Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #361
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Thanks Soobee, Greannmhar. Someone told me about the coffee grinder business, but is seems it just stays settled at the bottom. Maybe I should spin it a long time or try the vanilla extract dissolving. I make mine dark chocolate so I won't be using cream, but I will put both of your ideas together. It finally got hot here finally and I don't have to melt my coconut oil anymore. Wish it were melted yesterday

I think I'm going to go grind the heck out of some xylitol, now and let you know how the next batch comes out. If it still doesn't work then I'm gonna return to liquid sucralose and use the xylitol in something else, like jello, or tea where I KNOW it will dissolve eventually.

Question in general, About what time of day do you eat your C.O. Bark? or do you snack all day on it. Do you eat it alone, before or after a meal?
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I am just starting coconut bark. I try to eat it midafternoon. That's when I get the itch to eat, and it's very filling. I would use it at your weakest moments. Instant will power!
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Instant will power!

BF STILL can't comprehend the idea that eating oily chocolate could be good for you. He says, are you really suppose to eat all of that? Each day?

Wow, I feel so silly, you were correct about powdering the sweetener. someone told me to do that before but I didn't quite get it. I thought I was just getting the lumps out. I ran the spin button for like 30 to almost a minute and when I opened the lid, it was really powdered sugar. So Cool! I hadn't run it long enough before HA! So I've made a new batch cause I'm still worried about it settling out since the oil is just liquid but not warm.
Grean, I stirred the vanilla extract into it, I usually only use around five drops, so I had to use a bit more. I'll see in a few minutes how the taste is.

It wasn't sweet enough, so I had to add some stevia to it, andnow its really sweet despite the dark cocoa. sort of grainy still but not as bad as before. thanks for the tips.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #364
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
Metga, I heat the vanilla extract and cream in the micro with the xylitol - this allows it to dissolve better and it mixes better with the warm CO. I'm sure if you do the same with just the vanilla it'll work just as well. I really like the cream in it, though - not quite milk chocolate, just really yummy
I eat mine at night - that's when my cravings kick in. And I eat it ALONE - otherwise, I have to share with DH and DS
Babs
greannmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #365
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kirax2
I've been experimenting with this recipe for about a week now. I grabbed a candy mold at Michael's the other day for under two dollars, and it's been pretty fun to use. Sometime I'd like to make a lot of different batches and put them together into "Valentine's Boxes", that is, a mix of different flavors in each box. Just 'cause I think it would be fun.

Here are the flavors I've tried so far:

Orange oil extract (yummy)
Cherry flavor extract (yummy)
Peppermint flavor extract (yummy)
Brandy extract (just okay, but I've never been a fan of liquor chocolates!)

My list of things to try when I can (I'm not eating nuts until I lose a certain amount):
Natural peanut butter
Natural almond butter
Natural mac nut butter
Almonds
Coconut
Almonds and Coconut together
Macadamia nuts (I think these will work very well in the mold I bought
Pecans, walnuts, peanuts, etc.
Almond extract
"White" chocolate
I have some canned unsweetened tart pie cherries; maybe if I add some cherry extract or soak them in sf cherry syrup they'll taste like maraschinos? I thought that would be fun to add. ^_^
Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have a recipe for caramel that would work? I'd love to have caramel chocolates! They're my favorite!
Has anyone successfully made a convincing "milk chocolate" flavor? I love dark chocolate, but I'm looking for some variety.

Currently, I make one batch of chocolates a day, usually half with a new flavor oil and half plain. This is my current recipe; it exactly fills the 14 slots of the mold:

6 Tablespoons coconut oil (I have some EVCO I've been using, and I just placed a big order from Tropical Traditions for both EVCO and CO)
2 Tablespoons powdered cocoa (Wondercocoa)
4-10 sprays of my splenda spritzer (this is 1 to 2.5 packets of splenda). I prefer the spritzer because the chocolate comes out much smoother and less "grainy". The number of sprays depends on how I'm feeling that day. I taste as I go to determine if it's sweet enough.
(Optional) 1/4 teaspoon flavoring extract to taste

2 net carbs for the entire recipe

I always finish all the chocolates by the end of the day, but sometimes my DH and DD help! I like giving the DD one in the morning along with breakfast, it helps her stay more satisfied until lunch at her preschool, I think (I give her a healthy breakfast, but she'll only eat so much at a time, and then complain of hunger later. The snacks they serve are often bread or cracker-based, which of course makes things worse.)

Thanks so much for this recipe. I can't imagine drinking CO in my coffee or tea when I could be eating wonderful CHOCOLATE! ^_^

-Janice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03853.JPG (48.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03855.JPG (46.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by kirax2; 06-09-2008 at 09:23 AM..
kirax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
These look so delicious. I like dark chocolate, so I don't know. How would heavy cream affect your recipe? Because milk chocolate is chocolate with milk solids and way more sweetener.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #367
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
These look so delicious. I like dark chocolate, so I don't know. How would heavy cream affect your recipe? Because milk chocolate is chocolate with milk solids and way more sweetener.
I tried putting in cream the first time, and it sort of separated out, so I ended up with a clumpy chocolate mess at the bottom and a layer of coconut oil on top. But I also may have over-heated it that time. Maybe I'll try again later today with a half-recipe.

I also want to try mixing in flax meal; I hear that's good.

Thanks for your input!

-Janice
Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirax2 View Post
I tried putting in cream the first time, and it sort of separated out, so I ended up with a clumpy chocolate mess at the bottom and a layer of coconut oil on top. But I also may have over-heated it that time. Maybe I'll try again later today with a half-recipe.

I also want to try mixing in flax meal; I hear that's good.

Thanks for your input!

-Janice
I don't know about flax "meal" but I LOVE to put whole flax seeds in my bark. It adds an interesting crunchy/chewiness. More Chewy. It's awesome. I want to get some candy molds now!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
I have come upon a solution to coconut bark melting too fast in my hand. I began with Kevinpa's coconut bark ratio of 1/2 c. coconut oil to 1/4 c. cocoa (I've been happy with Hershey's Special Dark). I've been using 1/4 tsp of Stevia Liquid (NOW brand) and 1 tablespoon of various Davinci syrups. It may not be sweet enough for everyone's taste, but I like it.

I experimented with adding 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of Oat Fiber 500 and was amazed at the result!!! It adds 6 grams of fiber, 0 net carbs and does not affect the flavor at all but keeps the bark from melting. I am so excited. I've made it several times now and it works like a charm.
Panda120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperAnnette
Stats: 160/138/130 5'3" 46
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2007
bump
CopperAnnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gungadinn1997
WOE: atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda120 View Post
I have come upon a solution to coconut bark melting too fast in my hand. I began with Kevinpa's coconut bark ratio of 1/2 c. coconut oil to 1/4 c. cocoa (I've been happy with Hershey's Special Dark). I've been using 1/4 tsp of Stevia Liquid (NOW brand) and 1 tablespoon of various Davinci syrups. It may not be sweet enough for everyone's taste, but I like it.

I experimented with adding 1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) of Oat Fiber 500 and was amazed at the result!!! It adds 6 grams of fiber, 0 net carbs and does not affect the flavor at all but keeps the bark from melting. I am so excited. I've made it several times now and it works like a charm.
I wonder if you could sub PolyD for the oat fiber with the same results? I don't have the oat fiber 500, but have polyd, wpi5000, wpi8000

hmm, does anyone know?

TIA
gungadinn1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
I wonder if you could sub PolyD for the oat fiber with the same results? I don't have the oat fiber 500, but have polyd, wpi5000, wpi8000

hmm, does anyone know?

TIA
Yes, I think you could. It should work very well. Not really sure of the amount.
I think you should stay away from the WPIs tho. That would be like adding flour to candy. Don't think either of those would turn out well.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Yes, I think you could. It should work very well. Not really sure of the amount.
I think you should stay away from the WPIs tho. That would be like adding flour to candy. Don't think either of those would turn out well.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.
Am gonna try it later tonight and will definitely let you all know!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #374
Junior LCF Member

For those considering getting the Wilson candy mold: Don't put it in the dishwasher! ^^;;; I made that mistake (I'd always hand washed it before, but I was in a hurry that night) and now I have a warped, unusable mold! Fortunately it was cheap, so I don't feel too bad about having to replace it.

Up until now I've been using a kind of ev coconut oil I found at Wal-Mart. This is NOT Lou-Anne's, it's manufactured by a company called Rexall and is sold in the supplement aisle as a nutritional supplement. It comes in a white plastic jar with a screw-on white lid, and is labeled "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil". It has a picture of a coconut on the front and claims to be nothing but "pure, unrefined coconut oil". It's got a light coconut flavor that I find pleasant. It's about $10.00 for 16oz.

I was not unhappy with the EVCO I was getting, but it was kind of expensive, and I wanted some that didn't have any coconut flavor to try making chocolates with. I fried all kinds of things in the EVCO and never tasted the coconut flavor, but I always did when I made chocolates with it. (It was a good flavor, but I wanted some variety.) So I ordered some CO and EVCO in bulk from Tropical Traditions, after calculating that it was cheaper than the individual tubs I've been buying.

I got my order from Tropical Traditions yesterday. First, I want to say that the ordering process was a very positive experience. I emailed them a question about my order and they responded quickly and helpfully.

I opened up the gallon of expeller-pressed CO first. It seems light and is definitely odorless and tasteless. I'm looking forward to using it.

I also liked the coconut cream concentrate I got. It's rich and creamy, and has a light coconut flavor that's very similar the oil I was getting before.

Then I opened the Tropical Traditions EVCO. This was the Gold Label, the fancy stuff. I took a taste...and I'm really disappointed. It just tastes weird. There's a sort of sharpish overtone that's very unpleasant. I thought it might be me at first, but my DH tried it and immediately made a face. I don't think it's just this gallon; I remember that someone else on the boards didn't like the TT EVCO either.

I haven't tried making anything with the TT EVCO yet, and I don't know that I want to. I have been using it on my skin, so it won't totally go to waste, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fry with it without it affecting the taste of the food. But I won't be buying EVCO from TT again.

Just thought I'd share.

-Janice
Old 06-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #375

Quote:
For those considering getting the Wilson candy mold: Don't put it in the dishwasher! ^^;;; I made that mistake (I'd always hand washed it before, but I was in a hurry that night) and now I have a warped, unusable mold! Fortunately it was cheap, so I don't feel too bad about having to replace it.

Up until now I've been using a kind of ev coconut oil I found at Wal-Mart. This is NOT Lou-Anne's, it's manufactured by a company called Rexall and is sold in the supplement aisle as a nutritional supplement. It comes in a white plastic jar with a screw-on white lid, and is labeled "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil". It has a picture of a coconut on the front and claims to be nothing but "pure, unrefined coconut oil". It's got a light coconut flavor that I find pleasant. It's about $10.00 for 16oz.

I was not unhappy with the EVCO I was getting, but it was kind of expensive, and I wanted some that didn't have any coconut flavor to try making chocolates with. I fried all kinds of things in the EVCO and never tasted the coconut flavor, but I always did when I made chocolates with it. (It was a good flavor, but I wanted some variety.) So I ordered some CO and EVCO in bulk from Tropical Traditions, after calculating that it was cheaper than the individual tubs I've been buying.

I got my order from Tropical Traditions yesterday. First, I want to say that the ordering process was a very positive experience. I emailed them a question about my order and they responded quickly and helpfully.

I opened up the gallon of expeller-pressed CO first. It seems light and is definitely odorless and tasteless. I'm looking forward to using it.

I also liked the coconut cream concentrate I got. It's rich and creamy, and has a light coconut flavor that's very similar the oil I was getting before.

Then I opened the Tropical Traditions EVCO. This was the Gold Label, the fancy stuff. I took a taste...and I'm really disappointed. It just tastes weird. There's a sort of sharpish overtone that's very unpleasant. I thought it might be me at first, but my DH tried it and immediately made a face. I don't think it's just this gallon; I remember that someone else on the boards didn't like the TT EVCO either.

I haven't tried making anything with the TT EVCO yet, and I don't know that I want to. I have been using it on my skin, so it won't totally go to waste, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fry with it without it affecting the taste of the food. But I won't be buying EVCO from TT again.

Just thought I'd share.

-Janice
Have you written or called to tell them about your experience with the EVCO? I remember someone else complaining about an odd taste. When I contacted Tropical Traditions last month, they were changing the process for the Refined oil, but they may not know something is wrong with the EVCO. Even if you don't return it, it would be good to let them know that you find it unacceptable and why. They may even be able to discover what batch it is from and find out why, thereby preventing others from bad experiences. I know they'd want to keep your business and your feed back would help.

Thanks for posting your experiences and warning about the TT. Maybe others will also write and get them to get their EVCO back on track.

Soobee, Greannmhar, I want to thank you again for your suggestions last week. My barks are coming out wonderfully. I can finally use the xylitol and stevia like I've been wanting to. I've been adding mint extract to it since weather's been heating up. cold chocolaty minty treat!

Last edited by metqa; 06-17-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Gungadinn - did you ever try the polyD in this recipe?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Gungadinn - did you ever try the polyD in this recipe?
I just tried it today. Very strange. this is the first time I ever made the bark where the coconut oil completely separated from the rest. I had a totally white top and chocolate bottom, tasted nasty and didn't really seem to hold up any better than without the polyd. Will probably try it again, maybe it was the sweeteners, i don't know. I used davinci's- 1 tbsp-same as usual, but yuck!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Well I guess I scratch trying polyD in this one but I will try the Oat Fiber sometime - thanks for experimenting.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I have been making this with the new Russel Stover sugar free dark chocolate squares, and I think it tastes waaaaay better than using cocoa powder!

The serving size on the RS squares is 3 squares, so I melt that with 1/4 cup of CO, a drop of orange oil, 1/4 t. Not Sugar, and some pecans. Yummmm-tastes like MagicShell!
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadinn1997 View Post
I just tried it today. Very strange. this is the first time I ever made the bark where the coconut oil completely separated from the rest. I had a totally white top and chocolate bottom, tasted nasty and didn't really seem to hold up any better than without the polyd. Will probably try it again, maybe it was the sweeteners, i don't know. I used davinci's- 1 tbsp-same as usual, but yuck!
First time I've popped into this thread; fun to watch! Just wanted to say that I wish I'd popped in sooner...it hasn't been my experience that the polyd is all that mixable with fats. With liquids and under heat, yes, and in baking when mixed with other dry ingredients so it is well scattered. But its primary purpose in LC so far seems to be to prevent recrystallization or to provide a gooey syrupy texture...and chocolate (I don't know about coconut oil) is actually a sort of crystalline structure when it hardens.

The oat fiber is doing something else altogether; certainly seems to be surprisingly soluble, and I'm definitely going to try that, now that I'm thinking about (finally!) making some of the chocolate coconut oil bark.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #381
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
bump
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Does anyone have a recipe for caramel that would work? I'd love to have caramel chocolates! They're my favorite!
-Janice
No gooey caramel (any kind of that stuff stalls me big time), but I've got a plain and simple CO batch cooling right now, 6 Tbsp CO (90g), 3 Tbsp dark and natural cocoa powder mixed (15g), 1/2 Tsp Butterscotch 'extract' flavoring, 7 drops sucralose, 1/2 Tsp liquid SugarTwin.

Put 1/8th to 1/4 Tsp Cocoa Nibs (crushed cocoa bean, chocolate au naturel) in each 'compartment' of my heartshaped candymaking tray...for a little choco chip-like crunch.

Should be nice for breakfast.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Has anyone successfully made a convincing "milk chocolate" flavor? I love dark chocolate, but I'm looking for some variety.
-Janice
Check out this thread, with the heavy cream, this seems to end up pretty much milk chocolate!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...use-stuff.html

Last edited by theislandgirl; 09-03-2008 at 11:59 PM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
My version is more "milk chocolatey" for sure. I haven't kept up with this whole thread so I'm not sure if a similar recipe is here or not:

1/2 c. coconut oil, melted (i love TT expeller pressed, flavorless)
1/4 c. cocoa powder (i use Sharffenberger)
1/4 c. equiv. sweetener (Diabetisweet, my choice)
1/4 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 chopped nuts (peanuts are my fave)
and a couple pinches from a of splenda QP if it doesn't seem sweet enough

so easy: nuke oil, whisk in cocoa & sweetner (which dissolves well if oil is REALLY HOT!) add cream, nuts & extract (sometimes I swirl a little pb in at the end) stick in freezer 30 minutes or so.

I never get seperation or any problems. I get a smooth, milk chocolaty confection that sets up nicely (easily cuts with a sharp knife) and without that oily, waxy mouth-feel. makes 8 BIG serving, each with 1 tb CO.
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #385

Oh my goodness you haven't had waxy mouth feel till you've drank previously frozen (and separated)cream

that sounds good. thanks for reviving the thread. I haven't tried the bark with peanuts yet, surprisingly. I've use macnuts, almonds, and pretty much all the other cooking seeds. Duh, why did I think of peanuts. I like dark chocolate,but I may try the milk chocolate with peanuts like a candy bar style.

I do oil pulling with CO, so I guess I don't notice the oilyness. My bark just melts away, sometimes faster than I can taste it.

Last edited by metqa; 12-13-2008 at 09:14 AM..
Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
yeah, met...the cream makes all the difference for me. seems to lessen the "melt rate" as well, though I'll be trying the oat fiber in my next batch. i wasn't too crazy about my first attempt at CO bark since all I had was extra virgin co... it tasted just okay to me, hardly worth making again and the greasy feel was off-putting.....sure glad I followed someone's suggestion re: trying less "flavorful" oil...that & adding plenty of cocoa and cream makes a doggone good, candy-bar tasting, healthy treat! (and waaaay less expensive than those high end lc chocolate bars advertised around the web!)
bigmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #387

Gallery: Dreamchaser
OK, I haven't read this thread. I'll have to read through it when I've got some time. I only read the original recipe in the first post. I can't wait to try this!
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
This stuff really needs a warning with it! Too good!!

I substituted the cocoa powder and the sweetner with one packet of Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa mix............... I couldn't keep my hands off of it!
DBrown8614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown8614 View Post
This stuff really needs a warning with it! Too good!!

I substituted the cocoa powder and the sweetner with one packet of Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa mix............... I couldn't keep my hands off of it!
You're absolutely right. I'm on my second batch from yesterday. It's so good. But I'd much rather overeat this stuff than the "real" crap. I made mine with 1/2 coconut oil, 1/2 butter and walnuts. YUM!! But this is *eventually* self-limiting for me unlike mini peanut butter cups, M & Ms, and mini Snicker's bars which I used to be able to eat all day long...

Last edited by OceanDreaming; 12-18-2008 at 04:22 PM..
OceanDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #390

Hmmm, I was lurking about another thread talking about chocolate chips. the recipe to make them room temperature stable called for parrafin wax. I wonder if (already discounting the idea for being too much work ) if parrafin was added a little bit to the bark if it woud not melt so quickly and could be toted about?