Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Buffalo Chicken Dip goes Main Course (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/467212-buffalo-chicken-dip-goes-main-course.html)

LeighDear 01-02-2007 04:57 AM

Buffalo Chicken Dip goes Main Course

Here's the original recipe, and it's awsome....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=459004

I adapted it to a main dish by cutting down the dip ingredients, pouring the sauce over sauteed chicken and baking it. It came out GREAT! Here's the adapted recipe:

8 Boneless, skinless Chicken breasts (or use thighs, or both)
1 Tbs. Vegetable oil
3 OZ Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 C. Ranch Dressing
1/4 C. Frank's Hot Sauce
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

Season chicken with Seasoned Salt, or salt & pepper. Sautee in oil til browned. Place in greased 13 X 9 Baking dish.
Beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer til very smooth, then beat in Ranch Dressing and Hot sauce. (This is the only way to avoid small lumps of cream cheese) Stir in shredded cheese, and spread over chicken in baking dish. Bake at 350 for approx. 20-25 minutes. (I turned on my broiler for a few minutes to get the top brown.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/bufchick.jpg

Yummy's_Girl 01-02-2007 05:31 AM

This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Davian 01-02-2007 05:37 AM

We were just talking about making this! What excellent timing. If you have not had this dish, it's awesome!!!!

LeighDear 01-02-2007 05:42 AM

It really turned out tasty...I used 4 B/S thighs and 4 B/S breasts.....

My DBF loves the dip but kept saying "Can't you put a LOT more chicken in it"?.....So I figured instead of putting chicken IN the dip, I'd put the dip ON the chicken!....*LOL*

mamagiff 01-02-2007 06:25 AM

Great idea!

CarolynF 01-02-2007 07:35 AM

I think I'll make this tonight..College son is home and will love it..

Hint to make cream cheese smooth: Microwave it a bit, then stir it before you
add it to the Ranch dressing and the hot sauce..

Thanks, Leigh

Nigel 01-02-2007 11:28 PM

thank leigh, love the idea, gonna make some tomorrow

24Fan 01-03-2007 06:47 AM

Mmm that sounds good. Making chicken tonight and will try this recipe. Thanks for posting!

CarolynF 01-03-2007 07:39 AM

I made this last night and the boys loved it..Brett put more hot sauce on his chicken..

I tweaked it a bit. I added a couple of plops of sour cream to the mix. After I cooked my chicken in the pan, I put a bit of chicken broth to catch the drippings, then added the sauce and cooked it a bit until it was all mixed up and poured it over the chicken in the casserole dish, then baked it..

Great flavor..Thanks.

tyler43836 01-03-2007 07:45 AM

I also made this yesterday. Very good. I'll up the hot sauce next time though...I really like spicy!

LeighDear 01-03-2007 10:25 AM

I'm so glad y'all are enjoying!.....I'm sure it was only a matter of time before somebody came up with it....*LOL*

Your tweaks sound great, Carolyn!....I'm gonna try those next time!

CarolynF 01-03-2007 12:36 PM

Leigh: Well, I liked it because it was a bit more saucey and would have some more of the chicken flavor from the pan..

The beauty of this dish is that you can make it milder and serve the hot sauce on the side so everyone is happy!!!

24Fan 01-03-2007 12:51 PM

Yum, smells delish! Cooking it now.

Had to tweak out of necessity: I only had dry ranch dressing mix and didnt' use the cheese cuz I just dont eat much cheese. I used about a tablsp of dry ranch and about 1/4 cup mayo with about same water to the mix.

Ok just took it out of oven, it's really good, Leigh, even w/o the cheese. I looove hot sauce so this recipe is great for me.

eta: and um I used my finger to lick the bowl clean in my sample. It's that good. :)

LeighDear 01-03-2007 12:59 PM

I've actually mixed a couple of TBS. Franks Hot Sauce with an equal amount of ranch dressing and used it to dip chicken tenders in...

Something about the combination of Hot Sauce & Ranch is just *MAGIC*!!

becksterinindy 01-03-2007 08:29 PM

Your recipe sounds great and I paln to try it sometime but I just want to say I LOVE your avatar:D

Indigo-65 01-03-2007 09:08 PM

Sound and look good.This is a keeper!

gina7657 01-04-2007 05:32 AM

omg made this last night my family loved it :up: :up: :up:

mmorris 01-05-2007 01:10 PM

:notwrthy:
Oh my!!!! That dish was AWESOME..
I did subsitute Frank's Hot Sauce for his Buffalo Sauce.. and added a jar of drained articokes to the recipe... OMG!! it is delic!!! Thanks for the post

Sooz 01-09-2007 10:41 AM

FABULOUS DISH!

LeighDear - My family started back on our L/C WOL yesterday and this was first the meal we had. We are 3 generations of L/C'ers in one house (115 lbs to lose for the group) with all different tastes but we all agreed - this dish is a keeper!

The only "little" change I made besides doubling the recipe for the 5 of us for dinner (and lunch leftovers) was to throw in a bag of frozen broccoli florets before I spread the sauce over.

Thanks for converting it to Main Dish. Can't wait for lunch today!

aunatural 01-09-2007 11:45 AM

I have to chime in and say this is an awesome recipe!:up: I made it for dinner last night and had some for lunch today. I enjoyed every last bite. I upped the hot sauce to about 1/2 cup and used about 1/2 hot sauce and 1/2 Ken's hot wing marinade. Scrumptious!

Sarmay 01-09-2007 12:03 PM

This sounds awesome! I think I'll have to try making it this weekend. One question, though ... Someone said you could leave the hot sauce out and serve it on the side ... does it turn out the same, or do I need to sub extra liquid for it? Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE spicy, but DH can't stand it. LoL

24Fan 01-09-2007 12:55 PM

Sarmay, I'll venture a guess that it's ok to cut back on the hot sauce and/or put on the side. I think the cream cheese/ranch dressing makes it saucy. I would probably add a few drops just to get the spice flavor though.

I can say that cuz I used only a little bit of hot sauce when i made it, only because the bottle was nearly empty :)

Made it twice now, 2nd time with more hot sauce :)

Sooz 01-09-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarmay (Post 7972616)
One question, though ... Someone said you could leave the hot sauce out and serve it on the side ... does it turn out the same, or do I need to sub extra liquid for it?

Sarmay - I found the sauce to be really thick until I added the hot sauce. Not sure how it would turn out! I thought I should have added more hot sauce until everyone started eating. The amount called out in the recipe was perfect for my family but if they wanted it spicier, I kept the bottle out for them to add more.

BuckeyeLori 01-09-2007 01:35 PM

I made the "dip" version last night, and loved it! Have been eating it with a spoon. Am eager to make the main course version, too. YUM! Thanks!

Sarmay 01-09-2007 01:41 PM

Thanks, guys ... I'll probably just go ahead and add some of it. If DH doesn't like it, I can just save the leftovers for me! :D I'll just be sure to have something else on hand for him. Thanks again!

Pompom2 01-10-2007 08:31 AM

I made a version of this the other night. I used 3 chicken breasts and halved the recipe but used the full 1/4 cup of Franks Red Hot Sauce. It was perfect.

qwertyui 01-11-2007 06:20 PM

I made this tonight! I loved it and will definitely make it again. I didn't have any ranch dressing, so I just used sour cream, and put some herbs in it, and it came out great. I had broccoli with it, and gave DH some rice on the side. He said it was okay - I thought it was great!

LeighDear 01-11-2007 11:42 PM

ANOTHER twist to this recipe....

I had a bowl of Chicken salad that I made up and had in the fridge......My VERY basic recipe:

Diced Chicken, chopped celery, Minced onion, Mayo, fresh dill, some lemon juice and a dash of dry Ranch dressing as seasoning....I transformed my cold
chicken salad into:

HOT Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad......

I softened about 2 ounces of cream cheese in a bowl in my microwave, PER CAROLYN!.....Added my approx. 2 cups Chicken salad, about 1/3 cup Franks Hot sauce, 2 TBS Dry Ranch dressing mix, 1/4 C. sliced almonds, and about 1/2 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese...

I mixed it all up & put into a greased 8 X 8 Baking dish......Baked it for about 25 minutes at 350....It was an AWSOME combination of the dip and the main course.....You can actually eat it with a spoon.....or a fork.......

The celery from the chicken salad adds a nice crunch...not TOO much, since it gets baked.....throwing the sliced almonds in gets a SERIOUS delicious crispy thing going......Crank up the broiler for the last couple of minutes of baking

While I was eating this tonight, I was actually thinking of going Mexican with it.....adding a can of chopped green chiles, and using Monterey Jack chese....

24Fan 01-12-2007 03:31 AM

Leigh, that sounds so good too. I'll have to try that! thanks :)

Bluqq 01-12-2007 03:39 AM

tried this and we all loved it!
Thanks so much leigh!