Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Jeanne, see the ....

...Sourdough Saga, Chapter 4 post for the results of the no-knead bread baked in the Le Creuset pan. I did NOT follow that recipe; I used my sourdough recipe from Chapter 3. The only thing I took from the no-knead recipe was the dutch oven baking method. Results were excellent. I'm thinking that next time I make it, I'll let the sourdough sponge ferment a full day instead of just overnight. I doubt one could simply use a combo of resistant starch, carbalose, WPI's, etc., as subs for the regular flour in that recipe. The LC ingredients just don't act the same way flour does.

Ginny
rexsreine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Ginny,

Thanks for directing me to other site. I left a response there. Great pictures!
jlshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Flours like Carbalose and the resistant wheat starch DO have starch, or course, just starch that is mostly undigestible by US--which leaves OPEN the question of whether it can be eaten by yeast critters. I believe that in the past Scott123 has asserted that it can be. (And otherwise why would low carb yeast breads that have no added sugar rise?)
Well, actually, high carb breads with no added sugar will rise as well; the sugar is added as a convenience for the "impatient" modern cook, as in rising in 1 to 2 hours instead of 2 to 4 to 8 or more hours... plus it adds browning action and tenderness.

So it's still the starches that readily break down into sugars that we're talking about as known quantities (scientific method and all that). Sourdough/Starter doesn't need any sugar either. All I'm saying is that the percentage of starch that is NOT resistant in these products (25-30% in the Resistant Wheat Starch) is available and known to be digestible by yeast. That's the only thing we can count on...