality?
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
debkeversole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: southern ky
Posts: 54,242
Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
marking my spot going to store in the morning!
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #19
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole714 View Post
Tooter I finally made these and they were fantastic!!
I LOVE steak-ums but unfortunately DH has tummy problems with them so I also tried a variation florentine recipe that turned out well too.

I went to the deli and got roasted turkey sliced thick
(thick enough to roll with and not fall apart)

and for the filling I used
1 container riccotta
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic pwdr
1 sm pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained well
1/4 c parmesan cheese

I rolled them and topped them with LC tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Baked at 350 until the cheese melted approx 30-40 min.

The turkey was delicious I may try them again with roast beef!
Nicole, that's an awesome Idea and recipe!! See, we just had to think outside the box.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 38,537
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I picked up some Steak-Ums today..Forgot the ricotta, but will get that tomorrow for tomorrow night's dinner..

Hmmm..How about using Steak-Ums as lasagne noodles??? I often use deli chicken as lasagne noodles and you can't even tell..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member
 
ska53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 642
Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
Tooter, how many servings did you have? I would love this but couldn't have it often due to the nutritional count. I ran it serving four and got the following.

Per Serving based on 4 servings: 409 Calories; 27g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 897mg Sodium.

Per Serving based on 8 servings: 204 Calories; 13g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 448mg Sodium.

I could have one if I used self control and froze the rest!
ska53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska53 View Post
Tooter, how many servings did you have? I would love this but couldn't have it often due to the nutritional count. I ran it serving four and got the following.

Per Serving based on 4 servings: 409 Calories; 27g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 897mg Sodium.

Per Serving based on 8 servings: 204 Calories; 13g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 448mg Sodium.

I could have one if I used self control and froze the rest!
Gosh, the guys always had 2 of them and I always ate Just one and had a salad with it.

It fills you up pretty fast (that's why I only ate one), must be all the fat in it. YIKES! lol
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!
 
CarolynF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 38,537
Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
We just finished dinner and made these wonderful manicottis..Fussy ds loved them..I gave him 2 with salad, I had 1 with salad..Dh was at a business meeting, so he missed out..These are going to be a "keeper" at my house, for sure.

The Mexican version sounds good, too..Thanks, Tooter..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member
 
dcarlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 879
Gallery: dcarlee
Stats: 350/280/200
I used to make these with deli turkey all the time. I had forgotten about them. I think I will try it next week.
dcarlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Barbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Ca. San Juan Capistrano
Posts: 4,016
Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Steak Umms

Always wondered what could be done with these guys. We used
to do sandwiches. Anyone think of other uses for them?

This manicotti looks like a real winner. Thanks, I'm going to see where
I can purchase these steaks.

Thanks for the recipe. Such ingenious cooks we have here.

Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Tyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 15,338
Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
what exactly is a steakum?
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #27
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,825
Gallery: Tooter
Stats: 5' 6" and 128 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantyl03 View Post
what exactly is a steakum?
Minute steaks. Very, VERY, Thin steaks that fry up in a "minute".

Think of the type of meat on a "Cheese Steak" Hoagie.
Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #28
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Tyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 15,338
Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
and where does one get these?
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
24Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,645
Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Frozen section, where frozen burgers and stuff like that is

Tooter, I love anything with ricotta. this sounds yummy! and kevin's tweaks with chicken does too mmm.

Saving these recipes.
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,612
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I've wanted to try making this for the longest time but, alas, the only kind I can get around here is Wal-Mart's Great Value brand and they come already cut into little strips. That's great for making Philly cheesesteak but not very useful for something like this. Nobody sells Steak-Umm brand around here anymore. I suppose that some kind of deli meat would serve the same purpose.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.