Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smilingirisheyes
WOE: Plant Strong
Start Date: Autumn 2009
1972 Atkins version...

Does anyone here follow the '72 version (original) of Atkins? If so, how did you incorporate your coconut oil? Thanks for the info!!
smilingirisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2BabesMama
WOE: Back to LC 12/30/11
Start Date: LCing 6/1/03
SHinOK: so you used 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil in place of the stick of butter? (trying to remember how much a stick of butter is).

Thanks for this version! I don't keep a lot of "special" stuff around either, but I do have all these ingredients.
2BabesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
2Babes,

I actually doubled the recipe--used one cup of CO (measured solid like Crisco) and melted with the chocolate in the microwave. One stick of butter = 1/2 cup, so I figure that goes for CO, too. I divided the doubled recipe into 12 muffin cups, so that gave me 4 T CO per day for four days if I eat three a day.

Does that make sense?
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I ran with this idea and this was the results:

1/2 cup coconut oil
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup granular erythritol (ground into powder for a volume of almost 1/2 cup)
1 splenda quick pack
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon orange cream flavor oil

Put the coconut oil and cream cheese in a glass mixing bowl and microwave the two until the coconut oil is almost completely melted. (approx 30 to 40 sec.on high)
Removed the bowl and wisk the two together for about 1 min....noting that the oil and cream cheese are separated.
Return the bowl to the microwave and nuke for an additional 30 to 40 sec on high then remove it and wisk in the powdered erythritol until the mixture is smooth and creamy with no separation.
Then wisk in the splenda quick pack, vanilla, and flavor oil until well combined.

Spoon into mini muffin(tart) pan and put in freezer to set.

These are excellent!!

Kevin these are awesome! I made them as is but I also made another batch with added unsweetened cocoa powder (2 tbsp) & splash of DaVinci Kaluha sugar free syrup...The creamiest candy I have ever tasted! It is hard to only eat one! Thanks so much for the recipe!
Marla
babydollsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #185
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
bumping for Kimcox
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WildflowerMama
Stats: 185.5/143.2/revised to 140
Start Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmiller461 View Post
Okay, I have made this stuff so much that I've run out of erythritol.
Is there anything I can use to sub until my next order gets in?
I'm curious about this as well. Can splenda be substituted?
WildflowerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #187
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildflowerMama View Post
I'm curious about this as well. Can splenda be substituted?
Bottom line is you can use whatever sweetener you like for this because it is getting its basic texture from the coconut oil and not the sweetener. I personally find as a rule of thumb that chocolate mixed with splenda by itself whether it is liquid or granular has an atificial taste and needs at least the inclusion of a second sweetener to taste right.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
I made the original bark recipe, but used 1 T SF davinci's caramel sauce(not the syrup)
Very good!
I have the Davinci's White chocolate sauce too, wonder how that would work?
Yvonne
vonnygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WHITEHOT
Stats: 285.5/275/170--I'm 5'9"
Start Date: June 9, 2007
Ok, I accidentally found this today after accidentally finding nutiva coconut oil at my local grocery store (cheaper than it is on their web site --and they are sold out on their site) last night. I'm going to assume this was meant for me to try

I haven't ever used any of the other sweeteners besides Splenda so wish me luck! I do purchase Torani SF syrups to make Italian soda for my kids (no reason to purchase them at the little drive up coffee place now) perhaps I'll try one of those to change the flavor if I decide I need to experiment.
WHITEHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #190
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
I just tried it with powdered splenda. A tad BITTER! So if you are using powdered splenda...double the amount.
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #191
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifezilla View Post
I just tried it with powdered splenda. A tad BITTER! So if you are using powdered splenda...double the amount.

If you are using cocoa powder you need to add 1 tsp of vanilla extract to cut the bitterness just like in regular recipes you bake with this.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WHITEHOT
Stats: 285.5/275/170--I'm 5'9"
Start Date: June 9, 2007
I actually used splenda packets (not the granular bagged stuff) and put in almond flavoring (instead of vanilla). It was great in places and not so great in other places. I made the mistake of putting the sweetener into the oil then adding podwered cocoa. The cocoa was fine but the sweetener didn't want to dissolve so it didn't get evenly distributed. I knew before the cocoa was in the sweetener was all in one area but hoped it had mixed up...it didn't. The portion with sweetener didn't want to set up either so if it is frozen it is okay, when it starts melting it has a really sweet liquidy stuff on the bottom.

Really, in the areas the sweetener mixed in it was wonderful so I am going to have to try this again without making the same mistakes!

I have been losing 1.5 daily, yesterday I used coconut oil for the first time and I lost 4.5 instead and had absolutely NO appetite. Not sure that this had anything to do with it but I'm okay with that!
WHITEHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skerri
Start Date: January 8, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
New Batch!!

Coconut Oil Crunch

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup extra dark Hershey's cocoa powder (4 carbs)
1/4 cup granular erythritol (ground into powder for a volume of almost 1/2 cup)
18 drops sweetzfree (3/4 cup equivilent)
1/2 cup Dixie Diner Smaps cereal (2 carb)
1/4 t. peanut butter loranns flavor oil

Yummo!!

looks great! the pic makes me think eatmore bar
skerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
Maybe this is another one of my "dumb" questions - but is there any other way I can make this bark without coconut oil? I truly do NOT like the taste - it tastes like soap to me. I've tried several of the combinations with different flavorings and nothing hides that taste.

Thanks!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
What oil are you using? I use the brand from Walmart--probably not the most healthy but the easiest to get, and I don't taste it at all.

I don't think you could make this with butter. The coconut oil gets firmer than anything else I've ever used. Maybe someone else has an idea.
lcmiller461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Cocoa butter might work.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmiller461 View Post
What oil are you using? I use the brand from Walmart--probably not the most healthy but the easiest to get, and I don't taste it at all.

I don't think you could make this with butter. The coconut oil gets firmer than anything else I've ever used. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Hi - thanks for the input - I got the coconut oil from Netrition it's the NOW brand - it's organic virgin coconut oil - and from what I recall it wasn't "cheap". I don't get to Walmart too often as it's a "trip" - but I will be in that area tomorrow evening - can you tell me what the name is of the one you bought and where it would be? As I said I don't go there too often and am not familiar with the layout of the store or where they put certain foods - you know it is with the organic stuff, the "healthy" stuff - or with the rest of the shortenings.

I bought my oil some time ago - maybe it's bad - although I did check the expiration date and it was still "good" - who knows. Or I may just simply be one of those people who pick up on a taste that most don't - you know how a lot of people don't care for Carbalose or Carbquick because of the "taste" they detect?

I'm going to see if I can pick up some from Walmart and give it another try - if I still get that "soapy" taste I'm just going to give up.

Again - thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray View Post
.........I don't get to Walmart too often as it's a "trip" - but I will be in that area tomorrow evening - can you tell me what the name is of the one you bought and where it would be? As I said I don't go there too often and am not familiar with the layout of the store or where they put certain foods - you know it is with the organic stuff, the "healthy" stuff - or with the rest of the shortenings.
Again - thanks!
[COLOR=red]It is LouAnna brand. It is with the other shortenings. Seems to usually be on an upper shelf, but it varies of course. It is in a white plastic jar with a green lid.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
[COLOR=red]It is LouAnna brand. It is with the other shortenings. Seems to usually be on an upper shelf, but it varies of course. It is in a white plastic jar with a green lid.[/COLOR]
Thanks!! I love that quote about the mind wandering - that's generally the state I'm in!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #200
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Barabara Ray - the NOW coconut oil is the absolute worst tasting stuff in the world......... any of the other brands I have tried have been great - but NOW - most people I know can't stand it.... try the back with another brand
Terilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post
Barabara Ray - the NOW coconut oil is the absolute worst tasting stuff in the world......... any of the other brands I have tried have been great - but NOW - most people I know can't stand it.... try the back with another brand
I forgot until I received my order today that I did order some from Netrition and was afraid I may have ordered the NOW after I read your post - I quickly went to check the package and what I got was Nutiva - it was $12.00 - I sure hope IT tastes better than the NOW! Have you tried Nutiva??

Thanks for your comments
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
If you like the taste of coconut (which I do), then you will love the Nutiva coconut oil!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lynda99
Nutiva. And Designer Protein powder in the bark. With the DP you can make it very lightest chocolate or just add some vanilla. I use Sweetzfree in mine.
Lynda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
I am a big fan of the Artisana Coconut Butter.
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
triglycerides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy's_Girl View Post
I thought I read somewhere that coconut oil shouldn't be used with people who have high triglycerides. I cant find where I read it at, now, though. Anyone know if this is true?
The only study I could find that used virgin coconut oil (instead of hydrogenated coconut oil) found that (in rats, anyway), coconut oil LOWERED triglycerides and increased HDL. Here's the abstract:

English Title: Beneficial effects of virgin coconut oil on lipid parameters and in vitro LDL oxidation.
Personal Authors: Nevin, K. G., Rajamohan, T.
Author Affiliation: Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram 695 581, India.
Document Title: Clinical Biochemistry, 2004 (Vol. 37) (No. 9) 830-835

Abstract:

Objectives: The present study was conducted to investigate the effect of consumption of virgin coconut oil (VCO) on various lipid parameters in comparison with copra oil (CO). In addition, the preventive effect of polyphenol fraction (PF) from test oils on copper induced oxidation of LDL and carbonyl formation was also studied. Design and methods: After 45 days of oil feeding to Sprague-Dawley rats, several lipid parameters and lipoprotein levels were determined. PF was isolated from the oils and its effect on in vitro LDL oxidation was assessed. Results: VCO obtained by wet process has a beneficial effect in lowering lipid components compared to CO. It reduced total cholesterol, triglycerides, phospholipids, LDL, and VLDL cholesterol levels and increased HDL cholesterol in serum and tissues. The PF of virgin coconut oil was also found to be capable of preventing in vitro LDL oxidation with reduced carbonyl formation. Conclusion: The results demonstrated the potential beneficiary effect of virgin coconut oil in lowering lipid levels in serum and tissues and LDL oxidation by physiological oxidants. This property of VCO may be attributed to the biologically active polyphenol components present in the oil.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Conevery
Stats: 258/186/135
WOE: VSG/LC
Start Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
Chocolate Bark

4 T. (1/4 cup) Virgin Coconut Oil
1-1.5 T. Cocoa Powder
1/4 t. lowcarb sweetner, such as stevia or xylitol
2 oz nuts (optional)

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid, add in cocoa powder and sweetener. Stir to combine and blend well.

Blend nuts into chocolate mixture (Optional)

Have chlled a metal bakeware lasagna or cake pan or pans in freezer for 10 minutes or so. Remove from freezer and line with waxed paper. Then pour mixture into chilled pan and spread to desired thickness.

Pop in refrigerator or freezer on level shelf and let sit 10 minutes or so. It will harden quickly and breaks with a snap.
Made this recipe, today, and was completely stunned ... IT'S EXCELLENT. I am so accustomed to trying LC stuff that just doesn't "cut the mustard" but not this one. This one's a keeper. Little messy on the hands but well worth the trouble.

Conevery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #207
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
[B]White Chocolate "Pecan Praline" Coconut Bark[B]

I have been making the most delicious version using sugar free white chocolate for a change of pace. I like this version even better than the standard.

(4 servings)

6-oz bar of Dr.s (or any other brand) sugar free white chocolate, melted in microwave
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon Not Sugar (you can use your sweetner of choice, but this one contributes to that "praline-ey flavor)
1 small cap vanilla xtract
1 small cap maple xtract (optional, but really good)

Mix it all xcept the pecans, then I put it back in the micro. for 30-60 sec.s for better integration. Stir well, add in pecans.

I let it get to room temperature, with occasional stirrings, then divide into 4 ramicans, cups, bowls, whatever you like, then harden in freezer. After they're hard, I put them in zippy bags in the fridge, cuz I like the texture best cold and firm, but not frozen.

Hot Chile Chocolate coconut oil

Use your standard choc. recipe, but add a little cayenne. That little extra heat pumps up the chocolate flavor amazingly well-it's chocolate intensified!

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Oops, sorry, that was a 3 oz bar of white chocolate, not a 6 oz.
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smilingirisheyes
WOE: Plant Strong
Start Date: Autumn 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
I dont think the coconut oil thing is working for me. I gained a pound
I hear ya! Especially making the yummy bark with things like almonds, peppermint extract, coconut flakes.....oh yummy!
smilingirisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scb1988
Stats: 298/260/142
WOE: lo carbs/Atkins
Start Date: 12/31/06 restart 4/11/08
ooohhh oooohhhh oooohhhh I have peppermint extract Can't wait to try this! I used penzey's cocoa....I'm in heaven!!!!!!!!!
scb1988 is offline   Reply With Quote