Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
How long do I boil frozen chicken breasts for chicken salad?

And is it OK to boil them from frozen? They don't have to be thawed first do they?
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ira500
Stats: 224/178/166
WOE: Protein power/GO Diet
Start Date: 2/2001
Yes, you can cook chicken breasts frozen. It'll just take a while. If you have a microwave, it's faster to defrost in the microwave and then boil.
From the frozen state, it should take about 15 minutes or so to boil a chicken breast till done. take it out and split it open a little in the middle. If it's still red or pink, put it back in for a few more minutes. For me, flavor's better when you turn down the flame once the chicken is in the boiling water.
ira500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
Yes, you can cook chicken breasts frozen. It'll just take a while. If you have a microwave, it's faster to defrost in the microwave and then boil.
From the frozen state, it should take about 15 minutes or so to boil a chicken breast till done. take it out and split it open a little in the middle. If it's still red or pink, put it back in for a few more minutes. For me, flavor's better when you turn down the flame once the chicken is in the boiling water.
Thanks ira!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
I'd thaw them first. Then put in salted water to cover,bring to a boil. Are they boneless or with bone? Bone ones would take longer of course. I let them simmer, with a lid on, for about 15 mins then shut the water off and let it cool down in the water. Seems to keep them moist. Also, I add celery/onions and seasonings to the water to give them some flavor.

HTH
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
I'd thaw them first. Then put in salted water to cover,bring to a boil. Are they boneless or with bone? Bone ones would take longer of course. I let them simmer, with a lid on, for about 15 mins then shut the water off and let it cool down in the water. Seems to keep them moist. Also, I add celery/onions and seasonings to the water to give them some flavor.

HTH
24FAn - Thanks for your response. The ones I have are boneless. Just curious, what is the difference in thawing them first? Seems like it wouldn't make that much difference if you are just boiling them for chicken salad except for, of course, boiling from frozen would take more boiling time. Or does it affect the tenderness also? Just wondering because I've never boiled chicken before.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
They're even more moist if you steam them. If you don't have a steamer, crumple some foil into a sauce pan. Put some water in the pan and lay the thawed chicken breasts on top of the foil (out of the water.) Bring to a boil and steam until breasts are cooked. Add water to pan if needed. Very tender, very moist.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
24FAn - Thanks for your response. The ones I have are boneless. Just curious, what is the difference in thawing them first? Seems like it wouldn't make that much difference if you are just boiling them for chicken salad except for, of course, boiling from frozen would take more boiling time. Or does it affect the tenderness also? Just wondering because I've never boiled chicken before.
I think I read somewhere it makes them tough to boil from frozen but I could be wrong. I only know how to cook them thawed
24Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Fan View Post
I think I read somewhere it makes them tough to boil from frozen but I could be wrong. I only know how to cook them thawed
Thanks 24Fan
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogirl View Post
They're even more moist if you steam them. If you don't have a steamer, crumple some foil into a sauce pan. Put some water in the pan and lay the thawed chicken breasts on top of the foil (out of the water.) Bring to a boil and steam until breasts are cooked. Add water to pan if needed. Very tender, very moist.
gotogirl - How long does it take the breasts to cook like this? It seems like it would take it forever to steam them all the way even if they were already thawed. Maybe I'm wrong though. And would you go to the trouble to steam them if you were only going to shred the breasts for chicken salad?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: am2106
Stats: 211/200/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/8/07
After reading through this thread (and craving Chicken Salad!), I steamed some last night that were frozen. I ran them under hot water first to start it, but then I steamed them on med-high setting for 30 minutes. I checked them at 15, but they were still kinda raw looking. I seasoned them with seasoning salt and am planning on Chicken Salad for dinner - mmm.
am2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
They really don't take any longer to steam them than to boil them. And, yes, I would steam them even for chicken salad. They just taste better.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
I have seen recipes prepared on Food Network that poach, not boil the chicken.

Bring your water or broth up to boiling and then reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes, covered. This keeps the chicken tender.
NotoSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chrysantheyums
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2106 View Post
After reading through this thread (and craving Chicken Salad!), I steamed some last night that were frozen. I ran them under hot water first to start it, but then I steamed them on med-high setting for 30 minutes. I checked them at 15, but they were still kinda raw looking. I seasoned them with seasoning salt and am planning on Chicken Salad for dinner - mmm.
I've seen some chefs (like Robert Irvine) say that you must not thaw uncooked meat using hot water because it causes bacteria to grow. I'm sure that once you cook it, most of the bacteria will be killed off, but I'd still be cautious.

Also, I've used chicken that's been frozen in a salt solution. The chicken is really tender when cooked, but it's really salty for my taste.
chrysantheyums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Don't boil, just throw frozen chix breasts in crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low, no water, just out very moist, just falls apart, easy with minimal mess and cleanup.
goheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
I don't boil, I poach about 40 minutes for large breasts (1 lb).
steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #16

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
as with all meat, it's best to use a thermometer! internal temp of about 165 should be ideal. anything warmer and you are toughening the proteins and making the chicken dry.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #17

Gallery: pocahontas
I prefer mine roasted! It gives the chix salad more flavor IMO.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady View Post
I don't boil, I poach about 40 minutes for large breasts (1 lb).
I poach mine too. Never boil meat as it will get tough. Another thought is that some chicken is injected with a salt solution. Try to avoid that stuff as it can make the meat taste funky.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote