Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
I need ideas for adding cinnamon to my day...

I want to get 1 T. of cinnamon in three times a day to help with PCOS/insulin resistance. I can always take the cinnamon supplements, but I take too many vitamins now, as it is. I'm thinking of trying the cream cheese danish, and I can add it to decaf coffee, but would love some more suggestions. This morning I hacked down the strong cinnamon-coffee - didn't warm the water enough so the cinnamon wouldn't mix in well. Hope someone has some suggestions for me (BTW, I'm a horrible lowcarb baker, too many tries crying and putting my baking experiments down the disposal).
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
Try sprinkling some cinnamon on chicken before roasting it. It may sound odd, but it's yummy!
Sarmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: that1redhead
Stats: 240/203/145
Start Date: 1/8/04 restart 1/1/2014
Try making spongebob flax muffins and adding cinnamon. Not hard to make and tastes great.
that1redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Oh, and cinnamon goes really well in carbquik as a coating for fried chicken.

Try adding some cinnamon to SF hot chocolate or a chocolate protein shake. Cin and choc go so well together IMHO!

Mix it into yogurt, if you eat it.

Mix cinn and cream cheese and spread on celery.

LC bread toasted with butter and splenda with cinnamon.

Ummm ... I can't think of any others right now, but I love cinnamon!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
I put it in my yogurt and on my lc bread with some fiberfit dripped on it....
bybs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, I never thought about these. I just logged back on to say I thought of doing cinnamon pecans. I would have never dreamed of using cinnamon in a savory dish, but I bet it's wonderful! WOW! Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. My husband's twin is diabetic, and we just checked my DH's sugar a few weeks back, and his is in the high 120s fasting. I heard cinnamon can drastically cut your blood sugar down, so we want to get it in three times a week and he is not very happy with having to eat fairly lowcarb for the rest of his life. Anyway, thanks so much, and keep the ideas coming!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmay View Post
Try sprinkling some cinnamon on chicken before roasting it. It may sound odd, but it's yummy!
I'll have to try this! Hey, I'm up for anything!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1redhead View Post
Try making spongebob flax muffins and adding cinnamon. Not hard to make and tastes great.

I'll have to find that recipe! Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Jeska
Stats: 246/212.5/180
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: January 8, 2007
This is now my morning pre-work out staple:

1 cup fat free plain all natural yogurt (no sugar added and you can use any level of fat you want)

1/8 cup almonds

1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

1 Packet Swiss Miss Diet sugarfree hot cocoa mix

just stir it up and enjoy!
Jeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
My husband's twin is diabetic, and we just checked my DH's sugar a few weeks back, and his is in the high 120s fasting. I heard cinnamon can drastically cut your blood sugar down, so we want to get it in three times a week and he is not very happy with having to eat fairly lowcarb for the rest of his life.
I'm technically IR (with PCOS) or "pre-diabetic", but I'm fairly certain that what has kept me from going over the edge is that I use cinnamon in EVERYTHING. In fact, so far, grapefruit and grapes are the only things I haven't tried using it with.

When my dad was diagnosed diabetic (type 2) my mom started using it, and I fell in love. It's funny how dad's hba1ac started going down when she started using cinnamon. I know it's not a cure, but it sure seemed to help!

Incidentally, DH, a type 2 diabetic, monitors his BS very closely. Over the holidays, on the days after he had a lot of cinnamon from my baking, his BS was much more stable.

[COLOR=red]Mini-goal: Activity points every day!
Short-term goal: 265 lbs - my 10%[/COLOR] * achieved!
[COLOR=Red]New short-term goal: 50 lbs gone[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Long-term goal: Get healthy and stay healthy! [/COLOR]
Total pounds lost (WW) [COLOR=Lime]32.4[/COLOR]!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I take a NOW Cinnamon Bark Capsule twice a day.

Last edited by Kevinpa; 01-22-2007 at 01:39 PM..
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
i sprinkle at least a teaspoon of it on my smaps cereal. it tastes really good that way..hth
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]My DH & I found we like cinnamon in omlets or scrambled eggs.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
try it in all your chili recipes too....makes hot dog chili even yummier
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mindy5936
Stats: 229.6/228.6/170
WOE: ABS DIET
Start Date: 7/11/14
This is my new favorite rub,

Equal parts cinnamon, garlic powder, and brown sugar twin.

This is good on pork, beef, and poultry.

Baste the meat with a little diet soda while its cooking. I know it sounds odd but it is awesome.
Mindy5936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LoveMyGSDs
Stats: original:240/150/150 (24/6/8) current: 194/178/150
WOE: Atkins (1999 version-total carbs)
Start Date: original: 9/12/2001 current: 1/2/2007
Just a thought, but you might want to do some research (google search) on whether heating the cinnamon will detract from it's properties.

I feed my dogs a raw diet and include a few supplements. I know that I can't mix hot water with their food because it lessens the potency of the supplements.
LoveMyGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by razberry View Post
This morning I hacked down the strong cinnamon-coffee - didn't warm the water enough so the cinnamon wouldn't mix in well.
Cinnamon isn't soluable, so it will never dissolve in your coffee, no matter how hot the water. I sprinkle about a tablespoonful of cinnamon right on top of the dry coffee grounds when I set up my coffeemaker in the morning.

However, I'm not adding the cinnamon for health reasons. I just use it because I happen to like cinnamon-flavored coffee! I'm not sure whether you would get the full benefit from the spice by using my method.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 AM   #18
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I make a flax pancake everyday for breakfast with cinnamon in it. I have also made omelettes with cream cheese, cinnamon and splenday. Yummmm!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post
Cinnamon isn't soluable, so it will never dissolve in your coffee, no matter how hot the water. I sprinkle about a tablespoonful of cinnamon right on top of the dry coffee grounds when I set up my coffeemaker in the morning.

However, I'm not adding the cinnamon for health reasons. I just use it because I happen to like cinnamon-flavored coffee! I'm not sure whether you would get the full benefit from the spice by using my method.
A cinnamon stick in your coffee cup will pretty much last all day and make great tasting cinnamon coffee.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 AM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Jeska
Stats: 246/212.5/180
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: January 8, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmay View Post
Cin and choc go so well together IMHO!
I agree!!
I love that combination, too~

The Mayans knew what they were doing!
Jeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #21
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
I mix some cottage cheese with some davinci syrup. Then I sprinkle it with 1 tsp. cinnamon and top with some chopped nuts. It makes a great breakfast or a dessert later in the day.
gotogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
I take a NOW Cinnamon Bark Capsule twice a day.
I just bought some last night!! We started with one with supper, and had one with lunch. I'm going to do a little trial with DH this weekend and see how it effects his sugar levels. Thanks so much for the reply, Kevin my recipe hero!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff View Post
I make a flax pancake everyday for breakfast with cinnamon in it. I have also made omelettes with cream cheese, cinnamon and splenday. Yummmm!

Those sound so good! Would you mind sharing your flax pancake recipe? I'm pretty rushed in the morning since I commute, but I'd love to make some up and freeze them. Just nuke in the mornings and go!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal View Post

Thanks for the information! I guess I'll quit trying to mix it in! Maybe I shouldn't have used a whole teaspoon at once - a bit much I think!!!! I wonder if cinnamon oil would provide the same benefit, or if the cinnamon bark is actually what's needed. I'll have to try and find out. Thanks for the great info!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGlaze View Post
Just a thought, but you might want to do some research (google search) on whether heating the cinnamon will detract from it's properties.

I feed my dogs a raw diet and include a few supplements. I know that I can't mix hot water with their food because it lessens the potency of the supplements.

I never thought of that! I guess I need to google it. Thanks so much!
I feed my little dog a fish oil capsule and a Glucosamine/joint supplement about twice a week (h had ACL surgery over the summer) - but I never put them in heatded food, thank goodness. Good to know another dog lover.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy5936 View Post
This is my new favorite rub,

Equal parts cinnamon, garlic powder, and brown sugar twin.

This is good on pork, beef, and poultry.

Baste the meat with a little diet soda while its cooking. I know it sounds odd but it is awesome.

Oh, that tastes wonderful. A coworker from India brought a chicken/rice dish to a work party one day that was very spicy but wonderful. I thought for a second that I tasted cinnamon, but just never imagined. Thought maybe cloves or something. I'll have to try this with some pork chops I bought the other day. I bet it would be wonderful. Thanks for the idea!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stella4
Stats: 190/175/140
WOE: Naturopathic Diet
Start Date: January 10, 2007
Here's a sweet treat:

Yummy Spiced Apples

I sliced apple
3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
1 tsp lime juice
as much cinnamon as desired

place apple slices on a cookie sheet and drizzle with lime juice, top with ricotta cheese and cinnamon. bake at 350 until the apples are soft.

yummo.
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

I thought I'd share this information I found online: Haven't found out anything about heating, but it does say that the oils in the cinnamon seem to be what is most beneficial, so I guess I could mix a little cinnamon oil into some coffee. I'll keep looking.

CINNAMON Go back to the food list

Cinnamon has a long history both as a spice and as a medicine. It is the brown bark of the cinnamon tree, which is available in its dried tubular form known as a quill or as ground powder. The two varieties of cinnamon, Chinese and Ceylon, have similar flavor, however the cinnamon from Ceylon is slightly sweeter, more refined and more difficult to find in local markets. Cinnamon’s unique healing abilities come from three basic types of components in the essential oils found in its bark. These oils contain active components called cinnamaldehyde, cinnamyl acetate, and cinnamyl alcohol, plus a wide range of other volatile substances.

Anti-Clotting Actions Cinnamaldehyde (also called cinnamic aldehyde) has been well-researched for its effects on blood platelets. The cinnaldehyde in cinnamon helps prevent unwanted clumping of blood platelets. (The way it accomplishes this health-protective act is by inhibiting the release of an inflammatory fatty acid called arachidonic acid from platelet membranes and reducing the formation of an inflammatory messaging molecule called thromboxane A2.) Cinnamon's ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes also puts it in the category of an “anti-inflammatory” food that can be helpful in lessening inflammation.
Anti-Microbial Activity Cinnamon’s essential oils also qualify it as an “anti-microbial” food, and cinnamon has been studied for its ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi, including the commonly problematic yeast Candida. In laboratory tests, growth of yeasts that were resistant to the commonly used anti-fungal medication fluconazole was often (though not always) stopped by cinnamon extracts.
Blood Sugar Control Cinnamon may significantly help people with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin, thus normalizing their blood sugar levels. Both test tube and animal studies have shown that compounds in cinnamon not only stimulate insulin receptors, but also inhibit an enzyme that inactivates them, thus significantly increasing cells’ ability to use glucose. 1 gram per day (approximately ¼ to ½ teaspoon), produces an approximately 20% drop in blood sugar; cholesterol and triglycerides were lowered as well. When daily cinnamon is stopped, blood sugar levels will begin to increase. Some scientists had been concerned about potentially toxic effects of regularly consuming cinnamon. New research shows that the potentially toxic compounds in cinnamon bark are found primarily in the lipid (fat) soluble fractions and are present only at very low levels in water soluble cinnamon extracts, which are the ones with the insulin-enhancing compounds. Research on cinnamon shows that by enhancing insulin signaling, cinnamon can prevent insulin resistance.
Cinnamon is a powerful an antioxidant When compared to six other antioxidant spices (anise, ginger, licorice, mint, nutmeg and vanilla) and the chemical food preservatives (BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole), BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene), and propyl gallate), cinnamon prevented oxidation more effectively than all the other spices (except mint) and the chemical antioxidants.
Cinnamon's Scent Boosts Brain Function Not only does consuming cinnamon improve the body’s ability to utilize blood sugar, but just smelling the wonderful odor of this sweet spice boosts brain activity!
Calcium and Fiber Improve Colon Health and Protect Against Heart Disease In addition to its unique essential oils, cinnamon is an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese and a very good source of dietary fiber, iron and calcium. The combination of calcium and fiber in cinnamon is important and can be helpful for the prevention of several different conditions. Both calcium and fiber can bind to bile salts and help remove them from the body. By removing bile, fiber helps to prevent the damage that certain bile salts can cause to colon cells, thereby reducing the risk of colon cancer. In addition, when bile is removed by fiber, the body must break down cholesterol in order to make new bile. This process can help to lower high cholesterol levels, which can be helpful in preventing atherosclerosis and heart disease. For sufferers of irritable bowel syndrome, the fiber in cinnamon may also provide relief from constipation or diarrhea.
A Traditional Warming Remedy In addition to the active components in its essential oils and its nutrient composition, cinnamon has also been valued in energy-based medical systems, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, for its warming qualities. In these traditions, cinnamon has been used to provide relief when faced with the onset of a cold or flu, especially when mixed in a tea with some fresh ginger.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Here's some extra information I found. It seems that the cinnamon oil isn't really what I'd want to take after all. This identifies the actual component that is beneficial, and also says that heat does not destroy the benefits. That's great to know!

Cinnamon to Control Blood Sugar and Blood Fats?
students, conducted the only human
study yet reported. Thirty adults with
type 2 diabetes – all of whom took
oral hypoglycemic medicines
but were not on insulin
therapy – were randomly
selected to eat one to six
grams a day of ground
cinnamon, taken in capsules
after meals, for 40 days.
Thirty other matched
volunteers received placebo
capsules. The study was
conducted in Pakistan. In the
men and women who received
cinnamon, fasting blood
sugars went down by 18 to 29
percent and blood fats were
lowered. Total cholesterol
was decreased by 12 to 26
percent, LDL or “bad
cholesterol” went down by 7
to 27 percent and triglyceride
levels fell by 23 to 30 percent.
Ground table cinnamon is
made from cinnamon bark. It
contains both water-soluble
and fat-soluble compounds.
The natural components in
cinnamon that seem responsible for
the sugar-lowering effect are watersoluble
polyphenolic polymers.
These polymers also have
antioxidant effects. They are not
present in cinnamon oil, which is
largely fat-soluble. The active
components are not destroyed by
heat.
Anderson recommends adding
ground cinnamon directly to orange
juice, toast, cereal, coffee before
brewing, salads, meats and other
foods. He also recommends adding
it to tea, letting the ground
cinnamon solids settle to the bottom
before drinking. If a clear tea is
desired, soak cinnamon sticks in the
tea instead of using ground
cinnamon.
What are potential side effects,
if any, from eating 1/2 teaspoon
cinnamon daily for a long time? Do
different types of cinnamon have
the same effect? More evidence
from large clinical studies is needed
to answer these and other questions
about how effective cinnamon is in
reducing insulin resistance and
improving blood sugar and blood
fat levels.
References: 1. USDA Beltsville Agricultural
Research Center report, Cinnamon, glucose
tolerance and diabetes, at
www.ba.ars.usda.gov/research/cinnamon.html
(accessed 01/28/05) 2. Khan, A., et al.
Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people
with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003;
26:3215-3218.

Last edited by razberry; 01-23-2007 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #30
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
Flax Pancake

2 eggs
2T flaxmeal
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 packet of splenda (I usually leave it out)

Mix well and let stand for a minute or two to thicken. Then cook in a 10' frypan. Makes one big pancake. Top with sf syrup.

I also mix cinnamon and splenda into cottage cheese along with some chopped pecans. Yummy!
mamagiff is offline   Reply With Quote