Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Can anyone convert this to low carb? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/470899-can-anyone-convert-low-carb.html)

babydollsea 01-19-2007 07:22 AM

Can anyone convert this to low carb?

Nut Kolacky
64 cookies
40 minutes | 30 min prep

One of my favorite cookies of all time, these are fabulous warm from oven, but also keep well in an airtight container.

1 cup butter, at room temp
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1 egg white, beaten with
1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
Granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
Filling
1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
2. Sift in the flour and mix to make soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
6. Preheat oven to 375oF.
7. Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
8. Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with 1/4 of the filling.
9. Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
10. Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals. You can curve them into crescents if you like.
11. Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
12. Place on baking sheets and brush with egg white glaze. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
13. Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.

NOTE:
For 32 extra large butter horns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling. Continue as above but bake for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks, This is a favorite of my husband's family.

Marla
Plum, PA

Yummy's_Girl 01-19-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydollsea (Post 8025165)
Nut Kolacky
64 cookies
40 minutes | 30 min prep

One of my favorite cookies of all time, these are fabulous warm from oven, but also keep well in an airtight container.

1 cup butter, at room temp
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1 egg white, beaten with
1 tablespoon water (for glazing)
Granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
Filling
1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until soft.
2. Sift in the flour and mix to make soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 4 equal balls, flatten each one and wrap in wax paper.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl.
6. Preheat oven to 375oF.
7. Working with one disk of dough at a time, roll thinly on a lightly floured surface into a circle, about 9" in diameter.
8. Brush the surface with the egg white glaze and sprinkle the dough with 1/4 of the filling.
9. Slice the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into quarters and then each quarter into 4 equal sections, to form 16 triangles.
10. Starting from the base of each triangle, roll up to form spirals. You can curve them into crescents if you like.
11. Continue with the other 3 disks of dough.
12. Place on baking sheets and brush with egg white glaze. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
13. Bake until just golden, about 10 minutes.

NOTE:
For 32 extra large butter horns, divide the dough in half instead of fourths and roll each disk into a 12 inch circle and use half the filling. Continue as above but bake for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks, This is a favorite of my husband's family.

Marla
Plum, PA

I'm still new to converting baking recipes to low carb, but I'm starting to get the hang of it, so I'll take a stab at it. Hopefully someone else will reply though and give you more suggestions, or else maybe say if they agree with mine or not. :rofl:

My suggestions are to use splenda for the granulated sugar and diabetisweet Brown for the brown sugar. (This will give you a sweetener combination in the Diabetisweet, plus the taste of brown sugar, so this shoudl halpe cancel an aftertaste from using a single sweetener alone.

For the flour, you could try a mixture of carbalose and resistant wheat starch, to cancel out the aftertaste some people notice in the carbalose. If I recall correctly its somewhere in the area of 1 part resistant wheat starch to 3 parts carbalose. So, I'm thinking 1 and a half cups of carbalose and 1 half cup of resistant wheat starch.

I may be off here, but this is a start anyway. Maybe others can give ideas to improve on this, or just throw my suggestions out the window, all togther!

:rofl:

Bfranke 01-19-2007 07:47 AM

I just made the high carb recipe this year....for the past 3 years, I have tried to low carb it, but in the end, I am not satisfied with the taste. I did eat some regular cookies this year, but am back on track and the cookies are back off my body!!!! I just had to limit myself, then set a date that I could no longer eat them.
I will be interested in seeing and hearing about recipes and results though.
Bette

Sarmay 01-19-2007 08:04 AM

Hmmm ... those sure do sound pretty yummy. :D I might have to fiddle with them this weekend.

CarolynF 01-19-2007 04:09 PM

Tooter had this recipe..for pecan tarts which basically has the same ingredients..but in a different shape..I think the rolling is the tricky part..

Maybe Kevin's cranberry raspberry swirly things would made a good crust..
Let me check it ou.

Tooter's Mini pecan pies

2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup of almond flour
4 oz (half of an 8 oz package) of cream cheese

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Soften cheese and butter and blend well. Stir in flour. Chill 1 hour. Shape into twenty-four 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased small muffin tins. Press down to form crust.

Filling

1 egg
1/4 cup of Splenda
1/2 cup of Diabetisweet
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon Black Strap Molasses
Dash of salt
3/4 cup of chopped pecans

Beat egg, sweetner, butter, vanilla, Molasses and salt until smooth. Divide half the nuts among pastry cups. Add egg mixture. Top with remaining nuts.
Bake for 25 minutes or until Golden brown.

Loosen the mini pie's sides with a teaspoon, then scoop them out and set them aside to cool.

Enjoy!
Tooter is offline Report Post to Moderators Reply With Quote

Here's Kevin's recipe..

Cran-Raspberry Pinwheels (2 1/2 dozen @ 1 carb each)

1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup freeze dried raspberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup granular erythritol
1/4 t. splenda quick pack
1 T. not/Sugar

Combine erythritol, splenda, and not/Sugar and disolve in water in nonstick sauce pan without heat.
Add berries and simmer over med low heat until cranberries pop and entire mixture is a stiff puree.
Refridgerate to cool.

1/4 cup butter (softened)
1/8 cup granular erythritol
1/8 cup DiabetiSweet brown sugar
1 T. not/sugar
1/4 t. splenda quick pack
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
3/4 cup carbquik
1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/8 cup resistant wheat starch
1/2 teasspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

I an electric mixing bowl mix together butter, erythritol, DiabetiSweet, not/sugar, splenda quick pack, vanilla, and egg until creamy.
Add combined dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and dough is smooth.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 6 X 10 rectangle.
Spread on berry puree to within 1/2 inch of edge and roll dough jellyroll style along the long edge.

Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut roll into 1/2 inch slices and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet approx 2 inches apart.
Bake 9 to 13 mins or until edges are light golden brown.

Cool completely.

Maybe you could take Kevin's dough (and refrigerate it..very necessary for rolling out) and use some of Tooters' filling and see what happens..

mycattaz 01-26-2007 08:20 AM

bump

theislandgirl 01-26-2007 09:15 PM

Hmmmmm, I wonder what the difference is between Kolacky and Rugelach (not much from the looks of it, possibly a cultural naming thing?)...

Here's a recipe for Rugelach; the original was from Joan Hedman, writing for lowcarbluxury e-magazine at Christmas 2006. I've made some mods to it in prep for trying it out but haven't yet done so. It DOES look very similar, though, doesn't it?

Quote:

Rugelach

Makes 24

Dough
1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
3-4 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1 C AP flour (sub with 3/4 cup carbquik or carbalose & 1/8 cup wheat protein isolate 5000 & 1/8 cup resistant wheat starch)
1/2 C almond flour or ground almonds
1/4 t salt (optional)
Filling
1/4 C Splenda granular, divided (reserve 1 T for topping)
1 t cinnamon
2 T raisins, diced very fine (optional, just add more nuts)
1/4 C walnuts, diced very fine
Jam/Fruit Filling
1/4 C dried apricots, soaked in
1/4 C DaVinci SugarFree Vanilla Syrup
Topping/Glaze
1 egg yolk
1 T water