Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hummmmm I am off tomorrow. I may have to make some of these!
Skeeter pointed me in this direction before but I forgot about them.[/COLOR]
I love this recipe as it is written. Actually eat it just about everyday. I eat half of the original recipe which makes about 14 doughnuts using a regular kitchen small teaspoon. So I eat only 7 and put the rest in the refrigerator uncooked to make the next day. They do not hold up well after they are cooked.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 01-13-2008 at 10:14 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PghPALady1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PITTSBURGH PA
Posts: 4,462
Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I love this recipe as it is written. Actually eat it just about everyday. I eat half of the original recipe which makes about 14 doughnuts using a regular kitchen small teaspoon. So I eat only 7 and put the rest in the refrigerator uncooked to make the next day. They do not hold up well after they are cooked.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Thanks for the tip!!

You use the orig recipe in the first post, correct?

[/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #93
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversunfire View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Thanks for the tip!!

You use the orig recipe in the first post, correct?

[/COLOR]
Yes.

Since I make these so often I will give you some tips.

Do not let the oil get too hot when dropping the batter into the oil. I take the pan off the burner between batches. If the oil is too hot the batter will just fall apart. I never let the heat be higher than medium and still remove the pan between batches.

Do not use too large a spoon because the donuts will be too big and harder to get done all the way through.

If the donuts do not puff up but stay flat make sure you have enough oil in the pan. I use a small sauce pan and cook like 7 at a time.

If the batter is too thin, add more protein powder.

again the recipe is

1/2 stick of butter
1 egg
1 scoop protein powder
2 packets splenda
1/2 tsp vanilla
Stir till smooth.
This should make 14 donuts using a kitchen teaspoon (not measuring spoon) just regular small spoon.

If I have no one to share these with I put 7 spoonfuls in a container, cover it and put it in the fridge. Then cook up the other 7 spoonfuls for breakfast
__________________
~~Anita~~
Celebrated Atkins for 10+ years!
Read how low carb saved my life
Anita's Web Page

Last edited by SkeeterN; 01-14-2008 at 06:14 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Alabama
Posts: 440
Gallery: Dixie Barkley
Subscribe
Dixie Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
PghPALady1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PITTSBURGH PA
Posts: 4,462
Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Yes.

Since I make these so often I will give you some tips.

Do not let the oil get too hot when dropping the batter into the oil. I take the pan off the burner between batches. If the oil is too hot the batter will just fall apart. I never let the heat be higher than medium and still remove the pan between batches.

Do not use too large a spoon because the donuts will be too big and harder to get done all the way through.

If the donuts do not puff up but stay flat make sure you have enough oil in the pan. I use a small sauce pan and cook like 7 at a time.

If the batter is too thin, add more protein powder.

again the recipe is

1/2 stick of butter
1 egg
1 scoop protein powder
2 packets splenda
1/2 tsp vanilla
Stir till smooth.
This should make 14 donuts using a kitchen teaspoon (not measuring spoon) just regular small spoon.

If I have no one to share these with I put 7 spoonfuls in a container, cover it and put it in the fridge. Then cook up the other 7 spoonfuls for breakfast
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I will be putting this in my recipe book! Im hoping to make these today but right now I have a pumpkin baking and am planning on deviled eggs. [/COLOR]
PghPALady1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!
 
DixieMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,147
Gallery: DixieMoon
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2/2011
Hey Skeeter - was wondering if the Splenda and vanilla were left out, could this be eaten as a "bread" base? Was thinking making this and maybe tripling the amount dropped into the hot oil and use as a fry bread. Anyone try this yet?
DixieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #97
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,720
Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
I tried doing these like funnel cake but ended up more like french toast. Was happy with that though also, have to get me some sf syrup to pour over it.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!
 
shelby7851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,121
Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
Oh Skeeter, i took your advice, and made these last night exactly as the recipe you posted, and i love them! I have tried so many things here to replace the sweets that we cut out, and i havent liked any of them. I didnt have high hopes for this honestly ...and was so so so so so so pleasantly surprised!

i made too many, and actually put them in a bowl with a lid last night, and they were still good this morning! they are a little greasy, but i really like these.

Thanks for the post! and the tips!
__________________
09/19/11 240
10/10/11 230
11/11/11 220
11/28/11 229
12/30/11 216
11/14/13 235


My Journal
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sun & Sand
Posts: 315
Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
subscribe
FatKat184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #100
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieMoon View Post
Hey Skeeter - was wondering if the Splenda and vanilla were left out, could this be eaten as a "bread" base? Was thinking making this and maybe tripling the amount dropped into the hot oil and use as a fry bread. Anyone try this yet?
You would need a unsweetened whey protein as the vanilla whey protein powder i use is sweetened.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member
 
Barbara690's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: southern Colorado
Posts: 958
Gallery: Barbara690
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct,2003 this time around
Well,it's a toss up between deila's and skeeters recipes which one I like the most.They are very different from each other but both are very good.
Barbara690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Gallery: Dodejo
donut holes

I tried the donut hole recipe but they left a terrible aftertaste in my mouth.It must be from the splenda. They came out real good though. I used my small scoop that I use for meatballs and cookies. It's like a small ice cream scoop. They came out nice and round just like donut holes. I will try them again and maybe cut the sugar in half. My daughter thought it might be the whey protein powder. I didn't think so. Another thing......I was so worried about turning them over so they don't burn I took them out too soon and most of them were a little wet inside.

Last edited by Dodejo; 01-15-2008 at 09:43 PM..
Dodejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #103
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodejo View Post
I tried the donut hole recipe but they left a terrible aftertaste in my mouth.It must be from the splenda. They came out real good though. I used my small scoop that I use for meatballs and cookies. It's like a small ice cream scoop. They came out nice and round just like donut holes. I will try them again and maybe cut the sugar in half. My daughter thought it might be the whey protein powder. I didn't think so. Another thing......I was so worried about turning them over so they don't burn I took them out too soon and most of them were a little wet inside.
What whey protein powder are you using? I have never had a problem with either giving a bad after taste. If they were wet inside and very brown outside try lowering the oil temperature.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 614
Gallery: Mallory
I tried these today and they were pretty tasty! Giada was making real mini donuts on the Food Network so I watched how she did it and did the same for this recipe..she said her oil was between 325 and 350 and to not left it go over that..which was the perfect temp!..and she cooked them a little slower than I have in the past and they were beautiful. I did the same thing and they looked like round donuts..so cute! I took Kevins icing from his cinnamon roll recipe and made that up to dunk them in..very good!
Next time, my daughter wants me to inject them with a bit of sweetened heavy cream and a bit of choc sauce (need a lc recipe) on top for a kind of eclair type of thing. Or even jam in the middle would make a nice jelly donut..
Giada added orange zest to her dough and sugar afterwards and dunked them in choc..but I bet orange zest added to the dough would be a nice change..

Thanks for the recipe~!
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!
 
shelby7851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,121
Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
Skeeter, i find the oil is ruined of course after this, and if you are making these everyday, arent you going through a ton of oil each week? maybe i just had too much in my pan...i dont know ....
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #106
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby7851 View Post
Skeeter, i find the oil is ruined of course after this, and if you are making these everyday, arent you going through a ton of oil each week? maybe i just had too much in my pan...i dont know ....
No, I can use the same oil for a few days. I use a small sauce pan and only cook about 7 at a time, and when it cools pour it through a strainer into a small covered dish. Some oils break down quicker than others coconut the worse. I was using peanut oil but that is so expensive. Lately which isn't the best oil to use I am using canola for the expense issue. If I drop the batter in oil and it immediately gets a lacy look to the edge of the donut then I know my oil is too hot. I remove it from the burner and wait a few moments. If this happens yes my oil gets quite nasty. I do this so often I can cook them in my sleep. I made a post way back at the beginning of this thread about my donuts just falling apart. I found my oil was way too hot. They will just totally disintegrate if the oil is extremely hot.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!
 
shelby7851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St Louis
Posts: 1,121
Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
Okay, i see.the first batch i put in, the oil was too hot, i put in like 4 at a time, but they were brown, and there was brown gunk floating LOL...I have a little fry daddy, maybe i will try that, so that i can control the temp of the oil easier, although, the next few were better, when i turned it down.

I bought some sf syrup the other day, i think these would be good like pancakes as well....
shelby7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #108
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby7851 View Post
Okay, i see.the first batch i put in, the oil was too hot, i put in like 4 at a time, but they were brown, and there was brown gunk floating LOL...I have a little fry daddy, maybe i will try that, so that i can control the temp of the oil easier, although, the next few were better, when i turned it down.

I bought some sf syrup the other day, i think these would be good like pancakes as well....
You will waste more oil with a fry daddy. You don't need that much oil. The oil doesn't last that long.


Mine would be considered a 8 inch saute pan. I called it a sauce pan but it isn't. Sorry about that. My DS bought me a deep fry for these and I had him take it back. With this smaller pan I can control how much oil I use and how hot it gets by removing it frequently from the burner.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 512
Gallery: stewcarol
Dodejo, I thought the same thing you did when you tried them...strange aftertaste and some too large to cook all the way through, so sort of wet inside. Skeeter, you've given great tips, and I didn't follow them all (spoon too big, oil too hot). I used Now Sports Whey Protein Isolate. Was that the wrong thing? Thanks for all these tips.
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #110
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SkeeterN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 18,386
Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004


Your suppose to use vanilla whey protein powder. I have never used anything but this brand. This is available at Walmart and Kroger. When I had company during my DD's wedding I made a triple batch for all the family because I have a sister and her DH who does South Beach. Her husband said he thought they were amazing and that they just melt in ones mouth. No one has ever said anything about an odd aftertaste.

Last edited by SkeeterN; 01-18-2008 at 06:07 AM..
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member
 
ltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East
Posts: 121
Gallery: ltip
Stats: 165/143/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Mid Jan 07
thats the powder i use too. I made Waffles with the batter again last night .. Yummy!!
ltip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 512
Gallery: stewcarol
Thanks for the picture Skeeter! Not only was mine "isolate" but it wasn't "vanilla". I'm SURE that had something to do with the aftertaste. I'm going to try again. )
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 819
Gallery: Mindfulness
Stats: 195.6/140/140 F,38yo, 5'4"
WOE: hhcg
Start Date: 07/23/2010
WOW! I just made waffles for the whole family. Everybody LOVED them. Thanks for the recipe Skeeter!

I quadrupled the recipe and it made 5 large waffles.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #114
KOO
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,720
Gallery: KOO
Stats: Starting 183(2/06)now below....
WOE: Hcg 9/12/12...142.5/134/130
Are you ladies using a waffle iron? I am going to have to try that.
KOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member
 
ltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East
Posts: 121
Gallery: ltip
Stats: 165/143/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Mid Jan 07
yes i am using a regular Waffle Iron, i don't have a belgin one but either one would work. My DH convinced me to fold in some whipped egg whites for waffles and that worked out pretty good.
ltip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!
 
Boudica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Embracing mackereality!
Posts: 2,702
Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltip View Post
yes i am using a regular Waffle Iron, i don't have a belgin one but either one would work. My DH convinced me to fold in some whipped egg whites for waffles and that worked out pretty good.
You are now regulated to post the recipe you used & step by step instructions!
Boudica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!
 
theislandgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,471
Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltip View Post
yes i am using a regular Waffle Iron, i don't have a belgin one but either one would work. My DH convinced me to fold in some whipped egg whites for waffles and that worked out pretty good.
Great idea. Did you separate the eggs in the recipe, beat THOSE egg whites, or add more?

Ta.

theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member
 
ltip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: East
Posts: 121
Gallery: ltip
Stats: 165/143/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Mid Jan 07
I just mixed up Skeeters recipe as is ( i Doubled For making Waffles) whipped up 2 egg whites and folded them in. Just that easy. I liked them both with and without but DH liked them better with the egg whites.
ltip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member
 
sappl38220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern MN~GODS Country
Posts: 548
Gallery: sappl38220
Stats: 198/190/140
WOE: general lo carb
Start Date: on & off since Dec '99
Thank you Skeeter for this recipe. I just made them exactly as posted and they are awesome!!!! I will make these again and again!!
sappl38220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 512
Gallery: stewcarol
I just tried these a second time...delicious. The first time I used Whey Protein Isolate and they had an odd taste. This time I used Vannila Whey Protein Powder, like the recipe called for, and they we more flavorful. The batter was a little thin with just one scoop. Are there different size scoops, and do you know if your scoop is 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup etc. Skeeter? thanks again.
stewcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.