Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
Left over Prime Rib Bones

I have three lovely, meaty bones left over from xmas prime rib. I cut the main part of the roast away from them and kept them separate in the freezer.

I am thinking of roasting them a bit more in the oven and then making some spaghetti sauce.... at least making some stock to freeze.

Anyone have any suggestions?
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
I think using them to make beef stock is a great idea! Depending on how much stock you want, or to intensify the flavor, you might buy some additional beef bones from your butcher (he/she might even give them to you for free.) Just roast them in the oven along with the others and toss them all in the stock pot together. I save all the bones I have left over from beef steaks, beef roasts, etc., and use them this way. I think homemade stock, both chicken and beef, is far superior to anything you can buy in the stores.
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
I usually just put some l/c bbq sauce on them and heat them up for a tasty treat.
hdyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
OMG...prime rib bones are the BEST when roasted on the grill! DH and I used to eat them a LOT in our strict LC days and could usually find them pretty cheap by asking the butcher to save them for us. Because of the quantity of fat, you will have to place a foil covered pan under them on top of the coals. That way, when the fat drips off, it smokes instead of flames. I would cut them apart into individual ribs, score the backs in a criss-cross pattern to help the fat melt, sprinkle with garlic salt and seasoned pepper and then just roast away. Fabulous!!!!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I tried making stock out of my leftover prime rib -- I simmered it in a pot about 3-4 hours with onions, carrots, celery and thyme and it made a very, very mild broth. I ate it anyway because I've read that there's a lot of really good things in homemade broth, but I had to add lots of salt and pepper to make it edible! Maybe you could try just scraping the meat off the bones and mixing it with cheese and hard-boiled egg to make a spread or dip instead.
oliveoyl is offline   Reply With Quote