Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   FLAX FLAX FLAX (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/483333-flax-flax-flax.html)

wannabehot 03-20-2007 07:32 AM

FLAX FLAX FLAX

please help me to start a thread with all of your wonderful flax recipies!! I just recently made bananna walnut muffins and OMG!!!!! so please post any flax recipe here! cookies,muffins (hoping for a blueberry one), pancakes, pizzas, breads, cereals anything! thanks!!!!

Dixie Barkley 03-20-2007 08:17 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a question about flax. Which does everyone prefer, the golden or the regular? Also, can they be used interchangeably in recipes? I have not yet tried the golden but my feeling is that it might make the finished product look a little more appetizing.

NotoSugar 03-20-2007 11:24 AM

I personally prefer the golden. It has less of a "grassy" taste.

Dixie Barkley 03-20-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoSugar (Post 8345081)

Can the golden be used in any and all flax recipes?

NotoSugar 03-20-2007 02:11 PM

I use golden flax in all recipes that call for flax. I don't care for the taste of the regular flax.

Jeska 03-20-2007 02:25 PM

I always use Golden Flax!

My favorite muffin recipe:
(I double this recipe and still make 12 large muffins with it)

3 eggs
1/4 cup vanilla davinci's
1/4 cup cooking oil plus 2 T.
2T. water
2T. Cinnamon (amount is correct)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup golden flaxmeal

Beat eggs and other wet ingredients well. Add dry, mix to combine. Let the batter sit for about 5 mins. Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins, bake @ 350- for 12ish minutes... I overbake mine slightly... they are almost crunch when they first come out but then soften up a little bit - I eat these over a course of like 4-5 days so I dont like them to turn to total mush.

I got this recipe from Macattaz (Lisa) :heart:

Tooter 03-20-2007 02:33 PM

FLAXSEED MUFFINS

6 Tablespoons melted butter
3 large eggs
1/4 Cup Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup sweetener, Splenda bulk
1 Tablespoon flavoring, maple
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
3/4 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Cup Flax Seed Meal
1/4 Cup almond flour OR soy flour, Bob's Red Mill
4 Ounces chopped walnuts -- optional

Preheat oven to 375F.

Beat first 3 ingredients together, then add Splenda, maple and vanilla. Mix the cinnamon and remaining ingredients and add to above.

Put into 12 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin, or panspray/oil, and bake for about 15-20 minutes. (mine were done in 15)

(Can double the recipe, and get about 18-20 good size muffins, filling the muffin cups about 3/4 full. Can fill the muffin tins to the top and get about 9 larger muffins. These are really good and have lots of fiber. About 4 carbs per muffin but over 3 carbs fiber. Black walnuts, if you can get them, list 4 grams carbs but 2 grams fiber for the 4 oz....
Other flavorings to try: instead of maple flavor - use banana or pineapple. Unsweetened coconut also tastes great.

These freeze well.

----------------------------------

Three min microwave bread

INGREDIENTS:
1/8 cup almond flour (almond meal)
1/8 cup Ground Flaxseed/Flax meal
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a "pinch" of bulk splenda
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg

I make this in a 2 cup plastic, square, Tubberware container. You can experiment and use different shaped ones.

METHOD:
Melt butter in plastic container. Beat in egg. add dry ingredients. Mix throughly with a fork. Cover cup with glad wrap, cut a small slit in wrap. Microwave on high for about 1 minute 30 secs. Microwaves may vary. Check on it. Do not over cook.

This is not like the flaxseed muffins, this is a "bread". You could use it as a sandwich or just to go with a meal. Not bad (my fav is the muffins) but this is WAY better then any mix recipe I have ever tried. The texture is like a fluffy bread. Sort of like a white fluffy bread with a corn meal taste to it, if that helps. I have made french toast out of this, Sandwiches, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches etc... ENJOY!

-----------------------
TOOTER'S CEREAL
Oatmeal/flaxseed/Pecan meal Creal

2 Tablespoons of Regular Oatmeal.
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed.
2 Tablespoons Pecan meal
Pat of butter
Sweetner to taste.

I put the 2 tablespoons of the oatmeal in a bowl and add an excess amount of water. I then put it in the microwave until it boils and bubbles up (between 1 1/2 and 2 minutes)

Take it out of the microwave, put the pat of butter on it, 2 tablespoons of flaxseed, 2 tablespoons of Pecan meal and sweetner. Stir it up and it's ready to eat.

Just the 2 tablespoons of the Oatmeal really flavors the cereal. The Flaxseed is very filling and the pecan meal just compliments all the other flavors. Way less carbs then eating an entire bowl of Oatmeal, you still get that Oatmeal flavor and all the Wonderful benefits of flax.

I did not give measurements for the water. Some people like there cereal Thick, while others like it thinner. This is something you must experiment with yourself.

My Family LOVES This.

Tweaker Geek 03-20-2007 03:18 PM

I always used the regular flax meal then I tried the golden and now use that almost exclusively!

Dixie - I have some regular I need to use up but once you try the golden I think you'll like it best.

kimberly1x 03-20-2007 03:25 PM

CAN FLAXMEAL BE USED TO REPLACE ALMOND FLOUR IN A POUND CAKE RECIPE OR ANY RECIPE THAT REQUIRES A NUT FLOUR?

Yummy's_Girl 03-20-2007 03:39 PM

Here are some I copied and pasted that I had put into an old thread awhile back.

The pancake one is the best pancakes recipe I have tried, low carb, and I've tried several! This is, by fa,r my favorote!

Flax Pancakes

2 eggs slightly beaten
1 scoop (1/4 cup) vanilla whey powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp SF DaVinci syrup (I use vanilla)
1/4 cup Flaxmeal
dash of lite salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix ingredients well. Fry in butter or oil.
Makes 4 pancakes, 5 net carbs per recipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some others: I havent tried them, yet. Maybe you can let us all know how they are if you try them. I don't recall the source for these.

Doreen's "Sourdough Rye" Rolls

Serving Size: 6

-= Ingredients =-

3 eggs + 1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 - 3 Tbsp water
4 tablespoons flaxmeal
3 tablespoons raw wheat bran
1 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 packet SugarTwin ; (or 2 tsp bulk Splenda)

-= Instructions =-

- preheat oven to 500
- separate eggs; sprinkle cream of tartar over whites, set aside.
- blend yolks with melted butter, vinegar and 2 Tbsp water, add flaxmeal, bran caraway seeds, onion powder, salt and sweetener. Batter may be stiff .. add up to an extra Tbsp water if it seems dry.
- using squeaky clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- fold yolk-flax mixture into whites, taking care not to overmix or break down the fluffy whites
- using a spatula or wooden spoon, make 6 high mounds on a Pam-sprayed baking sheet (I used a "muffin top" pan). Place in center of oven and immediately reduce heat to 300. Bake for 15 min.
- reduce heat to 250, bake an additional 15 min or till golden
- cool on rack, store in airtight container
- These flatten somewhat after cooling, but they can still be sliced in half without crumbling if you use a sharp knife.

Tomato, Onion and Garlic Flaxseed Crackers

-= Ingredients =-

2 cups ground flaxseed ; grind in blender
1 cup tomato powder
1/2 cup dried onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder

-= Instructions =-

Mix in a (rather large) bowl with a cup of whole flaxseed. Add
water and mix well, until it becomes the consistency of a thick cookie
dough. Cover and let rest in the frig overnight. Spread onto leather sheets. Spread out smoothly. At this point, the mix isvery stiff and not really sticky at all. Put in dryer (around 120-130) -takes 8-16 hrs to dry, depending on room conditions. Dry until crisp, then break into cracker size pieces.

You can do these in the oven with the door propped open, if you do not have a food dehydrator

This one came from these boards but like a goofball, I forgot to write down the name of the original poster. I hear these are very good

Cocoa Flax Cookies

Serving Size: 12

-= Ingredients =-

Cookie ; ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate or vanilla SF DaVinci
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon both baking powder and soda
3 heaping Tbsp baking cocoa
Frosting ; ingredients:
1/2 pkg cream cheese ; melted
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 packets or 1/3 C pourable Splenda

-= Instructions =-

Mix eggs, vanilla, DaVinci, and oil by hand. In a separate bowl, blend the flaxseed with the baking powder/soda. Combine dry ingredients with wet, mixing by hand. Fold in 2 heaping Tbsp cocoa to mixture and mix well. Once mixed, add the final heaping Tbsp cocoa to mixture, should be thick like cookie dough.

Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper). Place into preheated oven (350) and bake 9-12 minutes (mine were done after 9 minutes). (Makes 12 - 15 cookies)

When cooled, add frosting

Dixie Barkley 03-23-2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl (Post 8346625)
Here are some I copied and pasted that I had put into an old thread awhile back.

The pancake one is the best pancakes recipe I have tried, low carb, and I've tried several! This is, by fa,r my favorote!

Flax Pancakes

2 eggs slightly beaten
1 scoop (1/4 cup) vanilla whey powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp SF DaVinci syrup (I use vanilla)
1/4 cup Flaxmeal
dash of lite salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix ingredients well. Fry in butter or oil.
Makes 4 pancakes, 5 net carbs per recipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some others: I havent tried them, yet. Maybe you can let us all know how they are if you try them. I don't recall the source for these.

Doreen's "Sourdough Rye" Rolls

Serving Size: 6

-= Ingredients =-

3 eggs + 1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 - 3 Tbsp water
4 tablespoons flaxmeal
3 tablespoons raw wheat bran
1 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon granulated onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 packet SugarTwin ; (or 2 tsp bulk Splenda)

-= Instructions =-

- preheat oven to 500
- separate eggs; sprinkle cream of tartar over whites, set aside.
- blend yolks with melted butter, vinegar and 2 Tbsp water, add flaxmeal, bran caraway seeds, onion powder, salt and sweetener. Batter may be stiff .. add up to an extra Tbsp water if it seems dry.
- using squeaky clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- fold yolk-flax mixture into whites, taking care not to overmix or break down the fluffy whites
- using a spatula or wooden spoon, make 6 high mounds on a Pam-sprayed baking sheet (I used a "muffin top" pan). Place in center of oven and immediately reduce heat to 300. Bake for 15 min.
- reduce heat to 250, bake an additional 15 min or till golden
- cool on rack, store in airtight container
- These flatten somewhat after cooling, but they can still be sliced in half without crumbling if you use a sharp knife.

Tomato, Onion and Garlic Flaxseed Crackers

-= Ingredients =-

2 cups ground flaxseed ; grind in blender
1 cup tomato powder
1/2 cup dried onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder

-= Instructions =-

Mix in a (rather large) bowl with a cup of whole flaxseed. Add
water and mix well, until it becomes the consistency of a thick cookie
dough. Cover and let rest in the frig overnight. Spread onto leather sheets. Spread out smoothly. At this point, the mix isvery stiff and not really sticky at all. Put in dryer (around 120-130) -takes 8-16 hrs to dry, depending on room conditions. Dry until crisp, then break into cracker size pieces.

You can do these in the oven with the door propped open, if you do not have a food dehydrator

This one came from these boards but like a goofball, I forgot to write down the name of the original poster. I hear these are very good

Cocoa Flax Cookies

Serving Size: 12

-= Ingredients =-

Cookie ; ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate or vanilla SF DaVinci
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon both baking powder and soda
3 heaping Tbsp baking cocoa
Frosting ; ingredients:
1/2 pkg cream cheese ; melted
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 packets or 1/3 C pourable Splenda

-= Instructions =-

Mix eggs, vanilla, DaVinci, and oil by hand. In a separate bowl, blend the flaxseed with the baking powder/soda. Combine dry ingredients with wet, mixing by hand. Fold in 2 heaping Tbsp cocoa to mixture and mix well. Once mixed, add the final heaping Tbsp cocoa to mixture, should be thick like cookie dough.

Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper). Place into preheated oven (350) and bake 9-12 minutes (mine were done after 9 minutes). (Makes 12 - 15 cookies)

When cooled, add frosting

Where do you purchase tomato powder?

Yummy's_Girl 03-23-2007 03:39 PM

I make my own by drying tomatoes, tomato paste or tomato puree in my oven or dehydrator and then pulsing it into powder in a food processor or blender, then store in spice jars.

I've never seen it for sale in a store. I'm not sure if it can be ordered online I never did think to google it to check

seriouschick 03-23-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoSugar (Post 8345081)

I totally agree. I wasn't a flaxmeal fan, until I found Golden Flaxmeal. :up:

Pompom2 03-24-2007 06:12 AM

I made a version of the flax muffins using Gingerbread Davinci's and they were wonderful. I had 2 for breakfast every morning last week.

I went to our local Amish general store and they have bulk packages for the golden flax seeds for .79 a lb. Great price and I picked up 2 bags. I am going to make the coconut muffins this weekend. I cant wait to try the golden flax.

Thanx everyone for the recipes.

milotsf 03-24-2007 06:16 PM

I just bought my first bag of Flax meal today. I found and made this recipe tonight, and I am in love! :heart: I was a little worried as I have never had anything made primarliy with Flax meal, therefore I didn't have any idea what it tasted like. I have seen many recipes on this site and others for low carb eating, and thought I should give it a try. I can easily see this as a good sandwhich "bread" or hamburger "bun".

Focaccia -Style Flax Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flax seed meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt ( I only used 1/2 tsp of salt)
1-2 T sweetening power from artificial sweetener ( I only used about 3/4 of a TBS as I don't like sweet breads.)
5 beaten eggs
1/2 C water
1/3 C oil
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper or a silicon mat. ( I used a cake pan lined and rounded up all edges with parchment paper, only spraying the pan to keep the paper in place.)

1. Mix dry ingredients well - a whisk works well.

2. Add wet to dry, and combine well.
Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3. Let batter set for 2-3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4. Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6. Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife.

At 12 servings, each piece of bread has less than one gram of carbohydrate-.8 to be exact - plus 5 grams of fiber.

mermaid 03-25-2007 05:09 PM

Tomato powder can be ordered through Azure Standard in Dufur Oregon.

Thanks for the great recipes. When I get my muffin top pans I will be making these flax sandwich buns:
1/2 cup plus 1 T flax meal
1/4 C grated parmesan
2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar equivalent
3 eggs
1 T water
2T oil
bake 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes in muffin top pans.

I just made some savory flax bread today that was pretty good. I took some of it and added celery, onion, sage, and water to make a stuffing to go with my baked turkey.

To make the savory bread I just added a handful of cheddar cheese, various herbs, garlic, and dried onion to the above bun recipe, but baked it in a loaf pan.

SkeeterN 03-26-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 8346301)

Three min microwave bread

INGREDIENTS:
1/8 cup almond flour (almond meal)
1/8 cup Ground Flaxseed/Flax meal
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
a "pinch" of bulk splenda
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 egg

I make this in a 2 cup plastic, square, Tubberware container. You can experiment and use different shaped ones.

METHOD:
Melt butter in plastic container. Beat in egg. add dry ingredients. Mix throughly with a fork. Cover cup with glad wrap, cut a small slit in wrap. Microwave on high for about 1 minute 30 secs. Microwaves may vary. Check on it. Do not over cook.

This is not like the flaxseed muffins, this is a "bread". You could use it as a sandwich or just to go with a meal. Not bad (my fav is the muffins) but this is WAY better then any mix recipe I have ever tried. The texture is like a fluffy bread. Sort of like a white fluffy bread with a corn meal taste to it, if that helps. I have made french toast out of this, Sandwiches, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches etc... ENJOY!

This is amazing! I love this. I was wondering if one could possibly put a bit of sugar free syrup in these and make like a mock McGriddle? Looks the same. I made one today and sliced it and put an egg in the middle and thought wonder how this would taste with sausage, egg, cheese? Thank you so much. Have you ever made this with any spices to savory it up? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lori92325 03-26-2007 08:27 PM

So far my favorite thing to do is make Timothy's banana nut flax muffins they are so good. The recipe has been posted quite a few times so you can probably do a search for it.

Lori92325 03-26-2007 09:20 PM

Does anyone know how to make a quick bowl of hot flax cereal? I have flax heavy cream, and Da vinci syrups. Can I make some with these ingredients?

Tooter 03-27-2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 8372809)
This is amazing! I love this. I was wondering if one could possibly put a bit of sugar free syrup in these and make like a mock McGriddle? Looks the same. I made one today and sliced it and put an egg in the middle and thought wonder how this would taste with sausage, egg, cheese? Thank you so much. Have you ever made this with any spices to savory it up? Any ideas?

Thanks.

I haven't done it with the sugar free syrup, the added liquid might change the texture. Experiment with it and see. I do make Egg McMuffins out of these all the time and this is also AWESOME to use as toast and dip in your egg yokes! Just make the bread, let it cool, put it in the toaster and you have toast!

Also, I have made Stuffing (or I guess you would call it "Dressing") out of this.
Cubed the bread up, added onions and celery (slightly cooked in butter) Added some seasonings and bake it in a casserole dish. Just don't put it in a Turkey or chicken or stuff it in anything. You want this to dry out and kinda crips up a little. If you "Stuff" it, it will turn to Mush inside the meat, but it is Awesome cooked on the side.

This bread is my Favorite. So easy.

Oh, I also use this to make hamburger buns (remember I said experiment with different shaped containers?) It makes a perfect bun that has a great texture.

Tooter 03-27-2007 07:23 AM

I made myself hungry posting in this thread! LOL I had to make myself a breakfast of 2 eggs Sunny Side up, Toast and sugar free Jam!!

GAWD, it's so nice to actually have something to dip into eggs. Oh, and the Jam on the toast is awesome too.

SkeeterN 03-27-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooter (Post 8378789)
I haven't done it with the sugar free syrup, the added liquid might change the texture. Experiment with it and see. I do make Egg McMuffins out of these all the time and this is also AWESOME to use as toast and dip in your egg yokes! Just make the bread, let it cool, put it in the toaster and you have toast!

Also, I have made Stuffing (or I guess you would call it "Dressing") out of this.
Cubed the bread up, added onions and celery (slightly cooked in butter) Added some seasonings and bake it in a casserole dish. Just don't put it in a Turkey or chicken or stuff it in anything. You want this to dry out and kinda crips up a little. If you "Stuff" it, it will turn to Mush inside the meat, but it is Awesome cooked on the side.

This bread is my Favorite. So easy.

Oh, I also use this to make hamburger buns (remember I said experiment with different shaped containers?) It makes a perfect bun that has a great texture.

Have you ever baked this in the oven? Does it have a different texture?

Tooter 03-27-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 8379316)
Have you ever baked this in the oven? Does it have a different texture?

I haven't....I would "think" the texture could change. It would dry out more? Like a corn bread, is what I would think would happen. If you would want to try it, double or triple the recipe and then bake in a smaller pan.

whitelighter1968 03-27-2007 09:10 AM

I Love flax.. prefer the golden....

wannabehot 03-27-2007 10:58 AM

i want to try golden flax but its $3 more per bag then the regular flax. I am lc on a budget!

decodiana 03-27-2007 02:55 PM

I had this on another thread, but wanted to include it here...

I love these! I used a version of LindaSue's wonderful flax muffin batter, layered it with a delicious cinnamon streussal mixture and came up with these fantastic little gems!

Hope you like them as much as I do. Makes 12 muffins.

Muffin Batter
2 cups almond flour
1 cup golden flax meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 each Splenda quick pack
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 each eggs

Streussal
1 cup almond flour
8 each Splenda packet
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled, cut into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease silicon muffin pan with butter.

2. For streussal, combine almonds, Splenda, cinnamon & salt in food processor. Pulse until mixed well. Add small pieces of butter and process until it resembles a coarse meal. Set aside.

3. For muffin batter, in medium bowl stir together almond flour, flax, baking powder, salt, Splenda and cinnamon and whisk to blend. Add liquids, melted butter and eggs.

4. Put about 1 tbsp batter into each muffin cup. Flatten slightly with finger tips, as batter is thick. Place about a scant tablespoon of the streussal mix into each muffin cup, then top with the remaining batter, and finally the remaining streussal. Press the tops gently to adhere the streussal to the thick batter.

5. Bake about 20 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan for about 10-12 minutes, then gently remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.

BB in MN 03-28-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decodiana (Post 8382151)
I had this on another thread, but wanted to include it here...

I love these! I used a version of LindaSue's wonderful flax muffin batter, layered it with a delicious cinnamon streussal mixture and came up with these fantastic little gems!

Hope you like them as much as I do. Makes 12 muffins.

Muffin Batter
2 cups almond flour
1 cup golden flax meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 each Splenda quick pack
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 each eggs

Streussal
1 cup almond flour
8 each Splenda packet
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled, cut into small pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease silicon muffin pan with butter.

2. For streussal, combine almonds, Splenda, cinnamon & salt in food processor. Pulse until mixed well. Add small pieces of butter and process until it resembles a coarse meal. Set aside.

3. For muffin batter, in medium bowl stir together almond flour, flax, baking powder, salt, Splenda and cinnamon and whisk to blend. Add liquids, melted butter and eggs.

4. Put about 1 tbsp batter into each muffin cup. Flatten slightly with finger tips, as batter is thick. Place about a scant tablespoon of the streussal mix into each muffin cup, then top with the remaining batter, and finally the remaining streussal. Press the tops gently to adhere the streussal to the thick batter.

5. Bake about 20 minutes. Cool muffins in the pan for about 10-12 minutes, then gently remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.

Sounds awesome! Are you using reg muffin pan or mini?

Do you have any counts for carbs, calories etc?

Thanks for sharing, Beth

decodiana 03-28-2007 04:33 PM

Regular muffin pan....sorry I don't have the carb counts as I just use low-carb ingredients and don't worry so much about the exact carb count. Maybe someone with the appropriate software can help out here.

decodiana 03-28-2007 04:39 PM

I based the muffin batter on LindaSue's lemon poppy seed muffins, and she gets 2.5 net grams when using liquid splenda. I doubled her recipe, so I yield 12 muffins and added one tsp cinnamon. Then you'd have to figure what the streussal topping would be and add it to the 2.5 net carbs.

Here's LindaSue's lemon poppy seed recipe, which is mighty good also. I usually add lemon zest 'cause I love lemon!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/lemon_p...d_muffins.html

Itsanewme 03-29-2007 05:58 AM

I recently found this recipe at about.com and I can't get enough of these! The garlic powder gives them a nice flavor and they are great with a slice of cheese. Very simple to mix. I rolled the dough between parchment paper and scored them to make it easier to break apart. These are better them most of the low carb crackers I've bought. Each cracker is about 0.2 gms of carbs. In my oven it took about 20 minutes for them to get crisp.

Garlic Parmesan Flax Seed Crackers

Recipe By : about.com
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers/ Snacks/ Beverages

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup flaxseed meal
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Heat oven to 400 F.

1. Mix all ingredients together.

2. Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicon mat or greased parchment paper.

3. Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper.

Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4. Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5. Break into pieces.

The whole recipe is 6 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 35 grams of fiber.

Updated: September 18, 2006

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I rolled these out with a rolling [in between 2 sheets of parchment paper. I then scored the crackers using a pizza wheel so they would break apart easily. I had to bake these for about 20 minutes to get them uniformly crisp.