Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Lobster Bisque?

I saved the tail shells from the lobsters we had for New Years eve.

They are sitting in the freezer.

I'm thinking this weekend I might buy just a little lobster from the store, scoop out the meat and use it with tail shells to make a low carb bisque?

Would I just simmer the tail shells to make the broth, then add cream and lobster meat for this?

Ideas, thanks!
CRosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
CRosie - the last time I made lobster bisque this is what I did:

Melt some butter over medium heat; add the shells and cook 2-3 minutes. Add some sherry and bring to a boil, cook till reduced by 1/2. Add cream, CC milk, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to med.-low and simmer 15-20 mins. till thickened. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight to blend flavors.

Next, strain the mixture into a bowl. Set aside. In a pot, melt some butter. Add the lobster meat and cook 2-3 mins. Add about some sherry, about 1/2 cup, and cook to deglaze pan and reduce by half. Add the strained milk mixture and bring to a low boil, simmer, until heated through.

This is a little more work, but the flavor was wonderful!

I've made it by just sauteeing the lobster meat in butter, adding cream/milk and salt and pepper and heating through. That is good also, but you really do get extra flavor by using the shells and letting it set.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I have also bought something called, "Better than bouillon, Lobster". They have chicken, mushroom and other flavors but I bought the lobster. I sauteed some scallops one night in olive oil and butter, then added some cream, seasoning and a teaspoon of the lobster bouillon and it was heaven!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieb43
I second the Better than Bouillon Lobster base. Just followed the recipe on the jar (used 1/2 cc milk and 1/2 half and half), omitted the flour and I added crab meat instead of the lobster. It was AWESOME!!
maggieb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mycattaz
Stats: 416////starting weight 267/todays 233 /goal 200
WOE: low carb
Start Date: September 5, 2013 Atkin's 72 Introduction
sound really good... hmmmm
mycattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieb43
I'm telling you the crab bisque I made was restaurant quality. Really that Better than Bouillon stuff is great. I love the crab bisque and I also have used the beef flavor in my Italian Vegetable soup and my Zucchini Beef soup, gave it a rich, hearty flavor. I bought the chicken base as well and will be making some chicken soup--I'm sure it will be good also.

I should be their spokesperson.
maggieb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What a coincidence! I just made lobster bisque today for the first time. I boiled the lobster shells for about 2o minutes and then strained it. I used a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat. I am sure you could use butter. I minced and cooked until softened 1 onion, 1 carrot, a red pepper, and 1 stalk of celery.Then I added 1/3 cup of white wine, the lobster stock, salt to taste (be careful here), fresh ground black pepper, and the lobster stock. Thickened it slightly with xantham gum. Added 1 1/2 cups of cream and warmed it. As we eat it, it throw as much shellfish as I want into a bowl, fill the rest with the bisque liquid, and eat. It's very tasty. We tried char lobster meat this time. I found it in walmart in the frozen food section.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I forgot to tell you that I used my stick blender on the bisque befor I added the shellfish.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
If you really want to use those shells, the classic Shrimp Bisque (just sub the Lobster shells) from Culinary school should work well, though it makes a whopping 5 quarts, so you might want to divvy up the recipe by 4 or 5 or thereabouts ... I've made some quick & dirty LC suggestions for ya (cuz nobody needs the flour).

Quote:
SHRIMP or Lobster BISQUE
Yield: 5 L

A. 225 g Butter or oil
B.
100 g Onions, brunoise [COLOR="Blue"]dice fine[/COLOR]
75 g Carrots, brunoise
500 g Shrimp [COLOR="Blue"]or lobster [/COLOR]shells or small shrimps
8 Parsley stems
pinch Thyme
C. 60 ml Brandy [COLOR="Blue"]15ml to a Tbsp so 4 Tbsp[/COLOR]
D. 120 ml White wine
E. 45 g Tomato paste
F. 225 g Flour [COLOR="Blue"]cancel [/COLOR]
G.
4.5 L Fish stock [COLOR="Blue"]water & good fish/seafood bouillon or base AND CC Milk or Light Cream, combined[/COLOR]
H. 300 ml Whipping cream
I.
Salt
White pepper
Cayenne
White wine [COLOR="Blue"]all these to taste[/COLOR]
J. 200 g Cooked shrimp [COLOR="Blue"]or lobster [/COLOR]meat cut coarsely

GARNISH SUGGESTIONS:
-Thin slice of lemon with whipped cream piped on top.
-Sprinkle with paprika and chopped parsley.
METHOD:
1. Heat A and B and sauté until shells turn red.
2. Add C and flambe.
3. Add D and reduce to almost nothing.
4. Add E and cook 2-3 minutes.
5. Add F and form blond roux.[COLOR="Blue"] cancel [/COLOR]
6. Add G 1/3 at a time and cook until vegetables are tender.
7. Add tempered H and season with I.
8. Correct consistency and seasoning. Strain through a fine china cap [COLOR="Blue"]chinois or strainer[/COLOR].
9. Reheat and add J just before service. [COLOR="Blue"]seafood in the serving bowls, pour very hot bisque over.[/COLOR]
10. Garnish.
I'd play with the quantities of fish stock, milk/cream (cut by half) and heavy or whipping cream (at least double) because the flour thickener is out (and I never much liked it anyway). I'd whisk in a little xanthan or not/Starch toward the end if it needed a bit of thickening.

I DO really like the flavours one gets from the brandy and white wine, as well as the thyme; marvelous!

Last edited by theislandgirl; 02-08-2007 at 01:06 PM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: crazyredhead
Shrimp (or Lobster or Crab) Bisque

Just thought I would add another recipe to the thread... no flour needed.

Shrimp Bisque (makes enough for about 4 hearty servings, meal size along with a salad or something like that).

Chop an onion and some carrots and sautee in butter and/or olive oil with some garlic and a little salt and pepper (could also put in some celery). Sautee shrimp (approximately 6 large per person... would also be good with lobster or crab or all three!) in the same pan and remove just before they are cooked through - don't want to overcook as you will put them back in the soup just before serving and they will cook some more then). Slice the shrimp lengthwise so you get 2 pretty halves and set aside for later (would be about 12 halves per serving). Mix approximately 1 and 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp of tomato paste (only about 4 to 5 carbs per 1 and 1/2 tbsp) into the onions and carrots along with condensed seafood stock base (I used a 1.5 oz. stock base called Glace de Fruits de Mer Gold which we found in a regular grocery store - only 4 carbs for the whole thing). As soon as you have mixed that in, pour in approximately 2 and 1/2 cups of chicken stock and 2 and 1/2 cups of light cream (or heavy), adjust with more or less stock or cream depending on how thick or thin you like your soup. Optional: Some white wine, sherry or other type of similar alcohol would be good (as others have suggested). Optional: add a bit of saffron and paprika for taste and color (the tomato paste and the seafood stock also help to give it that light pinkish, reddish bisque color). Also optional: corn (frozen or fresh), also put some cooked, cubed potato in my DH's bowl before ladling in the soup which made it a bit more hearty for him. Add back the shrimp just before serving to heat through and enjoy (hopefully ).

Last edited by crazyredhead; 04-03-2007 at 07:39 AM..
crazyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote