Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #151
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I do this, too, Shirl..bake in the same bowl.. But, when I want it fancy-like, I use another container. You know, I think this could be made into a layered cake..Make
a double recipe twice for 2 layers..Cool, layer and frost. Talk about a quick dessert, huh?
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
That would look nice!
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1texas1
WOE: Low carbs and protein...
I am so going to try this aswell as the choc. topping. I am a choc. NUT.....
1texas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
I just made the cheesy bread version for toast for brekky and I was amazed at the texture, taste and how much it looked like real bread. Im certainly going to try the cake next. Thank you to all who have posted your experiments..no fancy ingredients and quick to make..thats part of the key to making this a lifestyle change.
Mallory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I was playing around with the 3 minute cake and decided to leave out the almond flour/flax, etc..It turned out pretty good:

1 egg, beaten well
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. heavy cream or half/half or CC milk
2 Tbs. cocoa
10 tsp. of sweetener of your choice (this time I added 5 packets of Splenda)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. softened butter

In a small bowl, beat egg with fork and add in the rest of the ingredients until
a smooth batter is formed.

Pour into a cup which will hold 8 ounces. You could use a coffee mug..I Pammed it..Microwave for one minute..

The carb count would depend on the sweetener. You could use Davinici syrup..I don't think it would affect the texture of the cake..But, without the sweetener, you would have .7 carb for the egg and 2 NET carbs for the cocoa powder..About 3 net carbs in all..then add the sweetener carbs.
I dont mean to sound stupid, BUT what is CC milk?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

I made this using Lite Coconut Milk (1/4c has 1 carb) and it was pretty good..
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #157

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1texas1 View Post
I dont mean to sound stupid, BUT what is CC milk?
I think it means Calorie Countdown milk which is a low carb milk product made by Hood.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthymom74
Stats: size 12/tight 6/6
WOE: lc+pilates
Start Date: Sep1 08/Dec10 08
This... Is... So... INSANELY... G...O..O..O...O..D!!!!
I honestly can't *expletive* believe just how good this is. It reminds me of the skillet brownie I used to get at Tony Romas in my pre-low-carb days. but BETTER!!
healthymom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #159

So glad you liked it..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara690
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct,2003 this time around
Carolyn,do you think if I used buttermilk instead of the cream that it would come out kind of like a red velvet cake?
Barbara690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #161

Anything that makes it "wet" will be fine, I'm sure.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Carolyn, this is so good! I tweaked it a bit and will put it up on the blog soon, giving you proper credit of course.
jacksmixedtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #163

Lauren: Tweak away my dear..
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Carolyn's Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe

Oh my, Carolyn, this was a stroke of genius on your part creating such a super treat! Shhh, I had this cake of yours for breakfast this morning with my tea. I had no whipped topping or cream, so sweetened a little plain yogurt and pretended that was it - it worked! I bet I could drizzle some chocolate (my drizzling choc recipe would work) over this and it would be even more decadent - but I don't need the extra calories right now.

Here is my tweak of your recipe (very small tweaks): The sweetness can be tweaked to own taste - I simply played a little bit with the recipe as I'm apt to do with any recipe. The little bit of coconut oil should serve as a metabolism boost. Then I also reduced the baking powder.

1 egg (forgot to beat well)
2 tbsp mild-tasting cocoa (Nestle, Toll House)
1 tbsp evap milk or cream
1 tbsp powdered erythritol
3 packets Splenda
2 tsp regular butter, melted
1 tsp coconut oil, melted (turns out this was a nice addition)
1/2 tsp baking powder (all it needed - I am sodium-conscious)

Place all ingredients in order of listing in cereal bowl and whisk well with wire whisk. Nuke 50 seconds (my microwave oven does not run as hot as some. but even so, I wanted a moist result, so undercut the 1 minute). It was a soft set - brownie-pudding-like, but definitely set and a nice moistness, fudgyness, etc. - ooooh, heavenly delight for something so simple and quick. It hit the spot this morning with a nice cup of tea.

Thank you, Carolyn! What a jewel of a recipe!
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I am going to try this SOON..I am debating to fix your version Jennifer..what are the Carbs GF?? Either this or Lauren's LC Chocolate Pie with your LC Graham Cracker Crust..Right now I am just eating as I am hungry and I am losing more weight..No LC Sweets since Easter...so I just may make this if I get a LC sweet craving..

HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Christina - here is the nutritional analysis - not overly low-carb, but then neither is Carolyn's version which is also about the identical number of carbs give or take 0.1 g - because the recipes are very close (my tweaks are very minor). This treat is so worth the extra couple of carbs and the egg and coconut oil makes it a nice, healthy "breakfast". Honestly! Carolyn was a genius coming up with this recipe.

Nutritional Analysis:

231 calories, 9.7 g protein, 18.3 g fat, 7.7 g carbs
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Left out the vanilla in the above recipe

Ooops, I can't edit my post anymore, but I did use 1/2 tsp vanilla same as Carolyn. Sorry about that! :blush:
Old 04-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another variation - Brownie Cake Pudding

I accidentally left out the baking powder this time. Oh yes, I went to make it again - saying to myself I'll only have half (I did!). Anyway this time nuking it for 50 seconds without the baking powder, it was more like a Brownie Cake Pudding with plenty of chocolate sauce. Tasty! Definitely takes care of my chocolate cravings for a while now!

Thanks again, Carolyn.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Ok...I gave it and make this...

ITS GREAT!! I think the next time I make it I will leave the Baking Powder out of it to make it more gooey...even at 45 second on my microwave it will done just right for cake...soft and moist...ate it right out of what I made it in...

TY
HUGS
Christina
mac24312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #170

Yummmy...I'm leaving out the baking powder next time, too. I just love this basic recipe that can be tweaked all over the place.

I have also made this in 2 separate ramekins..1/2 cup ones. It makes 2 little chocolate cakes. Sometimes I put in a Dove chocolate piece right before it gets done, too.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn, I think if we added some chocolate chips too (along the lines of the square of chocolate idea) - it would be sooo decadent and even more yummy!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #172

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I stopped adding the baking powder to mine because that saved a carb and I didn't notice any difference in the outcome. Below is the version that I like the best. No sugar alcohols or baking powder and it only has 3 net carbs with liquid Splenda. Jennifer, are you counting total carbs for yours or net carbs? My version does have 7 carbs before deducting the fiber. I've got a jar of coconut oil collecting dust in my pantry and I like your idea of using it in this recipe. I'll give that a try sometime.

3-MINUTE FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE #2
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons cocoa
Tiny pinch salt, optional
1 egg
1 tablespoon Da Vinci sugar free syrup, vanilla flavor
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a small microwaveable bowl microwave the butter for about 15-20 seconds on HIGH until completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and salt until smooth. Whisk in the egg until well blended then whisk in the remaining ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Cool completely or serve slightly warm.

Makes 1 serving
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 267 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 253 Calories; 23g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Has anyone tried baking this recipe yet? I don't have a microwave, and really like the simplicity of this recipe. TIA!

ETA: I may have to play with this today, haven't had any dessert type dishes in a while and chocolate is calling to me today!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Linda,

I think mine rose a little with the baking powder and was lighter in texture. I loved it warm. Skipping the baking powder, one also has to undercook it to get the brownie cake pudding-like effect with some chocolate sauce. My microwave oven is not very hot like some and at 50 seconds, I got that effect. I'll have to do it again to see if it was a fluke, but will save that repeat experiment for tomorrow or so.

That was net grams of carbohydrate. With whipping cream used instead of my evap milk - 6.6 g carbs - for my version, which is a bit different from yours. I see using liquid Splenda, you literally halve the carbs! So using part of a Splenda quick pack - 1/2 tsp or so would do the same. Cool.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I make this a lot. Use different sweetener combos according to what I have on hand, and how the mood strikes me. Rarely use the 5 pkts of Splenda tho. So I guess my carb counts also vary from time to time.
Also, I very rarely use butter. I almost always use coconut oil! I did use butter in a couple that I made a few days ago for my neighbor. I found out it was her birthday, and she wasn't gonna have a cake. I decided to make her & her DH each a little cake. I decided to use Splenda. I used 1/8th tsp of Splenda Quick Pack. I found that it took much less time to cook hers than it does mine (mine using Coconut oil). I almost over cooked the first one I made for her. Shortened the time on the second one. It took much less time than mine usually take. I later made DH & I each one using the coconut oil. Sure enough it took longer. I often cook mine for less time and get the chocolate sauce effect on the bottom, which I love. I get this even using the baking pwd. I found long ago that I only one 1/2 tsp baking pwd (or even a little less). The 1 tsp gives the cake a bite to me. (Actually "bites" my tounge. Can't really explain it any other way.) But I found I want a little in it. They never come out the same way for me. But then, I don't measure the coconut oil nor the cream. Just put some in. And of course eggs are different. I probably don't usually put in a full TBsp of cream anymore. Just pour a little in. I've even forgotten it entirely at times. It still comes out good.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbs4me
Stats: 180 restart/173/150
WOE: Atkins/NK
Marking this thread. YUM! Thanks for sharing.
lowcarbs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It turned out differently today

What an interesting recipe! I used the 1/2 tsp baking powder and did the usual cooked for 50 seconds and lo and behold, I had plenty of sauce this time!

Hubby and I enjoyed sharing it this morning.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

It comes out just a little different each time I make it. I think a lot has to do with the size of the egg (and then of course with how much butter/oil & cream I put in). But I noticed a huge difference in using the butter vs the coconut oil. (Again to, I measured the butter, and I don't the oil. Just guesstimate the oil.)
But the closest thing to a bad one that I've done is using the full tsp of baking soda. Really needs to be cut back to 1/2 tsp for me.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lowcarbs4me
Stats: 180 restart/173/150
WOE: Atkins/NK
This is a fabulous cake recipe no matter what version! YUMMY!

I wonder what it would be like without the chocolate. The chocolate is responsible for most of the carbs. What about making it with vanilla DaVinci and no chocolate? (Or maybe half the chocolate and some instant coffee powder mixed in.) Anyone try this?
lowcarbs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbs4me View Post
This is a fabulous cake recipe no matter what version! YUMMY!

I wonder what it would be like without the chocolate. The chocolate is responsible for most of the carbs. What about making it with vanilla DaVinci and no chocolate? (Or maybe half the chocolate and some instant coffee powder mixed in.) Anyone try this?
The chocolate is most of the carbs (well not really if you're using Splenda, then the Splenda is most of the carbs), but the cocoa is what takes the place of the flour. My sister has made it with peanut butter instead of chocolate, and says it's good. But it is more puddingy (new word) than cake like that way. And I don't think there is any carb savings there. If you left out the chocolate & just used DaVinci syrup or the like, then you'd have flavored scrambled egg. Coffee powder might make a "flour" sub, but I think it'd take a LOT of instant coffee to do what the cocoa does.