Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
Coeur a la Creme?

I just saw this recipe on Barefoot Contessa and thought it looked good (made LC of course) I have just never heard of this and was wondering if anyone had ever made this or something similar. Hey, you gotta love a great dessert that requires no cooking so I am definitely going to give this one a try! Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is the original NON- LC recipe:

Coeur a la Creme with Raspberry and Grand Marnier Sauce

12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
Raspberry and Grand Marnier Sauce, recipe follows
2 half-pints fresh raspberries
Place the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the beater and bowl with a rubber spatula and change the beater for the whisk attachment. With the mixer on low speed, add the heavy cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and vanilla bean seeds and beat on high speed until the mixture is very thick, like whipped cream.
Line a 7-inch sieve with cheesecloth or paper towels so the ends drape over the sides and suspend it over a bowl, making sure that there is space between the bottom of the sieve and the bottom of the bowl for the liquid to drain. Pour the cream mixture into the cheesecloth, fold the ends over the top, and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, discard the liquid, unmold the cream onto a plate, and drizzle Raspberry and Grand Marnier Sauce around the base. Serve with raspberries and extra sauce.
Raspberry and Grand Marnier Sauce:
1 half-pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
Place raspberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Pour the cooked raspberries, the jam, and orange liqueur into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until smooth. Chill.
Yield: 2 cups
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I've seen this recipe before in a magazine. It was something "special" to make for Valentine's Day.

As I recall (it was a long time ago! ), it's a classic French recipe. The cream mixture is usually molded in little heart-shaped molds, similar to ramekins, which is why it's called "Coeur de Creme." But there was something unique about the molds -- I seem to recall that they had little holes all over the bottom, so that even more liquid could drain out of the cream mixture, but I'm not positive about that. I do remember concluding that my regular ramekins wouldn't work, and I didn't feel like ordering the little heart-shaped molds that were offered for sale in the magazine.

It does sound tasty, and your version doesn't require the little heart-shaped molds.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Minnas
Stats: 28/8-10/8-10
WOE: Lost VLC/Now LC/Lower calorie through lower fat
I missed seeing Ina actually make this but her's was in a heart shape and I was wondering how she pulled that off since there was no mention of this in the recipe. I think I'll try it with just a regular seive and then if I like it I might think about investing in a special pan.

I think this would be a great thing to make in the summer when cheesecake sounds good but you don't want to turn on the oven.
Minnas is offline   Reply With Quote