Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cheesesteak Manicotti (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/485305-cheesesteak-manicotti.html)

Tooter 03-30-2007 06:30 AM

Cheesesteak Manicotti
 
Cheesesteak Manicotti


*8 Steak-ums/minute steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of Shredded Mozzerala cheese
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley flakes
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Cup of Low carb Tomato Sauce

Preheat oven to 350* Fry up the 8 minute steaks and let them drain on paper Towels. In a medium bowl, combine: Ricotti Cheese, egg, Mozzerala Cheese, Parmensan Cheese, Parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

Lay one Steak-um flat. Place about 3 heaping tablespoons of the Filling mixture on one side of the Steak-um. Roll it up. Place it in a 8X8X2 Glass baking dish. Repeat until all 8 steak-ums are filled and in the baking dish (you will have leftover filling) Pour 1 Cup of Tomato Sauce on top of the Caserole.
Cover with Aluminum Foil and bake for about 25 Minutes.

Remove from Oven and let Sit for a few minutes (for the filling to set)

It's now ready to serve.

SkeeterN 03-30-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 8396266)
Cheesesteak Manicotti


*8 Steak-ums/minute steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of Shredded Mozzerala cheese
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley flakes
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Cup of Low carb Tomato Sauce

Preheat oven to 350* Fry up the 8 minute steaks and let them drain on paper Towels. In a medium bowl, combine: Ricotti Cheese, egg, Mozzerala Cheese, Parmensan Cheese, Parsley flakes and salt and pepper.

Lay one Steak-um flat. Place about 3 heaping tablespoons of the Filling mixture on one side of the Steak-um. Roll it up. Place it in a 8X8X2 Glass baking dish. Repeat until all 8 steak-ums are filled and in the baking dish (you will have leftover filling) Pour 1 Cup of Tomato Sauce on top of the Caserole.
Cover with Aluminum Foil and bake for about 25 Minutes.

Remove from Oven and let Sit for a few minutes (for the filling to set)

It's now ready to serve.

I have all these ingredients except the ricotta and the sauce. I think I am sending my ds to the store! Would the filling for this be enough if I doubled well at least the ricotta? Could I stretch that?

Tooter 03-30-2007 06:36 AM

Double the ricotta to stretch it? I'm not sure what you are asking.

Tooter 03-30-2007 06:38 AM

You don't want to use more ricotta then is called for in the recipe or they "manicotti" wouldn't Hold up.

If you have a larger container of Ricotta...Just use Half of it.

Is that what you are asking?

nicole714 03-30-2007 06:45 AM

mmmm this sounds delicious!!!

SkeeterN 03-30-2007 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 8396296)
You don't want to use more ricotta then is called for in the recipe or they "manicotti" wouldn't Hold up.

If you have a larger container of Ricotta...Just use Half of it.

Is that what you are asking?

You said a 15 oz container for 8 steaks, I want to double this and wondered if I had to buy 2 containers or could I just use less in each one to make this stretch. I will buy a big one.

Pam in TX 03-30-2007 07:18 AM

I know what is for dinner tonight at my house...............;) This sounds wonderful...............

BarbDe 03-30-2007 07:26 AM

This does sound great!
Thanks!

Tooter 03-30-2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 8396421)
You said a 15 oz container for 8 steaks, I want to double this and wondered if I had to buy 2 containers or could I just use less in each one to make this stretch. I will buy a big one.

LOL I'm a little "Slow". Sorry about that. Yes, just buy the Big Container if you are going to "double" the recipe.

I guess I didn't have enough Coffee before I read your post.:blush:

Kevinpa 03-30-2007 04:15 PM

Very nice recipe Tooter. I tweaked it a tad but just small ones....lol.

*4 half chicken breasts (pounded thin)
*8 thin cut sirloin tip steaks
*Ricotti Cheese (15 oz Container)
*1 egg
*2 cups of 6 cheese blend.
*1/3 cup of Parmensan grated cheese
*1 med. zucchini (shredded and squeezed dry)
*small pinch of Salt and pepper
*1 Jar of 4 cheese spaghetti sauce

I put the filling together subbing zucchini for parsley.
fried the steaks and breasts.
rolled filling up the steaks.
put the excess filling between 2 chicken breasts and covered with sauce.

Baked 40 minutes covered.

Yum Yum!! :up:

Steak Manicotti

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/csm19.jpg

Chicken Manicotti

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/csm20.jpg

Tooter 03-31-2007 07:47 AM

Your "Tweaks" look good, Kevin!:up:

Just wanted to add (for other ideas) I have used the "Chicken" Steak-ums to make a Burrito type filling.

I still used the ricotta, but added Shredded Cheddar Cheese to it, some Black Soy beans and some mexican spices. I then put it in the casserole dish and put a can of Green Chili Sauce (it's low in carbs) and baked it. Served it with Salsa and sour cream.

You can do that with the chicken Breasts too. BTW, did you see the Chicken Strombi Recipe I posted? It actually is my favorite!

I also live in PA. I'm in Central PA

momov2boys 03-31-2007 11:47 AM

Your recipe sounds great, Tooter!
Thanks for posting! :)

Kevinpa 03-31-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 8401721)
BTW, did you see the Chicken Strombi Recipe I posted? It actually is my favorite!

I also live in PA. I'm in Central PA

Yes I saw that but since I had extra filling I was looking for something quick to wrap it in. Unfortunately I was not able to pound the chicken breast flat enough to roll so I just put in the middle. My DD said "wow this tastes alot like chicken parmesan" and it did.

momov2boys 04-01-2007 03:36 PM

OMG!!!
 
We just had these for dinner and they are to die for!
SO YUMMY!!!

I used FF Ricotta and 1 C RF Mozzarella & 1/4 C parmesan.
It filled 10 steak-ums really full.

Next time I will either fill 16 steak-ums with the same amount of filling or 1/2 the filling recipe for 8 steaks.

Thanks again, so much, for this recipe.
It's a keeper! :)

Tooter 04-01-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momov2boys (Post 8407358)
We just had these for dinner and they are to die for!
SO YUMMY!!!

I used FF Ricotta and 1 C RF Mozzarella & 1/4 C parmesan.
It filled 10 steak-ums really full.

Next time I will either fill 16 steak-ums with the same amount of filling or 1/2 the filling recipe for 8 steaks.

Thanks again, so much, for this recipe.
It's a keeper! :)

I'm so glad you liked it.:D

nicole714 06-19-2007 09:53 AM

Tooter I finally made these and they were fantastic!! :up:
I LOVE steak-ums but unfortunately DH has tummy problems with them so I also tried a variation florentine recipe that turned out well too.

I went to the deli and got roasted turkey sliced thick
(thick enough to roll with and not fall apart)

and for the filling I used
1 container riccotta
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic pwdr
1 sm pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained well
1/4 c parmesan cheese

I rolled them and topped them with LC tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Baked at 350 until the cheese melted approx 30-40 min.

The turkey was delicious I may try them again with roast beef!

ska53 06-19-2007 10:09 AM

These sound heavenly, has anyone tried freezing them? Can you freeze ricotta without losing quality?

debkeversole 06-19-2007 11:40 AM

marking my spot going to store in the morning!

Tooter 06-19-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole714 (Post 8790755)
Tooter I finally made these and they were fantastic!! :up:
I LOVE steak-ums but unfortunately DH has tummy problems with them so I also tried a variation florentine recipe that turned out well too.

I went to the deli and got roasted turkey sliced thick
(thick enough to roll with and not fall apart)

and for the filling I used
1 container riccotta
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic pwdr
1 sm pkg frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained well
1/4 c parmesan cheese

I rolled them and topped them with LC tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Baked at 350 until the cheese melted approx 30-40 min.

The turkey was delicious I may try them again with roast beef!

Nicole, that's an awesome Idea and recipe!!:cool: See, we just had to think outside the box.:clap:

CarolynF 06-19-2007 02:30 PM

I picked up some Steak-Ums today..Forgot the ricotta, but will get that tomorrow for tomorrow night's dinner..:)

Hmmm..How about using Steak-Ums as lasagne noodles??? I often use deli chicken as lasagne noodles and you can't even tell..:)

ska53 06-19-2007 03:11 PM

Tooter, how many servings did you have? I would love this but couldn't have it often due to the nutritional count. I ran it serving four and got the following.

Per Serving based on 4 servings: 409 Calories; 27g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 897mg Sodium.

Per Serving based on 8 servings: 204 Calories; 13g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 448mg Sodium.

I could have one if I used self control and froze the rest!

Tooter 06-19-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ska53 (Post 8792422)
Tooter, how many servings did you have? I would love this but couldn't have it often due to the nutritional count. I ran it serving four and got the following.

Per Serving based on 4 servings: 409 Calories; 27g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 897mg Sodium.

Per Serving based on 8 servings: 204 Calories; 13g Fat (58.7% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 448mg Sodium.

I could have one if I used self control and froze the rest!

Gosh, the guys always had 2 of them and I always ate Just one and had a salad with it.

It fills you up pretty fast (that's why I only ate one), must be all the fat in it. YIKES! lol

CarolynF 06-21-2007 04:53 PM

We just finished dinner and made these wonderful manicottis..Fussy ds loved them..I gave him 2 with salad, I had 1 with salad..Dh was at a business meeting, so he missed out..These are going to be a "keeper" at my house, for sure.

The Mexican version sounds good, too..Thanks, Tooter..

dcarlee 06-21-2007 05:35 PM

I used to make these with deli turkey all the time. I had forgotten about them. I think I will try it next week.

Barbo 10-25-2008 12:56 PM

Steak Umms
 
Always wondered what could be done with these guys. We used
to do sandwiches. Anyone think of other uses for them?

This manicotti looks like a real winner. Thanks, I'm going to see where
I can purchase these steaks.

Thanks for the recipe. Such ingenious cooks we have here.

:up:

Tyl 10-25-2008 01:03 PM

what exactly is a steakum?

Tooter 10-25-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chantyl03 (Post 11040787)
what exactly is a steakum?

Minute steaks. Very, VERY, Thin steaks that fry up in a "minute".

Think of the type of meat on a "Cheese Steak" Hoagie.

Tyl 10-25-2008 01:16 PM

and where does one get these?

24Fan 10-25-2008 01:42 PM

Frozen section, where frozen burgers and stuff like that is :)

Tooter, I love anything with ricotta. this sounds yummy! and kevin's tweaks with chicken does too mmm.

Saving these recipes.

LindaSue 10-26-2008 10:12 AM

I've wanted to try making this for the longest time but, alas, the only kind I can get around here is Wal-Mart's Great Value brand and they come already cut into little strips. That's great for making Philly cheesesteak but not very useful for something like this. Nobody sells Steak-Umm brand around here anymore. I suppose that some kind of deli meat would serve the same purpose.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 PM.