Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Measuring "flours" help

I usually try to weigh my Carbalose, Resistant Starches, etc. but most of the recipes seem to use cup, tablespoon measurements. It's pretty humid where I live & I'm having problems with the dough ending up very sticky when I use the amount of liquids called for (usually bread recipes). Then I end up having to add more of the "flours" which usually completely changes the original recipe outcome. I've been lightly spooning the flours into the measuring cups then level off with knife. Do most of you "scoop" then level off? I think I must be measuring wrong or something Thanks so much for any help, kathy
bassetmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
When I measure dry I scoop a heaping measure then tap the side once with a knife to make sure it is settled and then level it off the top with the edge of the knife.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Kevin, thanks so much for posting-it was actually the simple white bread I had the problem -it turned out like a batter bread when I made it. I tried your way and the Carbquik weighed 50g per 1/2 cup, my way it weighed 40g, and I think at one time that Tova said 45g per 1/2 cup. I can see that if I had this difference with all the dry ingredients it would really add up & no wonder I had a problem. Thanks again, I'll use your method for your recipes from now on. I was really about to give up trying any more bread type recipes. kathy
Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
Bassetmom,
I weigh everything. I've found even diff meas cups measure differently.

When I made the Carbquik bread, I used
140 grams Carbquik
33 grams WPI 8000
78 grams WPI 5000
16 grams resistant wheat starch

It turned out very good. I have weights for the Carbalose (our preference) bread too if you decide you want it.
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

jackiba, Thanks so much for the weights. When I looked back through my notes I had tried the Carbalose version which for me turned out like a batter bread-good taste, but not the right texture like Kevin's pictures. I used:
55g WPI 8000
100g Carbalose
55g WPI 5000
37g RWS 70
I'd really appreciate if you could post what you used. BTW I've made your roll recipe (at least 3 times so far) & we really like them. Thanks for all the help kathy
Old 01-21-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

For the Carbalose, it's not way off--

same 100 grams Carbalose
70 grams WPI 8000 (here's the main difference)
59 grams WPI 5000
32 grams resistant wheat starch

You mentioned high humidity, you might need to cut back a little on the liquid (you can always add more if the dough feels dry when kneading). This one is a staple at our house.

It freezes well--I slice it, freeze the slices then take out what I want the night before and it's nice and soft the next morning (not still and dried out like frozen high carb bread always seemed to be).
Old 01-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
the cinnamon bread, minus the sweets and cinnamon makes great hamburger buns. they come out beautiful, light almost like the real deal.. just wish i could get rid of the slight off taste.
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Bella, did you include some splenda when you made the buns? I generally add splenda/sweetzfree to all my breads/buns (sometimes quite alot)--it doesn't end up tasting sweet but I think it does help offset that flavor.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

jackie, Thanks so much. I'll give these a try. Sorry to be a pest, but how did you get these weights? I was thinking I'd "scoop & level" like Kevin does, then weigh the ingredients for his recipes. Just wondering if that's how you did it. Thanks again, kathy
Old 01-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I agree with Jackie. I have been finding out that 1 to 2 T. equivilent of splenda negates that taste and at the same time does not make the dough sweet.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
hi guys, thats a good idea to add splenda to the mixture. i was only adding a very small amount, concerned the bread would be too sweet. i am getting ready to make crackers and buns again, i will def be trying more splenda. thanks very much...
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Bassetmom,
I tried measuring in 3 diff meas cups and they all came out differently and none were the same as the manufacturer's specs, I was just loosely filling and leveling off which is how I did high carb flours. This is one reason I prefer weighing--the cup you use and how you fill it makes a difference. I finally just picked the one that "felt" most right and went with it --I have been making with LC buns/rolls for awhile now. I figured if it didn't turn out right--well it wouldn't be the first bread I messed up. Since I liked the way it turned out, I can just use the same weights every time now with confidence.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

jackie, I'm totally with you on weighing ingredients. I've made your recipes where you list weights and they have all turned out great. Then I've tried other recipes by "cup" measurements and in the trash they go, probably because my "cup" wasn't the same as the poster.
Thanks again for your help, kathy
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Kathy. In the past I felt bad listing just weights cause I know some people don't have scales.