Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: BlueBrooke
Ideas for Alfredo Sauce

My Sweetie's birthday is the 28th and for his birthday dinner he wants fettucine alfredo. He's already told me he doesn't want to do a resturant dinner because my alfredo sauce is rocks!

Anyway, I have no problem whipping this up for him, but the pasta is, of course, out.

What else (besides spaghetti squash) can I put my serving of alfredo sauce on? I'm thinking maybe cauliflower?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by BlueBrooke; 12-22-2006 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: We don't have Dreamfields available locally, and getting it by mail order, it's too expensive to experiment with right now.
BlueBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieb43
Dreamfields Linguine

I don't know where you live, but I'm in Florida and Publix supermarkets sells it. I've seen others on this board write that they can buy it at Super Walmart (I used to find it there for cheap, but no more). Anyway, it tastes great.
maggieb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
You know what I would do is to make your alfredo sauce and serve it over
a sauteed boneless chicken breast with some sauteed mushrooms on the side.

Have a nice green salad and a nice green veggie..like asparagus with buttered almonds or broccoli.

Personally, I would rather have a nice sauce over something that is complimentary to the sauce..like chicken breast..

Please print your alfredo recipe..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maggieb43
Oops

Sorry, re-read that post and see you don't want pasta (although for a lot of people the Dreamfield's doesn't stall them, and it is good).

I had something like what Carolyn suggested at a restaurant called French Quarter Grill--well, it was penne pasta with chunks of marinated chicken, sundried tomatoes, broccoli, I think and an alfredo sauce. To die for. Ok, that's it, I'm makin' something like this for dinner, lol. (My dh loves anything alfredo, too. Actually, he makes a better sauce than I do, lol, maybe I'll have him cook tonite, lol.)
maggieb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gweny70
Stats: 366 HW/Restart 306/216/145
WOE: General Low Carb
I agree with putting your sauce over a meat. I have dipped chicken breast in egg and then coated with almond flour..fried up a little to brown and then baked in the oven with alfredo sauce over it. YUM. Served w/a side of your choice.

Also have done the same with Talapia....with and without the almond flour. Ruby Tuesday's makes something similar..Broiled Talapia with some alfredo sauce & a few grilled shrimp on top. YUMMMMM! I usually have broccoli on the side! GREAT DISH!
gweny70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hdyhouse
Stats: 335/211/195
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2003
I make my Alfredo sauce and put Shiritaki in it and serve that as a side dish with a plain grilled meat.
hdyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I like making alfredo sauce and putting it over chicken too. If you decide to do the chicken, you can make it more special by pounding a breast out thin and then filling it with ham and swiss cheese. Then after you bake it, top it with the alfredo sauce. I have also filled the chicken breast with broccoli and cream cheese and then dunked it in egg and then lc bread crumbs and baked it for something really different, but very tasty. And alfredo sauce on top.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks to everyone -- the chicken idea is great. Now I can't wait for the birthday dinner.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Please print your alfredo recipe..
Hi, Carolyn --

I'm glad I went back over all the posts, 'cause I almost forgot this. This is so simple, I'm embarrassed -- but here it is.

Warm one cup of heavy cream over low heat in a heavy sauce pan. If you want it *really* rich you can add a stick of butter, but it's fine without. Grate one wedge of parmesan cheese (I don't know how much these weigh -- 3 oz I think -- and the "canned" cheese won't work. You must grate it). Add the cheese to the cream slowly, in three or four batches, waiting until the cheese is completely melted and stirred in before adding more cheese (keeps sauce from breaking).

That's it. Doesn't need salt because the cheese is so salty. A nice grind of pepper is yummy though. And I really like to put a pinch of taragon in it.

Great, now I'm drooling.

Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I make a VERY simple alfredo by putting some (I'm a never measure cook) cream in a microwaveable bowl, throw in some fresh already grated (like digiorno) cheese, add pepper and nuke for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. In one minute I have alfredo for broccoli and anything else!

marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:27 PM   #11
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
I'm a shrimp-aholic. I'd eat shrimp every day. I love to saute shrimp, baby spinach and chopped tomatoes in some garlic and butter, then top with Alfredo sauce.
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carbkinky
Stats: 138/159/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2004 rollercoaster
I like to use canned french style green beans, rinsed and drained, as a nice sub for pasta.
carbkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:36 AM   #13
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
I like to serve it over zuchinni strips.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote