Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Who misses donut holes or funnel cakes?

I found this recipe on another site and cannot take credit for it but must share this with all my friends. All I can say is OH MY GOODNESS! Enjoy!

Doughnut Holes (low carb)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large egg
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
splenda
cinnamon -- for topping

Taste- and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the Splenda, protein powder, and vanilla. Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine). Using a large tablespoon or serving spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8 doughnut holes, and servings 2-4. I ate 6 LOL! I fried these in coconut oil. I made a double batch for DH and I.

Yield:
"2 each"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 162 Calories; 17g Fat (93.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 104mg Cholesterol; 175mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Fat.
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 03-15-2007 at 09:46 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Not Me....

Even before I started the lc lifestyle, donuts gave me a huge sugar headache!
Now potato chips is another story
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #3

But these are made with splenda and seriously taste like the real thing. Please try them you will see
Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jewell1
Oh yum! Thanks so much, I can't wait to try these!!!!
jewell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
Made these tonight, they were really good. Thank you for passing the recipe on!
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eileen
Stats: 5'7"at 211.0/202.4/100's club ASAP!!! PLEASE!!!
WOE: Atkins.
Start Date: March 29, 2009
This sounds so good. Sorry if this is a silly question. But what is vanilla whey protein powder splenda? And where can I find this? I have all other ingredients but what ever that is. And I so want to try it. Thanks.
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
This sounds so good. Sorry if this is a silly question. But what is vanilla whey protein powder splenda? And where can I find this? I have all other ingredients but what ever that is. And I so want to try it. Thanks.
Vanilla Whey Protein powder can be purchased at Walmart, Netrition or any stores that carry meal replacement powders.

It isn't vanilla whey protein powder splenda? The splenda is just separate and you use 2 tablespoons.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Eileen
Stats: 5'7"at 211.0/202.4/100's club ASAP!!! PLEASE!!!
WOE: Atkins.
Start Date: March 29, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Vanilla Whey Protein powder can be purchased at Walmart, Netrition or any stores that carry meal replacement powders.

It isn't vanilla whey protein powder splenda? The splenda is just separate and you use 2 tablespoons.
OH thanks so much. I can't wait ti get some. And try it. Thanks
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gsars1
Just made these this morning. They were great, I felt like I was cheating , even my 11 year old daughter liked them. Thanks for this recipe.
gsars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nisha_mommy2one
Stats: 187/183/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 8, 2013 (this time around)::: April 8, 2005
OHHH these sounds really good! I want to make them NOW but ran out of eggs Well will ask dh to pick some when he gets home and can have some with coffee as my afternoon snack
nisha_mommy2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Wondering if anyone who tried it has a picture of the finished product? I would love to see how it looks while I wait to get my eggs
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gsars1
I don't have a picture but they didn't look all that pretty, kind of like fried globs I wish I had one of those donut maker things then they would look like the real thing.
gsars1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Im thinking of putting it in a ziplock bag and cutting the edge so I can try and have round shaped ones like a real donut? Will let u know how it turns out...
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #14

I think they look like donut holes. Fried little puff balls. I find the smaller they are the crunchier they are and remind me more of funnel cakes. I use a soup spoon and push off the batter with my finger into the oil. Then coat them with splenda and cinnamon. One batch makes enough for DH and I am now my DD wants to start eating them too so I will have to double it. But these are so easy and quick.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Great Recipe

Skeeter,

Excellent recipe!!! I made them today and they were great. My family even loved them. I knew they were really good when my 15 asked for me. He refusred to eat anything with the word lowcarb. They remind me of the funnel cakes that have the state fair that you buy with coolwhip and frozen strawberries.. After I made them, my boys dust theirs with powdered sugar and topped it with whipped cream and strawberries. I also topped mines with whipped cream and the frozen strawberries (sweeten my berries with a little splenda to make like a awberry syrup). Thanks for sharing. This is a keeper.
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Nisha - are you going to post a pic when you try them?

I read this thread the other day when Skeeter first posted it and since reading it again I think I'm gonna try these. Sound simple and quick!

Skeeter - I do have a ? though. The recipe says to serve hot. Have you had any left that have been around for a day or so? Wonder if they harden up or remain soft. Probably a few seconds nuked would bring them back to the "just cooked" stage - what do you think?
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Nisha - are you going to post a pic when you try them?

I read this thread the other day when Skeeter first posted it and since reading it again I think I'm gonna try these. Sound simple and quick!

Skeeter - I do have a ? though. The recipe says to serve hot. Have you had any left that have been around for a day or so? Wonder if they harden up or remain soft. Probably a few seconds nuked would bring them back to the "just cooked" stage - what do you think?
They are gone before I finish them. So no I can't tell you if they hold up. They are wonderfully simple and fun. The recipe doesn't make a big batch just about 8 large donuts or about 12 small ones (approx)

Last edited by SkeeterN; 03-18-2007 at 03:43 PM..
Old 03-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslaster View Post
Skeeter,

Excellent recipe!!! I made them today and they were great. My family even loved them. I knew they were really good when my 15 asked for me. He refusred to eat anything with the word lowcarb. They remind me of the funnel cakes that have the state fair that you buy with coolwhip and frozen strawberries.. After I made them, my boys dust theirs with powdered sugar and topped it with whipped cream and strawberries. I also topped mines with whipped cream and the frozen strawberries (sweeten my berries with a little splenda to make like a awberry syrup). Thanks for sharing. This is a keeper.
Land O Lakes make a wonderful sugar free whipped cream made with splenda.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Skeeter - right after I posted my questions I went to the kitchen and whipped up a batch (actually 2 batches! ). I tried one right out of the oil and it was great. I tried a couple little pieces that kinda fell off during cooking a while later and they were good too. The rest I've put in a ziplock bag and I'll try a couple for breakfast tomorrow - will post back on how they are cooled and/or reheated.

Thanks for this recipe. I figured since I had everything out I may as well make 2 batches so I hope they keep well. I'll probably even end up freezing some. If that works then I think I'd like to try some other flavorings/additives. I'm thinking chocolate, pumpkin and coconut. Those would be my faves to try first. Anyone else gonna experiment with different flavors?

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Skeeter thank you for this AMAZING receipe! I mad ethis and dh was impressed...it tastes really good and I was SO impressed I'll be making it for company comming over on Wednesday. I usually dont serve guests who are not on LC, sugar free food BUT this is a MUST for anyone

Ok I followed your receipe but added 2 scoops since it made it more workable. I put the batter in a ziplock and made a small cut on the corner. I must say my oil was hot and it cooked REALLY fast....the moment I had them on its was done..lol...try to keep the oil temp to a med while pre heating it.

Here's how it looked once fried:

Then I sprinkled cinnamon and twin sugar over it and added homemade whipped cream and berries. The whipped cream looks brown because I added sugar free chocolate pudding mix since I love chocolate on anything :blush:

The taste is SO good it's a MUST for anyone, and I can garuntee even the non LCers will love it Thanks again Skeeter for the receipe
Jan 11::: 184
Jan 12::: 183.6
Jan 13::: 183.2
Jan 18::: 182.4
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...W0n/weight.png
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha_mommy2one View Post
Skeeter thank you for this AMAZING receipe! I mad ethis and dh was impressed...it tastes really good and I was SO impressed I'll be making it for company comming over on Wednesday. I usually dont serve guests who are not on LC, sugar free food BUT this is a MUST for anyone

Ok I followed your receipe but added 2 scoops since it made it more workable. I put the batter in a ziplock and made a small cut on the corner. I must say my oil was hot and it cooked REALLY fast....the moment I had them on its was done..lol...try to keep the oil temp to a med while pre heating it.

Here's how it looked once fried:

Then I sprinkled cinnamon and twin sugar over it and added homemade whipped cream and berries. The whipped cream looks brown because I added sugar free chocolate pudding mix since I love chocolate on anything :blush:

The taste is SO good it's a MUST for anyone, and I can garuntee even the non LCers will love it Thanks again Skeeter for the receipe
Nisha,

Nice pictures. Mines looked almost like yours, but without the blackerries.
mslaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #22

Mine don't look that impressive. LOL! Mine are just tiny puff balls like donut holes.

Still they are quite good. Wonder if adding more powder affects the taste?

I knew that if people tried these they would love them. I just think they are the best quickest thing to make I have run across for breakfast.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nisha - great pics! Mine looked like yours except a bit thinner. I think I'd add the extra scoop of protein powder next time too to get them a bit thicker. The thin batter just seems to really spread out.

Skeeter - that being said, how do you get yours like donut holes? There's no way I could get that batter to be like a round ball, but it definitely went the funnel cake route!

My morning taste test results: they're ok cold (room temp) but are better warmed in the micro for 10-15 seconds. Any longer and they get tough. In the interest of science I ate 4 for breakfast, trying them different ways, of course! I think they may hold me till dinnertime!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Nisha - great pics! Mine looked like yours except a bit thinner. I think I'd add the extra scoop of protein powder next time too to get them a bit thicker. The thin batter just seems to really spread out.

Skeeter - that being said, how do you get yours like donut holes? There's no way I could get that batter to be like a round ball, but it definitely went the funnel cake route!

My morning taste test results: they're ok cold (room temp) but are better warmed in the micro for 10-15 seconds. Any longer and they get tough. In the interest of science I ate 4 for breakfast, trying them different ways, of course! I think they may hold me till dinnertime!
I dropped one spoonful into the oil. Sometimes they aren't so uniformly round and sometimes rather goofy looking but wow they still taste great.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Skeeter. Now, I'll stop trying to get them to look like donut holes and just enjoy them however they come out!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought my protein powder out of a bin, so I am just wondering, about how much is a scoop?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
The scoops I got with my protein powder are 1/3 cup.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks. When I made these, I just kinda eyeballed it. When the batter looked right that was when I made the donuts. I recall having seen a few recipes that call for a scoop, so I was curious how much that actually was.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DeMartini
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: March 12, 2007
I'm really excited about this recipe!!! I just have some questions...

Is whey protein induction friendly?
Where in whole foods would I locate whey protein powder?
DeMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #30

When I put this in my mastercook. Even with putting the vanilla whey protein powder in the new ingredient list and following all the ingredients on the back of the container it still comes out to be 1 carb each. So if your careful I would say it would be ok. Just remember to factor in the fact that your only allowed 20 g a day for 2 weeks. These are very small and so easy to scarf down that you can consume (or at least I can) 6 before I know it! That is still only 6 carbs but I do maintenance.

I got my vanilla whey protein powder in the isle with all the other nutritional supplements.