Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
Sourdough starter

2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 1/4 teaspoons
Bread Machine Yeast or 1 pkg Active Dry or Rapid Yeast
2 cups Lukewarm water (105° to 115° F.)

In a 2-quart or larger container, combine flour and yeast. Gradually add water to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Cover loosely; let stand in a warm place until bubbly and sour smelling, about 2 to 4 days. Transfer to a 2-quart or larger container with tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate until needed.

To keep this starter alive, stir in once-a-week, 1 tablespoon of flour and 1 tablespoon lukewarm water. Beat until smooth. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly, 12 to 24 hours. Cover tightly; refrigerate until ready for use.

To replenish the starter: For each ¾ cup (1¼ cups) of starter used, add 2/3 (1 cup) all purpose flour and 2/3 cup (1 cup) lukewarm water. Beat until smooth. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly, 12 to 24 hours. Use or cover tightly and refrigerate

Dear Husband's weight
289 start/ 248 today/ 216 goal
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Have you made this?

I was wondering how to make it low carb?
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
thats a good questions... not sure how to make it low carb...
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I suppose you could make it with vital gluten instead of regular flour. I'm not sure you could make it taste *good* though )
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
Sourdough Starters

The recipe given essentially "catches" wild yeast and bacteria from wherever it is made. This does work and I've done it a few times. I've also done more exotic original starters that involved crushed grapes, among other things. Problem is, there is just no way to know if said caught yeasties will survive very long over a period of time or what their continued performance will be. And you also don't know what kind of flavor you'll get. That's why people have been saving and nurturing their sourdough starters for generations and passing them onto family and friends. These old starters have stood the test of time. There's an international sourdough starter site that describes old starters from all over the world. Fascinating stuff. Frankly, if you're going to go to the trouble of maintaining a starter, you might as well start out with something proven. No sense reinventing the wheel.

As for making starters low carb, that's probably really tricky since the yeasties live off the starch in flour and LC ingredients have very reduced levels of starch. Some of the carbs in flours are undoubtedly digested by the bacteria, lowering the ultimate carb level of the starter, but nobody knows exactly by how much. In this sense, starter is a lot like yogurt. Only way to really know the carb content is through extensive - and expensive - chemical laboratory analysis.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
I have tried several recipes for getting my own Starter going, and was unsatisfied with any. But this one I am using now I really like. It is not as sour as the ones I started with flour and water!! Maybe they had organisms in there that shouldn't have been????
Anyway, the 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter is a keeper. And I have dried some for back up, just in case I kill this!
Bette

As far as low carb, who knows? I am sure some of the carbs are eaten by the yeasties, but who know how many?
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
I'm with you, Bette. I like the Oregon Trail starter (Carl's) and the New England starter I got from Fermented Treasures. Backup is a good idea - reminds me I need to do that!

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
I've been meaning to get a Carl's starter, but I want to cement myself into LC before I start baking again. I tried to grow my own not long ago - it was beautiful, smelled tart and delicious, got foamy and everything... but when I went to make the sponge, I got nothing. I was
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I have done some thinking on this. The starter itself should not be high carb if you consider the example of wine. One bottle of wine contains approximately 2.6 lbs of grapes. That would make the carb load 468 grams. However we know that there only remain around 30g of carbs in a bottle. Hence we know how much the beasties eat. Essentially we are left with 7 % of the original carb count.

Two problems with this. Wine ferments on average for 2 weeks. This starter takes 4 days
Second, we cannot automatically assume that the uptake of carbohydrates is the same with flour as with grapejuice.}

If I was to make this I would assume 20% of carbs remaining to be on the safe side. Additionally I would leave it close to goal or the maintenance phase.

But what to do with the starter afterwards ? I mean what is low carb that you can leaven witrh sourdough.

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Crumpets! Take a cup of the soured starter, right out of the fridge (don't feed it), sprinkle over the surface 1 teaspoon of sugar (use real sugar) and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Whisk these in thoroughly and it should start to bubble up.

If you've got crumpet rings (Or cleaned tuna cans) heat them on an oiled griddle (or non stick) and pour the batter in. Or, you can just make pancakes with it. I love making the pancakes and sprinkling them with a few blueberries and a little cinnamon.

They freeze well.

Give it a try, you and your family will love them!
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: radiowaves
Stats: 208/198/150
WOE: paleo keto
Start Date: December 2013
chickpea flour starter

i landed on this page in my attempts to find out how many carbs would be in chickpea flour starter. i've been making chikpea flour starter and using it as a flatbread (aka farinata or socca.) i am trying to find out what the heck would be the carb count of it! i don't strictly count carbs, but i limit them, and i'd like to have an idea.

anyway, i thought it might be of interest to some of you. cheers!
radiowaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I'm not sure radiowaves, but according to the Nutrition Data site, there are 43 net carbs (53-10 fiber) per cup (92 g) of chickpea flour. Or 13 net carbs (16-3 fiber) per ounce (28 g).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: radiowaves
Stats: 208/198/150
WOE: paleo keto
Start Date: December 2013
Thanks, I've got that much.

I just don't know how much the carbs are actually affected by the fermentation. I know that the starter is feeding off the starch, so it should be changing, I just don't know to what extent.
radiowaves is offline   Reply With Quote