Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Well, I dunno about the oil being "hot". My oil is liquid now too, the only time I heat is is in the winter. But I've heard of cocoa being more pronounced flavor with hot water, but I don't know if the chemistry is the same for coconut oil.

Another think I discovered, as far a sweeteners go, is that most are not oil soluble, so if it is a crystal going in, it will stay crystallized, so powdering your sweetener would get a better taste and less grittiness.

Since the liquid sweeters are water based using too much will cause it to separate, but I have been experimenting with putting them over heat (power and liquid) and melting it and driving some water off, I haven't tried using heated syrup for cocoa bark yet, but it makes for great brittle type sugar end product. I don't know how I'd incorporate it.

maybe stir the oil and cocoa together first, then heat the sugar in a pan till it's syrupy, then add the cocoa oil to the sugar syrup in the pan,and let cool. Ah Man, now I gotta go try this to see if it works or comes out garbage.
Would you let us know how all this turns out please? I am going to attempt it once again this evening.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #452
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karma4u
Stats: 155.0/144.5/126.0
WOE: Dr. Berenstein
Start Date: January 2012
Different recipe

My recipe adds Splenda Flavors for coffee
French Vanilla
I sprinkled cayenne pepper on the lid
before I added chocolate
gives it a KICK!
Karma4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 14, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma4u View Post
My recipe adds Splenda Flavors for coffee
French Vanilla
I sprinkled cayenne pepper on the lid
before I added chocolate
gives it a KICK!
oOOh I'm gonna have to try that one.
This coconut bark is saving me. Any time I have a little sugar craving I have a piece. I'm going through a 6 T recipe a week, just here and there. I've lost 21 inches all around, with almost eight now from my waist alone!

Today I used macadamia nuts and the simple 1 T cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla and EZ-Sweetz to taste. Next time though I want to try that vanilla cayenne spice! I wonder how a little cinnamon would go over, maybe a mexican chocolate flavor!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #454
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ShesSuperCool
Stats: My goal was to start taking care of myself.
Start Date: April 14, 2011
Oh forgot I use a tsp of erythritol too. I haven't had any crystallizing problems but I do heat it up in the oil before I add anything else.
ShesSuperCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #455
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Well, that was weird.

I tried to make a "syrup" for the bark , and had three different results. I just added a wee bit of water and a splash of vanilla, and let it heat till it bubbled and reduced.
With powder splenda, it kept reducing so I added the cocoa+oil to the syrup , stirred it and chilled it. It came out smooth but then thats to be expected.

The Erythritol on the other had, it seemed smooth at first but as it chilled with the cooler oil, the sugars bubbled up and started crystalizing in the oil, so some spots are super sweet and others are bland.

The Xylitol, started to do the same and the E , but I poured it back into the cup from the pan and whipped it with a fork before chilling it on the pan but,...instead of becoming crystal, it has pooled in areas beneath the oil and is sludged up and keeping it from becoming snap hard.

weird. Nothing to see hear folks, Just move along. Just keep doing what you've been doing. this was a weird experiment. Maybe I'll melt all three down into one super batch and refreeze it, to salvage it.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MemoryKeeper
Stats: 233.5/153.5/133
WOE: Currently: JUDDDkins
Start Date: 10/18/2011
Subscribing....
MemoryKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jandjsmom
Stats: 155/128.2/127 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb/ IF
Start Date: June 2011
Tried my first attempt last night, didn't work out so well! Guess I will read through this thread and see what I did wrong!
jandjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, that was weird.

I tried to make a "syrup" for the bark , and had three different results. I just added a wee bit of water and a splash of vanilla, and let it heat till it bubbled and reduced.
With powder splenda, it kept reducing so I added the cocoa+oil to the syrup , stirred it and chilled it. It came out smooth but then thats to be expected.

The Erythritol on the other had, it seemed smooth at first but as it chilled with the cooler oil, the sugars bubbled up and started crystalizing in the oil, so some spots are super sweet and others are bland.

The Xylitol, started to do the same and the E , but I poured it back into the cup from the pan and whipped it with a fork before chilling it on the pan but,...instead of becoming crystal, it has pooled in areas beneath the oil and is sludged up and keeping it from becoming snap hard.

weird. Nothing to see hear folks, Just move along. Just keep doing what you've been doing. this was a weird experiment. Maybe I'll melt all three down into one super batch and refreeze it, to salvage it.
Oh you can throw it my way, like a dog, I will lap it up, None of mine have turned out very well or at least what I am expecting them to taste like. Forever marching onward to that perfect chocolate LC experience!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #459

I've been "experimenting" with unsweetened cocoa squares for a more real chocolate type thing, but I'm not ready to share my failures online!

I don't think of the bark as chocolate, so much as a chocolate type coating for stuff, or as a coconut oil supplement. So I've tried combining cocoa bark with unsweetened cocoa squares and it comes out more like chocolate. Sweetening in a smooth manner ( non crystalized) is the hardest part.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rice paddie
Stats: 259/200/155
WOE: a little of this plan, a little of that plan...
Start Date: 6/4/11
these recipe ideas are awesome!
rice paddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #461
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elainesmith
WOE: low carb
Start Date: July 2010
does anyone know if you can add parrafin wax to these to make them harden at room temp? If so how much would you add?
elainesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #462

Bah! I was gonna try that some time ago and forgot to try it! I have tried mixing it half and half with bakers chocolate and it it "harder" but still melts easily.

I'm not gonna be experimenting for a while so if you try the paraffin then let us know.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #463
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
just curious what kind of container do you pour your stuff into??
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I use silicone mini muffin pans, freeze, and pop them out into a ziplock bag.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Elainesmith, Kevinpa used parafin in this choclate recipe.
Simple LC Chocolate Candy
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #466

I've used the bottom of my bento, candy molds, silicone mini muffin shapes, baking pans. Whatever is within reach when I get the mood! Thanks for the candy link, I forgot Kevin did things other than awesome breads.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #467

Want a buttery cocoa bark?

Add a wee bit of ghee to the oil when making the cocoa bark syrup.

It makes the bark taste buttery and caramel flavored.

Make your own ghee:
Put a pound of butter in a thick bottom pot ( doesn't matter if salted or unsalted, but you won't be able to eat the carmalized solids if you use salted)

heat on medium low till it's all melted.

let it heat until the solids start to form and the foam starts to float.

either a) scoop off the foam as it forms
or b) let it all fizz, sizzle, pop and evaporate away till it fries and sinks and stops sizzling

when the clear liquid turns from bright yellow to slightly golden orange remove from heat,

either a) carefully pour off the clear liquid, stopping before the solids on the bottom flow out.
b) pour the hot liquid through a slightly damp tightly woven cloth or coffee filter and let the liquid drip through
c) let oil chill then scrape off any floating solid bits, and scoop out the clean oil and put into a separate clean and dry container.

The solid bits can be sweetened and eaten like delicious (oily) caramel candy ( ONLY IF YOU USE UNSALTED BUTTER. if you used salted it's tastes terrible throw it away).
Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Want a buttery cocoa bark?

Add a wee bit of ghee to the oil when making the cocoa bark syrup.

It makes the bark taste buttery and caramel flavored.

Make your own ghee:
Put a pound of butter in a thick bottom pot ( doesn't matter if salted or unsalted, but you won't be able to eat the carmalized solids if you use salted)

heat on medium low till it's all melted.

let it heat until the solids start to form and the foam starts to float.

either a) scoop off the foam as it forms
or b) let it all fizz, sizzle, pop and evaporate away till it fries and sinks and stops sizzling

when the clear liquid turns from bright yellow to slightly golden orange remove from heat,

either a) carefully pour off the clear liquid, stopping before the solids on the bottom flow out.
b) pour the hot liquid through a slightly damp tightly woven cloth or coffee filter and let the liquid drip through
c) let oil chill then scrape off any floating solid bits, and scoop out the clean oil and put into a separate clean and dry container.

The solid bits can be sweetened and eaten like delicious (oily) caramel candy ( ONLY IF YOU USE UNSALTED BUTTER. if you used salted it's tastes terrible throw it away).
Since there are 15 or 16 pages of this recipe, what version are you using? I would love to make the ghee and use it in your version of the bark. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #469

1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa powder
Few drops of vanillin
2 tiny scoops of stevia ]
2 drops Ez-SweetZ ] Equivalent to about 8 teaspoons of sugar

I replaced about half an ounce of the oil with the ghee. It make a huge flavor difference. it smelled and tasted like chocolate butter caramel sauce. You could use more ghee. It gets solid too, but I don't know if it gets as solid as coconut oil. When I use it as magic shell it gets really hard still.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa powder
Few drops of vanillin
2 tiny scoops of stevia ]
2 drops Ez-SweetZ ] Equivalent to about 8 teaspoons of sugar

I replaced about half an ounce of the oil with the ghee. It make a huge flavor difference. it smelled and tasted like chocolate butter caramel sauce. You could use more ghee. It gets solid too, but I don't know if it gets as solid as coconut oil. When I use it as magic shell it gets really hard still.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffles
Stats: 112.2/106.7/65kg
WOE: leptin reset , OA
Start Date: 11/11/13
Subscribing.
muffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #472
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: bonehenge
Stats: 245/145/130?
WOE: LFL-WW
Start Date: July 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
just curious what kind of container do you pour your stuff into??
I found the small silicone ice cube holders or candy molds work wonderful. they pop right out,.
bonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #473
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I haven't read this in a long time. Try using cocoa butter with the coconut oil to give you a snap like hersheys.

I love the silicone ice cube holders and i have candy molds.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #474

Rosethorns, where do you get your cocoa butter? None of the stores know what I'm talking about and try to give me lotion!

ETA: Oh, Nevermind! once I posted I saw that Netrition highlighted it for me, LOL! Derp
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #475
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I haven't read this in a long time. Try using cocoa butter with the coconut oil to give you a snap like hersheys.

I love the silicone ice cube holders and i have candy molds.
Thanks for the tip! My Netrition order with some cocoa butter arrived today and I had no idea what I was going to do with it!
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #476

Okay, So I've got a long post in my journal about making chocolate dipped cream cheese clouds, but I wanted to pop in here and say that making a sweetened oil works!

Before, I tried putting just the crystals into oil, and it came out grainy and uneven, I didn't know why it didn't work...

I thought it might work after hearing about adding sweetened liquid to cocoa butter and letting the water be driven off by heating the cocoa butter, THEN adding the cocoa powder. Driving the water off keeps it from seizing.

I was gonna use my sugar blend, but I wanted zero carbs so I cheated by using Davinci's but since it is just sweetener dissolved in water, I figured it'd be the same.

So I made some ghee, pure butter oil, ( yeah I know coconut works too, but I wanted buttery chocolate) and added The davinci's to it and let it simmer. It fizzled as the water fried out ( I had to use ghee and not plain butter otherwise it would have foamed up and made a mess. coconut oil won't foam up cause it's a pure oil with no water or protein)

Then I added a square of chocolate and cocoa powder, it came out like chocolate. It was thicker It didn't have the snap of bark, because the oil was mostly butter, but I'm sure this would keep it's snap if made with coconut oil. My next batch will be made with a blend of ghee and coconut oil cause I like that snap, though the creamy mouthfeel of the chocolate was pretty darn nice as well.

METQA'S P4 JUDDD JOURNAL post 461

Last edited by metqa; 11-22-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: glidergirl
Saving
glidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote