Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   what are cheese chips? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/471169-what-cheese-chips.html)

brandi140lbs 01-20-2007 03:28 PM

what are cheese chips?

i saw someone eating those today on the "saturday what are you eating" thread. and was just wondering what they were? one day i saw pepperoni chips and didn't know what they were, but thought of taking slices of pepp. and microwaving them. omg! they come out hard and crunchy. so i use them to dip some sour cream. and, use turkey pepperoni. very low in calorie and only 0 carb.

SweeSwee1224 01-20-2007 03:39 PM

OMG those are sooo simple. Matter of fact I'm making them right now. Just take 1 inch cubes of whatever cheese you like and bake them in the oven or toastor oven until they are just turning brown on the edges. I recommend using wax paper.

toogood 01-20-2007 03:40 PM

I have one of those sandwich maker things. Just sprinkle some shredded cheddar and close the lid. They come out lightly browned and crunchy when cooled.

dcarlee 01-20-2007 03:42 PM

I microwave mine. I tear a slice of Kraft deli deluxe cheese into 4ths and place on freezer paper - the shiney side and microwave - you gotta watch it and see how long oyu microwave takes. when it starts turning brown I take it out, let it cool a few secs and pull it off the paper.

SweeSwee1224 01-20-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toogood (Post 8031900)
I have one of those sandwich maker things. Just sprinkle some shredded cheddar and close the lid. They come out lightly browned and crunchy when cooled.

Don't you love them! Today is my first time ever making them and OMG.:cool:

DEBI IN OHIO 01-20-2007 04:09 PM

calories from cheese can add up VERY quickly this way

brandi140lbs 01-20-2007 04:31 PM

thanks. i made some of that in the toaster oven, but called it burnt cheese. and i think i used too much cheese. i'm going to try them in the oven and the microwave and let them cool. thx again.

regandy 01-20-2007 04:58 PM

Linda Sue has a recipe for these complete with pictures. She advises folding the cheese and breaking it into about 16 pieces; use parchment paper; and microwave. I don't have her link but there are others here who might. I'm not sure if there is one on this recipe board or not... I just like Linda Sue's pictures that she provides of every recipe.

Found it:
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

Ntombi 01-20-2007 05:05 PM

If you do a search in the recipe help section, you'll see a bunch of threads where we discuss the different ways we like to make them.

I like them, and also, they aren't as high calorie (if you count calories) as the actual cheese, because a lot of the oil cooks out.

SweeSwee1224 01-20-2007 05:41 PM

Tell me about it, I patted mine down with paper towels.

toogood 01-20-2007 05:45 PM

Don't you love them! Today is my first time ever making them and OMG.

Yes! They are great because I actually make omelets and eggs in them. Just another uncessary gadget!

brandi140lbs 01-20-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regandy (Post 8032208)
Linda Sue has a recipe for these complete with pictures. She advises folding the cheese and breaking it into about 16 pieces; use parchment paper; and microwave. I don't have her link but there are others here who might. I'm not sure if there is one on this recipe board or not... I just like Linda Sue's pictures that she provides of every recipe.

Found it:
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

thanks, ALOT!!!

winnyis 01-20-2007 07:08 PM

I make turkey pepperoni chips in the microwave - love them

Sweetlady66 01-20-2007 08:17 PM

i take a cheese stick and cut it up and put it in the microwave for a minute, its good!

carbkinky 01-20-2007 08:19 PM

I make parmesan chips in my silicone muffin pan. They are the best! I use shredded parmesan. (Sams club). I like to use a thin layer of parmesan and nuke 'em for 1 min 15sec. DH who is not a lowcarber loves 'em too. I have made them with fresh shredded sharp cheddar and they are good. But I adore the parmesan. They come out nice and round, neat and tidy, like chips!

marieze 01-20-2007 09:17 PM

Whenever I need a salt fix, this is what I make!

Marieze

polarbear 01-20-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandi150lbs (Post 8032097)
thanks. i made some of that in the toaster oven, but called it burnt cheese.

:hyst:

AlmondBear 01-21-2007 12:30 AM

:rofl: WoW at this thread..... cheese chips huh... i'm not really understanding why the cheese doesn't melt..... I love cheese bt i'm staying away from it durning induction...

ixtapacheryl 01-21-2007 06:55 AM

I use the cheese that comes in the bags - already shredded. I put a circle of the cheese on paper and microwave. They come out like wafers with holes..... Delicious. I haven't tried the white cheese - only the cheddar. You could probably get real inventive and experiment with other cheeses.

I also like the pepperoni - but they tend to be real salty and hot when microwaved.

Have you tried the hot peppers cut in half - deseeded and filled with cream cheese and bacon - then broil. OMG they are also delicious.

Mary McD 01-22-2007 10:49 AM

You can do pepperoni AND cheese together, but first dry the pepperoni or you'll have a greasy mess. It's kinda like pizza topping - I think some people on this board have added pizza sauce to the mix sometimes too.

Starwing925 01-22-2007 01:39 PM

I like fresh grated parmesian with a few chopped pecans mixed in. I sprinkle the top with paprika and nuke them for 1 minute, flip them over and nuke them for an additional 30 seconds. I like weird stuff, but they are really good! The only thing I have a problem with is the salt content in parmesian so be careful!

LisaWV 01-22-2007 01:42 PM

LindaSue (my recipe heroine!) has a recipe for a mock-cheese nip kinda thing. You take a slice of delux cheese and cut it into 8 mini squares and microwave them on parchment paper. Tastes just like a cheese it! I love 'em! :love:

kristina 07-13-2013 11:50 AM

*BUMPING* just cause I had never seen this before, and it sounds :yummy:

mojave 07-13-2013 01:07 PM

I just made some today. I don't have a microwave so I sprinkle shredded mexican blend cheese in a non stick pan and heat it slowly. I sprinkle some wheat bran on top for added fiber and crunch and also some homemade taco seasoning. I turn the disc of cheese over and cook some more. It works best with a small amount of cheese. You want lacey, not thick. I make a circle about 5". It's easier to flip it over.Then I blot off most of the oil and cut into chips. I finish them off in the oven to get them nice and crispy. I have a tabletop Breville oven and it crisps them up very fast. You need to watch it or you will have burned cheese .They are very filling and satisfy the dorito craving.

Dee

kristina 07-14-2013 11:35 AM

:yahoo:

thanks for another suggestion.

I tried pepperoni chips yesterday too. one in the microwave (didn't like) and the other in a fry pan. They turned nice and crispy.