Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Xcali
Stats: 203/132/128 (140 was original goal) * 5'8" * 41 *
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/28/2000 **Recently changed goal wt. to 128 lbs.
Bacon Grease Storage

Hi all..

Just wondering, what is the safest way to store bacon grease? I know my mom used to put it in a used coffee tin and keep it in the cupboard. Is this safe? Wouldn't putting it in the fridge be better?

I never used to save it, but I've found I love a little bacon drippings with my green beans and cabbage, so I'd like to start saving it.

TIA
Xcali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
My mom used to do this, too..It's amazing we all lived through that..

Keep it in a glass jar in the fridge with a lid..or a Cool whip container..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
My mom used to do this, too..It's amazing we all lived through that..

Keep it in a glass jar in the fridge with a lid..or a Cool whip container..
Thanks Carolyn .. that's what I did, put it in mason jar in the fridge. When I asked my mom about the safety of keeping it in a cupboard she said "Well, I been doing it for almost 65 years, and I'm not dead yet, so it must be fine".

That's my mom, don't fix it if its not broke. She also has a favorite cast iron fry pan that has never seen soap . She says soap ruins cast iron, she just wipes it out after each use with damp paper towels. Once I found this out years ago, I would never eat anything she made in that pan. Again, she said it hasn't killed her, so it must be perfectly fine.
"Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away." - Tom Clancy[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]"The best diet is the one you're not on"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"] Kickin' The Last 10 To The Curb Challenge 01/08/07[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]140 139 138 137 136 135 134 133 [COLOR="Magenta"]132[/COLOR] 131 130 129 [COLOR="red"] 128 [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yamialee140
Stats: 167/161.5/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: may 03-preg., restart Nov 06-preg., 1/25/09
I keep a jar in the freezer. When I need a little I just take it out and scrape out what I need
yamialee140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My Mom did the same with the bacon grease and we're all still here to talk about it! LOL! I suspect there's enough salt in it to keep it from spoiling for a very long time. I do, however, keep mine in the fridge.

I don't put soap in my cast iron either. It takes the "nonstick" off it and you have to reseason it. I do wash it in the sink with very hot water and a nylon scrubber though, then put it on the burner for a few minutes and wipe some coconut oil in it with a paper towel. This was DH's mother's cast iron skillet and it has been going strong for many many years with the same treatment!

I also get it VERY VERY hot before cooking in it so if there was anything skulking around in there, it would be long gone before the food ever hits the pan.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zuleikaa
Just wiping a well seasoned cast iron pan out after using is fine and is the recommended procedure, it's how it builds its "seasoning". Next is using just water with a scrub pad, drying it right out and wiping with a paper towel with grease. Never use soap.

Never store cast iron in a moist environment.

Last edited by Zuleikaa; 12-20-2006 at 10:28 AM..
Zuleikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well.. I guess you all have proved my mom right about the cast iron pan!!

Seems strange to me to not wash a pan, but I understand the reasons. I don't own any cast iron pans, are they worth the cost? Good sales right now everywhere on cookware, perhaps I should invest in a few good ones.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
I noticed that Wal-Mart carries some already seasoned cast iron skillets. I don't know how well they're seasoned but yes, cast iron is worth the money.

All mine are hand-me-downs as well. A well-seasoned cast iron skillet (in my opinion) is worth its weight in gold. Not only will you use it for the rest of your life but also the person who you choose to pass it on to when you don’t need it anymore will treasure it.

My grandmother used a lot of cast iron (2 skillets and 2 stew pots of different sizes) and when she passed away my mom already had a set of her own so she gave them to me. I think of my Grandma every time I use one.

Editing to add: I keep my bacon grease in a jar in the frig too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
Well.. I guess you all have proved my mom right about the cast iron pan!!

Seems strange to me to not wash a pan, but I understand the reasons. I don't own any cast iron pans, are they worth the cost? Good sales right now everywhere on cookware, perhaps I should invest in a few good ones.

Last edited by BettyR; 12-20-2006 at 12:21 PM..
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

How does one "season" a cast iron skillet? I'm now really interested in get a few .. great sales on Calphalon going on.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
My mom says that the best way to season a cast iron skillet is to rub it down with lard and throw it in the fire when you burn your trash. (We live out in the country) After the fire goes out and the pan is cool enough to handle, you take it in the house and scrub it down with very hot water and a scouring pad to get it as clean as possible.

Then the next time you burn trash you do the same thing all over again, you keep doing this until you have a finish on your pan that’s as smooth and shiny as glass. I can cook beans in my stew pots and the finish is just as glassy after as it was before.

Of course I know you don’t burn your trash in Chicago but you could get the same affect with a BBQ grill and a pile of charcoal. I’ve read that you can season them in an oven but I really don’t know how you would get the same intense heat for an extended period of time that way. And the trick to a really well seasoned pan is repeated treatments. You want to build layer after layer of burned fat onto the surface on the pan.

Good luck,
Betty
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here's a link:

http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2001030_se...-iron-pan.html

That's pretty much how I did my new "preseasoned" pan - I only use coconut oil, for the same reason they site Crisco - it doesn't turn rancid. I also store the pans in the drawer beneath the oven so they stay dry, and with a paper towel between pans.

A friend of my Mom's gave me a Dutch oven that was horribly nasty inside - I put it upside down in my self-cleaning oven and ran it through a clean cycle - came out like brand-new, I reseasoned it and it's perfect now!

I LOVE cast iron - you can get it screaming hot and sear meats and stuff pronto!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks Betty and Charski!!

I've got to go do some last minute shopping tonight .. and I'm going to get myself a really good cast iron skillet. I saw a 5 qt. one with a cover a few days ago that I know I'd get a ton of use from.

Again, thanks for the all info and advise .. proves that moms usually are right
Old 12-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Cast iron cookware is wonderful! When well seasoned, it's easily as good as teflon. Maybe even better. I began collecting a set of it a few years ago, and prefer it to just about anything else now. I have bought a few of the pre-seasoned pans, and they've been fine right from the start. Still, it's a good idea to cook fatty foods, such a bacon, the first few times you use them.

The instructions I have for seasoning the pans is to coat them lightly inside and out with Crisco, place them upside down on a cookie sheet, and bake them in a 325 degree (F) oven for an hour. The cookie sheet catches the excess oil that runs off, keeping your oven clean. The instructions cautioned against using any kind of liquid oil, because the pan would be sticky. Having no Crisco on hand (and being too dumb to think of the coconut oil!), I did use vegetable oil on my first pan and had to scrub it down with boiling water and start over from stratch. It was a horrible, sticky mess! The instructions also specified never to use soap, because, not only would it remove the seasoning, but the taste would be absorbed by the iron, giving a soapy taste to everything you cooked in the pan. Acidic foods, such as anything containing tomatoes, will also tend to remove the seasoning.

I love cast iron cookware!
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Cast iron rocks. I have an indoor set and an outdoor set for the propane burner out back for fish.
Post menopausal women and all men should give blood if they eat a lot of food cooked out of cast iron. It really ups their iron levels.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Well now I understand why my cast iron skillet sticks everything I've tried to cook--I wash it with dishwashing soap. I now only use it for cornbread. Maybe I'll try reseasoning it and see what happens.

I've always stored bacon grease under my kitchen cabinet and I'm 51 yrs old and still alive. My grandmother did the same and lived to a ripe old age. I see no reason to change now.

Last edited by jackieba; 12-21-2006 at 08:57 AM..
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HSAP_Mama
Stats: 400/369/175
WOE: LC
Start Date: REstarted January 1st 2007
I couldn't live without my cast iron pan!! Makes eggs perfectly (I hate it when the yolks aren't runny). I could of saved hundreds in frying pans over the years had I gotten one in the first place. I literally threw all my pans out except a little copper one when I figured out my cast iron pan Love it!

As for bacon grease, I just keep mine in a jar on the fridge door. I hardly ever make bacon anymore (just the chicken and turkey kind) so I have no idea how old it is, lol!!
HSAP_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
Bacon grease keeps well at room temperature. Bacteria has no water to live on, and, being saturated, it cannot oxidize (read: go rancid) like vegetable oils do.

My mom used to preserve meat covering it in bacon fat back in the days when she only had a tiny fridge. She never had a problem with this method.
gpisabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 AM   #18
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: BlueBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali View Post
Well.. I guess you all have proved my mom right about the cast iron pan!! Seems strange to me to not wash a pan, but I understand the reasons.
I understand where you are coming from. I have a big problem using cookware that hasn't been washed!

Quote:
I don't own any cast iron pans, are they worth the cost? Good sales right now everywhere on cookware, perhaps I should invest in a few good ones.
I have lots of cast iron, but I don't use it. I guess it's because of the humidity here, but it doesn't seem to matter what I do, it's rusty. So for me, it's not worth the trouble.

I will say, though, that I had a small skillet that I used to make my eggs in and it was pretty nice and didn't stick. But I was using it almost every day, so I guess that's why it didn't rust.
BlueBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:08 AM   #19
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: BlueBrooke
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSAP_Mama View Post
I couldn't live without my cast iron pan!!
Part of the reason, I think, my pans rust is because they don't get used often enough in this humidity. But I never know what's "okay" to cook in them and what isn't. For instance, you aren't supposed to cook things with tomatoes in them? I don't know -- I can't keep it straight. I know you can fry chicken in them, but I don't fry that much chicken!
BlueBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #20
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I ended up buying two Calphalon skillets. One small one and one huge 5 qt. one with a cover. I haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. Work has been absolutely insane this past week, everyone wanting their holiday wine and gift baskets .. ugg .. being in retail at the holidays stinks!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FilterChef
Here is a great website which has tons of great Bacon Grease recipes!
FilterChef Recipes
FilterChef is offline   Reply With Quote