Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Carbquick as thickening agent? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/468196-carbquick-thickening-agent.html)

TexasKitKat 01-06-2007 09:37 AM

Carbquick as thickening agent?

I have a ton of carbquik here and am wondering if it can be used to thicken gravies, alfredo sauce, etc. like regular flour? I don't have carbalose so please don't suggest that instead. I just want to know about the cq. Thanks!

That Girl 01-06-2007 12:51 PM

i just used carbquik to thicken my cream chipped beef recipe. i made a roux out of it and it worked great.

scott123 01-07-2007 03:34 PM

Carbquik is pretty much just carbalose + fat + baking powder

When making a roux, just use more carbquik and less butter. For a traditional 2 T. flour/2 T. butter roux... I would use something in the vicinity of

3 T. carbquik
1 T + 2 t. butter

Charski 01-08-2007 09:21 AM

Yep, I use it all the time and it works fine, and as already suggested, I make a roux first, brown it to your liking and then add the liquid.

TexasKitKat 01-08-2007 09:27 PM

Cool....thanks! :shake:

SkeeterN 11-26-2013 02:01 PM

I might use this, to thicken my gravy this year. Tired of trying so many things with questionable results in the past. I have tried xanthum gum (yuck and slime) Guar gum same results. Both with horrible flavor.

Could maybe use glucomannan but only have capsules so I have no idea who many I would need to open and can you taste it like you can the gums.

Mistizoom 11-26-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16697725)
I might use this, to thicken my gravy this year. Tired of trying so many things with questionable results in the past. I have tried xanthum gum (yuck and slime) Guar gum same results. Both with horrible flavor.

Could maybe use glucomannan but only have capsules so I have no idea who many I would need to open and can you taste it like you can the gums.

I don't know about the experiences with the older posts in this thread, but I have not found that CarbQuick significantly contributes to thickening gravies and sauces. I'm pretty much using glucomannan exclusively now, sometimes with a pinch of xanthan gum. Can you open the capsules and dump out the powder? If so try 1/4 tsp. per cup of liquid to start. If not, how much does each capsule contain? I could measure out the glucomannan powder for you and figure out how much it weighs.

SkeeterN 11-26-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16698072)
I don't know about the experiences with the older posts in this thread, but I have not found that CarbQuick significantly contributes to thickening gravies and sauces. I'm pretty much using glucomannan exclusively now, sometimes with a pinch of xanthan gum. Can you open the capsules and dump out the powder? If so try 1/4 tsp. per cup of liquid to start. If not, how much does each capsule contain? I could measure out the glucomannan powder for you and figure out how much it weighs.

saw in another post I bumped someone had great success with glucomannan and Oat flour. Do you think this would be a better deal? One capsule is 1/4 tsp.

Mistizoom 11-26-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16698091)
saw in another post I bumped someone had great success with glucomannan and Oat flour. Do you think this would be a better deal? One capsule is 1/4 tsp.

I saw that post too and was thinking of trying the oat flour if I need a roux. But I have had very good luck with just glucomannan so far, so I'm not sure it would be worth the extra carbs for me. I've successfully thickened sausage (cream) gravy, turkey (broth) gravy and Asian Zinger wing sauce (various ingredients) with just glucomannan. I find it gets thicker after heating, so start with a small amount and add more only if it isn't as thick as you want when heated.

SkeeterN 11-26-2013 07:29 PM

So the turkey broth do I bring it to a boil then add the gluc or add it cold then heat it? Do you sprinkle it slowly over the top like xanthum and wisk?

Mistizoom 11-26-2013 07:34 PM

It's pretty forgiving, I didn't have real turkey juices this weekend, so I melted about a tablespoon or two of butter, added two cups of turkey broth (made with Better than Bouillon base), heated and added 1/2 tsp. gluc. I just whisked it in. Boil, adjust seasonings.

SkeeterN 11-27-2013 04:39 AM

Sounds great. Thank you

Barbo 11-29-2013 12:51 PM

Thickeners

If anyone here can use potato starch or gluten free oat flour,
they make a wonderful roux and can be great gravies.:)
I am so over using those slim fibers for thickening.

SkeeterN 11-29-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16700315)
If anyone here can use potato starch or gluten free oat flour,
they make a wonderful roux and can be great gravies.:)
I am so over using those slim fibers for thickening.

I used Gluc and was so sorry. YUCK! Didn't thicken and felt like slime when eating it. I will just try maybe the oat flour next year. OH how upset I was.

Mistizoom 11-29-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16700434)
I used Gluc and was so sorry. YUCK! Didn't thicken and felt like slime when eating it. I will just try maybe the oat flour next year. OH how upset I was.

Sorry the gluc didn't work for you. We had a yummy turkey gravy thickened with it. It wasn't slimy for me. I guess it is a YMMV thing.

SkeeterN 11-30-2013 05:29 AM

Seriously wanted it too. All I have is capsules so not sure if this is why it didn't work. I put 1/2 tsp in the broth but was thinking as we were eating it that I didn't like the feeling on the back of my throat. So I just threw it all out plus it never thickened the broth at all.