Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori92325
Stats: 5'1 169/135/120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: June 20, 2006
Pressure Cooker recipes?

Does anyone have any good pressure cooker recipes. The only thing I ever make in mine that comes out really good is chicken veggie soup.
Lori92325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bar10der
Stats: 143/137/125
WOE: low carb beer
Start Date: on and off and on and off
Way back when, my mother used to make fried chicken in the pressure cooker on sunday mornings. Soon as we got back from church, she would start it while everyone would change clothes and get all the gear together. Couple hours later ( 6 kids + parents + 2 grand-parents) we would be ready to leave.

she would wrap the PC in a towel and off to the beach we went. Hours later, when ready to eat, it was delicious. She never did show me how she did it, but it was the best chicken ever. But I don't think it was breaded.

I have an OLD pressure cooker, I think it's 4 qts. But it probably needs a new seal. I know it's a presto, and I think it's one of the best things ever.

Bring on the recipes.
Bar10der is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
bump
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Mine's a Presto too but it's probably 25 years old. I use mine mainly to cook roasts (I buy the cheap cuts and they fall apart when done and I use the broth for gravy) and to tenderize ribs (I just cook 10 minutes then put them on the grill for a few minutes for smoky flavor). I also use it for chicken, venison roast and quail. My grandmother used to cook her fresh veggies and soups in the pressure cooker. I do my soups in my slow cooker. I keep saying I'm going to try veggies but haven't yet. Any cut of meat will turn out very tender in a pressure cooker and it doesn't take long.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #5

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
bumping for more recipe ideas for the Pressure Cooker.
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori92325 View Post
Does anyone have any good pressure cooker recipes. The only thing I ever make in mine that comes out really good is chicken veggie soup.
Sounds good! Are you willing to share your recipe?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
If you google "pressure cooker recipes" you'll come up with TONS of them and many are low carb friendly already, or easily converted.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Here's one I got off this site. I'm sorry I didn't note who the recipe came from; wish I could give credit where credit is due cos we LOVE this. I've done it with chicken breasts and with chicken thighs and either way, the chicken is so moist and the sauce is delicious.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Bistro Chicken in the Pressure Cooker

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Company's Coming

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 shallots
1 can diced tomatoes -- drained
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

Mince shallots. Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in pressure cooker. Add chicken and brown on both sides; remove from pan and set aside.

Add vinegar to pressure cooker and scrape any browned bits from the bottom. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, wine, stock and tarragon, salt and pepper and then arrange chicken on top. Cover and bring to full pressure. Once full pressure is reached, cook for 10 minutes. Release pressure and remove chicken and set aside, covered with foil.

Increase heat to high and boil sauce til thick, about 5 minutes. Add xanthum or another thickening agent if desired. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp of butter and adjust seasoning. Return chicken to pan and turn to coat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 308 Calories; 17g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 146mg Cholesterol; 328mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

And here's some general ideas I got off another board years ago. (So the "I" in these notes is her, not me). You can adjust these general instructions to your liking.

---------------------------------
For the boiled dinner his favorite is with kielbasa although i have done corned beef and smoked shoulder. I just put potatoes and carrots and cabbage and some onion in the cooker and top it with the meat and bring up to pressure and cook. For a kielbasa about 20-25 min and a corned beef about 45. The vegetables have a wonderful flavor when done this way.

I also have put whole chickens and small turkeys or turkey breast in the pressure cooker with onion and celery and carrot and bouquet garni and cooked after coming up to pressure for about and hour. The meat falls off the bones and can be used to make the best chicken or turkey salads.Also the broth is wonderful. I strain it and defat it and use it in soups, casseroles, or anything you would use broth for. The meat can be frozen if there is too much of it for a single use.

Also I have put chuck roasts or bottom of the round or pork shoulders in the pressure cooker to cook for about an hour after coming to pressure. Then shred the meat and heat it in a barbecue sauce. I have tried many types of sauces. This makes wonderful sandwiches. I sometimes put the meat and sauce in my crockpot for the final heating.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #10

Gallery: Mackenzie
WOE: Lower Carb
Start Date: Restart 9/13/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
And here's some general ideas I got off another board years ago. (So the "I" in these notes is her, not me). You can adjust these general instructions to your liking.

---------------------------------
For the boiled dinner his favorite is with kielbasa although i have done corned beef and smoked shoulder. I just put potatoes and carrots and cabbage and some onion in the cooker and top it with the meat and bring up to pressure and cook. For a kielbasa about 20-25 min and a corned beef about 45. The vegetables have a wonderful flavor when done this way.

I also have put whole chickens and small turkeys or turkey breast in the pressure cooker with onion and celery and carrot and bouquet garni and cooked after coming up to pressure for about and hour. The meat falls off the bones and can be used to make the best chicken or turkey salads.Also the broth is wonderful. I strain it and defat it and use it in soups, casseroles, or anything you would use broth for. The meat can be frozen if there is too much of it for a single use.

Also I have put chuck roasts or bottom of the round or pork shoulders in the pressure cooker to cook for about an hour after coming to pressure. Then shred the meat and heat it in a barbecue sauce. I have tried many types of sauces. This makes wonderful sandwiches. I sometimes put the meat and sauce in my crockpot for the final heating.
Wow! These ideas sound really good! Thanks for posting them!
Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Sounds good! Are you willing to share your recipe?
Chicken Veggie soup

6 cubes chicken boullion
6 cups water
1 whole chicken
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic finely chopped

Cook the above ingedients in the pressure cooker for about 30 mins. Don't start the time until your cooker starts making noise. Remove from heat and let the steam out before opening. Remove chicken from broth and let cool enough for you to touch. pull apart the chicken and put back in broth. Season broth to taste. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.... Just taste it and see what you like. Bring to a boil w/out lid on and add frozen veggies or fresh veggies of your choice and cook till veggies are done. I like to use oriental style frozen veggies with mushrooms, green beans, broccoli and onoin, but the possibilities are endless.

Enjoy, I don't even miss the noodles, or rice and infact I think it comes out better w/out it. My boyfriend who is a meat and potatoes kinda guy even loved this recipe, the left overs don't last long.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Zib, I'm assuming you add water to these recipes.....right?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
Start Date: September 2003
I use my pressure cooker primarily for cooking vegetables, although occasionally I will do sauerbraten in it. I especially like using it to soften canned black soybeans. I found the texture of those beans a little too al dente and was not able to cook them long enough to soften them. Now, all I do is drain and rinse the canned black soybeans and add to the pressure cooker with 1 and 1/2 cups water and cook under pressure for 7-8 minutes and I have soft beans to use for baked beans.

I also like to use the pressure cooker to cook a head of cauliflower, whole for my Dijonaise and cheddar crusted cauliflower. I simply trim the cauliflower and cook it under pressure for 4-6 minutes, depending on the size of the cauliflower. I then remove the cauliflower to a baking pan and cover it with a mixture of 3 parts mayonnaise to 1 part dijon mustard and then pat shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sooz
Stats: 171.8/157.9/145 (5'6")
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: Over and over and over
I don't have a pressure cooker (for some reason they scare me!). This recipe was originally for the PC but I make it on the stove. It turns out to be about 4 grams of carbs per serving with 1 gram of fiber . I make it without the onion and use onion powder instead to season the chicken. I think that takes the carb count down a bit.

Wish I could remember where I got this recipe so I could give credit because it is really good.

Indonesian Chicken
5 Servings

8 pieces chickens (I use thighs)
2 tablespoons butter
1 sliced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Brown chicken pieces in butter with sliced onion and minced garlic. Place browned chicken and onions in pressure cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the chicken.

Heat on high until pressure cooker top starts to rock, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I NEGU! Do you?
Sooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #15
Gadget Gal

Sooz, I used to be a-skeert of them too until I bought a digital programmable one from QVC - it's easy to use and NOT scary (after the first time anyway!) and I really do love it!

It's an 8 quart oval and you can cook a mess of stuff in it at once.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Zib,

Glad you're enjoying my recipe. I absolutely love it, as does everyone I serve it to, L/C or not.
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Sooz, I used to be a-skeert of them too until I bought a digital programmable one from QVC....
I love QVC and have always wanted to cook in a PC. Think I'll go find out how much they cost! Thanks Charski....
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #18
Gadget Gal

Sit down! They're not cheap!

It's the Cook's Essentials 8 quart....

Last edited by Charski; 03-01-2007 at 03:34 PM..
Old 03-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Decodiana, we do love your recipe. We've made it for company, too, and it gets raves. Glad to find out who I stole it from.

Pam, I'd say about 6-8 ounces stock or water or a combo of stock and wine. I base this on other recipes I have.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Sit down! They're not cheap!

Wowie!!! It is expensive but it sounds really good!

Retail Value $244.00
QVC Price $161.76
Shipping and Handling $13.97
Save! Buy two or more and save on S & H

Plan ahead. A two-hour delay timer and automatic shutoff let you program this Cook's Essential's(R) 8-qt digital pressure cooker well before mealtime. Versatile in its abilities, it has a high/low pressure setting with browning, steaming, and keep-warm selections. Its innovative oval shape has a cool-touch stainless steel body for protection. DuPont's metal utensil-safe SilverStone Select coats the removable inner pot for nonstick convenience. Includes pressure cooker recipes and suggested cooking time guide.

My BD is next month so I can put it on my wish list.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #21
Gadget Gal

Sooz, if you like to cook, you'll love this thing. I do stew, chile verde, artichokes, chicken stock, even SF jam using Trader Joe's mixed frozen berries and Splenda. It's a nice piece of equipment!

You sound like me - most women would be TICKED OFF to get a "kitchen utensil" for their birthday or Christmas - me, it's what I ASK for! LOL!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #22
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori92325 View Post
Chicken Veggie soup

6 cubes chicken boullion
6 cups water
1 whole chicken
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic finely chopped

Cook the above ingedients in the pressure cooker for about 30 mins. Don't start the time until your cooker starts making noise. Remove from heat and let the steam out before opening. Remove chicken from broth and let cool enough for you to touch. pull apart the chicken and put back in broth. Season broth to taste. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.... Just taste it and see what you like. Bring to a boil w/out lid on and add frozen veggies or fresh veggies of your choice and cook till veggies are done. I like to use oriental style frozen veggies with mushrooms, green beans, broccoli and onoin, but the possibilities are endless.

Enjoy, I don't even miss the noodles, or rice and infact I think it comes out better w/out it. My boyfriend who is a meat and potatoes kinda guy even loved this recipe, the left overs don't last long.

Thanks, Lori!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Thanks, Lori!
Your welcome, I hope you like it as much as my bf and I. I make it all the time.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #24
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Henry,
Thanks for the idea on the canned soybeans. I hate al dente beans.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tim964
WOE: watching fat and calories, not carbs
Start Date: Febuary 2009
I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money to get a fancy PC like Charski has (although I'd love to have it). I'm going to start by checking e-bay for a decent priced one and give it a try. Some of these recipes sound great!
tim964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Here are some things I use my pressure cooker for:
1. cooking ribs until tender, then putting them in oven or on grill with LC BBQ sauce.
2. A whole cabbage, a pound of link sausage, a can of Rotel. QUICK dinner
3. Spaghetti squash.
4. Smoked turkey legs for the mock lentil soup or any other soup.
5. Any poultry recipe where you make stock with chicken and then debone the poultry.
6. Any kind of meat... I brown it right in the pressure cooker, then cook it in the pressure cooker.
I love my pressure cooker!
EnJOY!
Carol
Old 03-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooz View Post
I don't have a pressure cooker (for some reason they scare me!). This recipe was originally for the PC but I make it on the stove. It turns out to be about 4 grams of carbs per serving with 1 gram of fiber . I make it without the onion and use onion powder instead to season the chicken. I think that takes the carb count down a bit.

Wish I could remember where I got this recipe so I could give credit because it is really good.

Indonesian Chicken
5 Servings

8 pieces chickens (I use thighs)
2 tablespoons butter
1 sliced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Brown chicken pieces in butter with sliced onion and minced garlic. Place browned chicken and onions in pressure cooker. Add the remaining ingredients to the chicken.

Heat on high until pressure cooker top starts to rock, then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes.
This sounds yummy and looks easy, can't wait to try it. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarza View Post
3. Spaghetti squash.
[COLOR=red]Would you tell us how you do your Spaghetti squash in the PC please?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I cook my cauliflower for mock potato salad, mashed, or twice baked in my PC.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Sometimes I do my roasts in it.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarza View Post
Here are some things I use my pressure cooker for:
1. cooking ribs until tender, then putting them in oven or on grill with LC BBQ sauce.
2. A whole cabbage, a pound of link sausage, a can of Rotel. QUICK dinner
3. Spaghetti squash.
4. Smoked turkey legs for the mock lentil soup or any other soup.
5. Any poultry recipe where you make stock with chicken and then debone the poultry.
6. Any kind of meat... I brown it right in the pressure cooker, then cook it in the pressure cooker.
I love my pressure cooker!
EnJOY!
Carol
I must agree with *any* kind of meat/roast dish. You can make most things you might do in a slow cooker in a pressure cooker, with similar results. It just cooks faster.

Whole chickens are great. Roasts are great.

If I feel like saving money and doing some prep work, I can spend half a day cooking and made enough food for a months.

1st I made a great chuck roast - remove - spoon out the vegies
2nd - I take some of the left over stock and made an amazing spaghetti sauce.
3rd - I made some lc meatballs and tossed them into the sauce - pressure cooked those as well. Cleaned it up, packaged everything.
4th - Made some chili in it.

Also - I have made scalloped potatoes in it and taken it to work for a pot luck. I have steamed all kinds of vegies. I have tossed a whole chicken in to brown on all sides, added a little water and some vegies, and made the best chicken dinner.... left over is the most amazing stock for the freezer and use later.

Beans - from dry are very good as well. Curries. Risottos.

I also have the big Cooks Essentials model from QVC. It is terrific. You can have slow-cooker type of results in less than an hour. So, it is great if you did not toss something in the slow cooker that morning, you can toss something in when you get home from work and have an amazing dinner in an hour.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Oh, bumpity bump, I want all your recipes. I need to dust my PC off!

And does anybody have a PC recipe for "Swiss Steak"? LC or otherwise. It is tomato based. . .my DM had a recipe (she's been gone 27 years), I can't find it. It was my favorite meal as a child, those long long years ago. . .

I could de-carb the recipe.

I think it had catsup/ketchup, onions. Round steak.
magnamater is online now   Reply With Quote