Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2002, 05:59 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jefinner
WOE: HFLC
Pozole (Mexican Pork Stew)

I found a recipe for this Mexican soup that I'd had one time that was absolutely wonderful. The only bad thing is the hominy, which I will omit if I make it. Has anyone tried Pozole w/o the hominy?

BTW - Here's the recipe from Meals.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicky's Pozole

3 boneless pork chops, cut into pieces (I'm going to use a picnic roast that I've already cooked and shred it)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (I KNOW I'll use more!)
2 15oz. cans hominy, drained (OMIT)
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 3/4 cups chicken broth, divided
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cushed dried oregano
2 tablespoons flour (OMIT)

In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic until tender, but not browned.

Add pork; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Stir in hominy, tomato sauce, 1 1/2 cups broth chili powder and oregano. Omitting this step

Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until pork is tender, stir occasionally.

Combine remaining broth and flour and add to mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Also omitting this step

Spoon the Pozole into individual bowls.

Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions radishes and shredded cabbage. Sprinkel with lemon juice on top.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, what do you guys think?
Jefinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
I think that sounds wonderful. Shouldn't miss the hominy at all (I don't like it anyway!!). I'm definitely keeping this one!

Hmmmm..just wondering. If you still wanted something hominy-like in the dish, what about substituting chopped cauliflower or even turnip? Or stir in some cooked shreds of spaghetti squash before serving? Just thinking of something to fill out the recipe, since it's normally served with a veggie cooked in....Of course, with the toppings listed, you really wouldn't need it!

I think I'd stir in a little sour cream at the end, too...and maybe a sprinkle of monterrey jack cheese...YUM!!

Rats! Now I'm hungry!
SHinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ojailyn
Jennifer, you won't believe this - Someone told me to check out Pozole at one of my local restaurants. I went there today and they were all out. I opted for a BAD salad instead. Anyway, I noticed the hominy and I realized I probably couldn't of had it anyway. THANKS for posting the recipe....now I can make it myself. BTW, this restaurant included cabbage in it ...I think that's a great addition, what do you think?
ojailyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali4LC
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 4, 2002
Sounds Good!
My dd makes a great 'Pozole, she uses shredded cabbage and shredded radishes, as a garnish after its served in the bowl.
Cali4LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gonnalose
Stats: 260/252/160
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 01/01/2007
I make a mexican soup that is similar to the receipe you posted. Once in a while I do use one small can of hominy in it. I figure that I don;t get too much of it in one bowl if I make a big batch of soup. I haven't had any in a while so I can't remember how many carbs are in the hominy....but I think the white kind has less carbs than the yellow kind.
gonnalose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:41 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I've thought about using a small amount of hominy, because it looks like it's not too terribly high in carbs, and some of that is fiber. Plus, I'm ready to start Pre-Maintenance anyway, so I'll see how it affects me.

The kind of pozole I tried didn't have the cabbage or radishes on top, but the recipe said something about it, so I'm willing to try it!
Old 12-10-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Pozole with Hominy OK!

I made pozole last night for DH, and to my amazement, the Juanita's Mexican Style Hominy I used was labled as having 10 grams of carbs for 1/2C hominy, and 6 grams of fiber....resulting in only 4 grams of net carbs. I thought the can must be labeled wrong, so I checked my giant carb/fiber count book. It listed Juanita's Mexican Style Hominy about the same, 10 grams of carbs per 1/2 Cup, with 5 grams of fiber, thus net carbs of 5.
So I went ahead and enjoyed a big bowl of pozole, with the hominy (which does add great flavor). I estimate that each bowl had about 1/2 C of hominy....the rest of the ingredients were zero or very low carb..(chicken broth, garlic, pork, chile anchos). Other brands of hominy seem to be much higher in carbs.
Until I hear differently, I'm going to enJOY eating the pozole I make with Juanita's Mexican Style Hominy. It's worth 5 or 6 grams of carbs for a big steaming bowl for dinner!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:35 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Canned hominy: 1 cup
Carbohydrate, by difference g 23.529
Fiber, total dietary g 4.125

Finn: I remember having a recipe for it but it called for a roasted poblano pepper, diced Not adding much heat, but adds that riche roasted pepper taste
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 02:23 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Dottie, that does sound good!

CGarza - I can't exactly remember the brand I bought, but the stats were the same. It did add a nice flavor! DBF LOVED it! I think I'll get him to like soups! (He said he didn't like soup, but the two I've made so far have disappeared quickly, and he brags about them constantly. Thank goodness, because I LOVE soup... almost any kind.) I've decided that I'm close enough to pre-maintenance, that a little hominy wouldn't kill me, and I know I didn't even have an entire serving. Mine was mainly meat and broth with some of the cilantro, green onion and cabbage on top. YUM YUM YUM!!!