Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieb43
Beignets (french "donuts")

I found a low carb recipe for beignets (the fried square donuts [covered in powdered sugar, lol] you get at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans) on another site. Recipe calls for 1/2 "cube" of butter. Recipe is 1 egg, 1 scoop vanilla whey powder, 2 T Splenda or erythritol, 1 t vanilla and the butter--mix and drop with ice cream scoop into hot fry oil...they'll be more like fried donut holes, but...Cafe du Monde sells the package mix for these here on the Gulf Coast, but waaaay too carby of course...but I waaaant 'em!

Anyway, how much is a "cube?" Is that an international term? I'm thinking with the other ingredient amounts, 1 T?

I have had these at the Cafe du Monde and they are awesome, with a cup of cappucino...I really wanna try these...

Also, Kevinpa or any of you other stupendous cooks...got a better way to make these, you think?
maggieb43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Ok, one source says a cube is a stick, another says 2 T or 1 oz. I'm thinking with the amounts of the other ingredients for the beignet--2 T?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and as for the fry oil--recipe suggests canola. I haven't cooked with it, but an old roommate used to and I HATED the smell. What do you think would give these a good flavor?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
In MY family, a "cube" of butter always meant the STICK. Half a stick of butter = 4 tablespoons....not sure about what the OP meant on this one!

I'd fry them in either coconut oil, organic lard, or peanut oil, personally.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just looked at some online recipes for real beignets, and I'd say based on their proportions, probably a tablespoon of butter for this recipe, and even THAT might be a bit too much!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think a whole cube is a Tablespoon..so 1/2 cup would be 1/2 Tbs..

Think of a visual of a cube..which is a square..not a rectangle..so a cube would be one inch by one inch by one inch..(half of that)..LOLOL
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crink
Why not go to the "other site" and ask them what they mean by 1 cube....
Traditionally it is 1/2 cup.... 1 stick of butter from a package. I have NEVER heard it as anything else, but who knows what lurks out there......
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
ive had that recipe or a similar one, its quite good.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

1 egg
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, melted
2 tbsp Splenda or erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
Splenda & cinnamon for topping
Canola oil - basically beat egg add restnext 4 except canola oil or frying oil, heat as to fry -drop blobs in they will brown in like a minute and pull out add splenda and cinnamom----- this is atlees recipe from another site.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Griffin, I made this recipe today. OMG!! Yum! I can't wait to make these for my dh tomorrow morning. (We met in New Orleans. One of our first dates was at the Cafe du Monde for beignets and cafe au lait.) Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

your welcome, i admit i wasnt sure if it would work, its a strange mix!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
So, wait ... it IS half a stick of butter?
Sarmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
In THAT recipe (Atlee's), it is.

In my book, a "stick" is half a cup of butter or 4 oz or 1/4 of a pound package. A cube -- which is not rectangular, but square, heck it's a CUBE -- is 1/4 of a stick of butter, ergo 1 oz or 2 Tbsp.

Me, if I read the original recipe in this thread and it called for a Cube, I'd assume the 1 oz or 2 Tbsp equivalent.

ps: and the standard scoop (as in scoop of vanilla whey protein powder) is usually 60cc or approximately 1/4 C.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 01-19-2007 at 11:42 PM..
theislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Oh brother...

Y'know what? After all that...I think I DID use a full stick of butter... Guess what else? After reading your post IslandGirl, I measured out my EAS Whey Protein scoop and it was more than a 1/4 cup!! Sheesh. So probably I didn't even have the correct measurements, but hey, it tasted good to me, lol.

Ok, I'm no cook, but...I would suggest anyone trying this recipe: use a real deep fryer. I put some oil in a pan and heated it and it worked great at first but then I think the oil got TOO hot and started kind of "burning" the batter. I don't own one, but I'm thinking a real fryer will keep the temperature correct, yes?...Anyway, while the "donut" is still hot, roll it in a mixture of Splenda and cinnamon. Yum. I used a canola "blend," tasted ok but gosh I hate the smell of canola and it lingers...do you think these would taste better with the (big jug for frying--way more economical) peanut oil. Anyone?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LoveMyGSDs
Stats: original:240/150/150 (24/6/8) current: 194/178/150
WOE: Atkins (1999 version-total carbs)
Start Date: original: 9/12/2001 current: 1/2/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Think of a visual of a cube..which is a square..not a rectangle..so a cube would be one inch by one inch by one inch..(half of that)..LOLOL
I agree that a cube of butter is that, shaped like a cube. However, I'm fairly certain that it takes 2 tablespoons (1 oz) to make a cube. Therefore, you'd use 1 tablespoon in the recipe.
LoveMyGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: December 2006
Let me know how they turn out....

I haven't had beignets since we left New Orleans... I do miss them, among so many other things.... So I'd love to know if there's LC version that works... My DH would be so thrilled.
nolagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Nolagina

I tried the recipe above (Atlee's). While you can't really make them into beignet "squares," more like a fried donut hole, (and of course not as good as the real deal), they're still pretty good. The batter combination sounds weird but once fried--well, I liked 'em, lol. Give it a try.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
Well, I was going to make these, but I don't have the protein powder, so I created something different. They turned out really nicely, very much like fried donut holes, but ... more oval. Tasty, though.

1 egg
1/2 cup carbquik
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T cream
a healthy splash of DaVinci vanilla syrup, enough to make it the consistency of a runny pancake batter

I mixed the dries, added the wets and then scooped it into hot oil with a large table spoon. Fry until golden brown on both sides, drain on paper towels, and then I sprinkled them with cinnamon and splenda.

Without the extra splenda and cinnamon sprinkled on top, I get about 9 net carbs for the batch. This made 6 good sized ... uh ... thingies ... for me. Right around 1.5 net carbs each.

Very tasty!

[COLOR=red]Mini-goal: Activity points every day!
Short-term goal: 265 lbs - my 10%[/COLOR] * achieved!
[COLOR=Red]New short-term goal: 50 lbs gone[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Long-term goal: Get healthy and stay healthy! [/COLOR]
Total pounds lost (WW) [COLOR=Lime]32.4[/COLOR]!

Last edited by Sarmay; 01-21-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Sarmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieb43 View Post
Ok, I'm no cook, but...I would suggest anyone trying this recipe: use a real deep fryer. I put some oil in a pan and heated it and it worked great at first but then I think the oil got TOO hot and started kind of "burning" the batter. I don't own one, but I'm thinking a real fryer will keep the temperature correct, yes?...Anyway, while the "donut" is still hot, roll it in a mixture of Splenda and cinnamon. Yum. I used a canola "blend," tasted ok but gosh I hate the smell of canola and it lingers...do you think these would taste better with the (big jug for frying--way more economical) peanut oil. Anyone?
Try a deep frying thermometer, that's all that's needed.

And I'm with you, I dislike intensely the canola oil, won't even have it in the house anymore (too much discussion about how manufactured it is to make it edible, and it's always smelled fishy to me...). I use peanut or grapeseed oil, both with a high smokepoint.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 01-21-2007 at 01:11 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

I made these recently (the Atlee version with protein powder and no bake mix of any kind, Induction dontcha know!) and they were quite interesting and yummy! And they do brown/burn pretty darn quick if you don't manage the oil temperature (just a heads up, MaggieB43 was right ).

Anyways, I wanted to see if I could get a baked version, something more like my heritage's Poffertjes (I'm of Dutch heritage) or the Danish aebleskiver...

So I doubled the recipe, doubled the protein powder again, added some half and half until I got a fairly thick but still flowy batter, oiled the pan then baked them off (a muffin pan would work) at 400F for 10M. In future I'll turn it down to 375 or thereabouts...but they're very tasty, with either a tsp of SF jam (Danish style) or a sprinkle of sweetener and cinnamon (Dutch style).

Now I've got 6 breakfasts, cuz 2 of these work quite well for a quick breakfast or dessert!

Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
...but they're very tasty, with either a tsp of SF jam (Danish style) or a sprinkle of sweetener and cinnamon (Dutch style).

1: That is a beautiful pan!

2: I did not know about the difference between Danish style and Dutch style, that's very interesting. The Danes make a fruit spread, it's not jam or preserves, but a spread... "Fruits of the Forest" ... I wish I could remember. It was very good.
LowCarbConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I'm pretty sure that "fruits of the forest" is a mixed berry spread or compote. Yum! What I've seen as "wildberry" mix.

You know, some blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, mixed up and quickly simmered together with a bit of sweetener, and you'll have a LOVELY spread.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
I'm pretty sure that "fruits of the forest" is a mixed berry spread or compote. Yum! What I've seen as "wildberry" mix.

You know, some blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, mixed up and quickly simmered together with a bit of sweetener, and you'll have a LOVELY spread.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In Italy they call the mixed berries (forest) Frutti di Bosco. . .forgive my spelling, I'm going on memory (all good) of living in Italy (as a non Italian speaker) and loving anything with this in the name. . .
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
has anyone else tried baking these? I was thinking about trying it as I hate heating up oil and all the mess. HOw long do these keep? do you reheat them before you eat them? thanks
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendajm View Post
has anyone else tried baking these? I was thinking about trying it as I hate heating up oil and all the mess. HOw long do these keep? do you reheat them before you eat them? thanks
Um, my post #20 right here in this thread is me trying out baking these.

It worked.

I don't know how long they keep, just made them on the evening of the 11th, 1.5 days ago. They are reasonably dry, though, and should keep for the week, I'm guessing, in the fridge in a plastic bag.

I DO warm them slightly, 2 at a time, 30 secs in my 1000W microwave on a small china saucer.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
I made these tonight - following the recipe EXACTLY as written. I used a candy thermometer and let the oil get to the temp stated for donuts/fritters and that is 350 degrees. I dropped the mix into the oil and immediately it turned into one BIG blob!!!!! Oh - and BEFORE I even started I went online and got a site that has international measurements and - one cube IS equal to 1/2 cup. I just read through this thread and find that a lot of folks had success with the recipe - WHAT did I do wrong????? I think I like the idea one gal had using Carbalose or was it Carbquick - whichever - it seems that would give it the substance needed. Oh well - IF anyone can help me I'd appreciate it - I "may" try it again. Quite frankly I only made them because my husband is from Lousiana and we went to New Orleans for our honeymoon - I thought it would evoke "fond" memories. Fortunately I had a "back-up" dessert - Just in Case!!!!
Barbara Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Exactly as written kind of runs counter to all the posts, including the original, discuss how the batter should look and how different protein powder brands act differently...did you read all the posts with people's experiences? Also, with LC cooking experience, I wouldn't really call them beignets, definitely more like donut holes, but only sort of... True beignets taste requires something yeasty, I think...and these will not meet THAT expectation.

To sum up, the thinner the batter, the more likely to get strings and blobs. To thicken the batter (if using the original grain free version with protein powder instead of a bake mix), keep adding protein powder til you get a thick enough batter to actually handle with a spoon or scoop, so it kind of drops off in one big cohesive blob. About a half an ice cream scoop or roughly 2 Tbsp worth, in my experience.

Hope this helps.