Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Suggestions needed

I'm going to my parents for Christmas Eve and was asked to bring dessert. They know we eat LC and it's easy for them to get a veggie and meat/cheese tray but sweet is much harder.
I seem to only be able to think in terms of chocolate and cheesecake. My dad doesn't like really sweet or heavy dessert. I bake a lot and have almost every ingredient used here - looking for a easy to moderate dessert that's good for a party and not overly sweet.

Any suggestions? TIA
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Davian - I posted a gingerbread cake a little while back that is very good. I'll see if I can find it and bump it up for you.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-23-2006 at 12:12 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sosumi
Stats: 276.5/ in progress /150
WOE: Atkins '72
Here is a great lemon icebox pie. I make it with an all almond meal crust. Instead of CC milk, I use 1/2 water & 1/2 heavy cream. Easy, and tangy. You could also put meringue on top!

original thread:
Easy Lemon Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joallen View Post
I have gotten so much recipe info and help on this board that I wanted to share my tweaked version of this recipe with you. First, I should say that I was starting out to emulate an old favorite of my husband's, “Lemon Ice Box Pie.” For those of you who've never had it, it's VERY tart; at least as tart as Keylime Pie. So beware, this is lemony.

Someone had posted the crust recipe as a sub for graham cracker crust. I ran out of almond meal and subbed CQ for the remainder of the portion. The crust was a tiny bit salty, but with the filling in it, it was great. It sliced and served like REAL crust! The next time I make it, I will reduce the salt by half.

Crust:
¾ cup flax meal
¾ cup almond meal (I actually used about ½ & ½ almond and Carb Quik)
¼ tsp salt (next time try 1/8)
6 TBS butter
1/3 cup splenda

Pat into 9” pan. Bake at 375 for 7 min (I checked mine freq. but left in about 12 min total; til the edges and center started to brown nicely. There was a ring along the outer, bottom that didn’t brown as much; but apparently it was enough. It firmed up a lot as it cooled.)

Filling:
1 – 4 serving Instant SF Jello Lemon Gelatin
1 cup boiling water
6 oz. Cream Cheese
1 – 4 serving Instant SF Jello Lemon Pudding
1 ½ cups of 2% CC Milk
2 TBS Lemon Juice

Soften cream cheese in micro. Dissolve gelatin in 1 c. boiling water. Blend in cream cheese and stir ‘til smooth. In sep bowl make lemon pudding with 1 ½ c. milk. Whisk til smooth. Blend 2 bowls together. Stir in 2 TBS of lemon juice and pour into cooled crust. Will have extra filling but you won’t mind eating it with a spoon! Mmm…

By my calculations (which is just taking the info off of the boxes) 1/8 of filling = 111 cal and 4.3 carbs. The original crust recipe (without the CQ substitution) said 1/8 of crust was 3 carbs. This recipe is definitely worth 7 carbs per slice. We served it to non-LC guests who loved it and asked for the recipe. A definite summer dessert at our house...
sosumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Anything with whipped cream would probably qualify as light and not too sweet.

If you've got a Kitchenaid, a mousse is pretty easy and light. Raspberry might be good.

A semi-freddo might be nice. Eggs and cream whipped and frozen with crushed pralines. Food network has a recipe. Sf toffee will work for the pralines.

Custard is light/not that difficult. Flan is pretty tasty stuff

I would probably make brownies and just omit some sweetener. I know, it's chocolate and kind of heavy, but they're really good and easy.

Last edited by scott123; 12-23-2006 at 12:22 PM..
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Hmmmm all sounds so good! I'm going to copy the Lemon Ice Box Pie - that would be excellent at my DD's summer birthday party. I decided to make a Gingerbread Bundt cake and because Scott twisted my arm.....I decided to make the ******ic Brownies. I'm almost tempted to make cheesecake dip as the frosting for 1/2 the brownies and keep the other half plain.
Off to cook/bake..........
Merry Christmas to all! Thank you again!
Davian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I just pulled this recipe out of the oven:

Chocolate Hazelnut Flourless Cake

If it tastes as good as the batter did, or half as good as it smells, it will be wonderful! Not overly sweet from the tasting I did.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote