Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Espresso Bark (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/465181-espresso-bark.html)

Zib 12-19-2006 10:50 AM

Espresso Bark

Just made this to take to family Christmas for the LC'ers and the prediabetic crowd in my family.

12 ounces extra-dark or sugar-free chocolate
1 T shortening or coconut oil
3/4 cup whole coffee beans

Break up the chocolate and melt with the coconut oil in the microwave. I usually do 2 minutes at 50% power, checking regularly. Stir to melt the last bits of chocolate. Stir in the coffee beans.

Have ready a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Pour chocolate mixture into pan and spread out. Chill in fridge or freezer til firm and then break up into pieces.

The original recipe I found called for chunking up about 1-1/2 ounces of white chocolate and pressing these chunks into the spread out bark to give it s ome texture and interest. Not a fan of while chocolate (regular or sf), so I skipped this step.

CarolynF 12-19-2006 01:10 PM

Zib: I love coffee..but I guess I have never tasted whole coffee beans in a chocolate bar..Must be crunchy, huh???

Charski 12-19-2006 02:53 PM

Chocolate-covered espresso beans are REALLY good, Carolyn, so I imagine this is equally delicious and easier to make! And yup, crunchy, but not hard once they mellow out!

magnamater 12-19-2006 03:33 PM

I might have to give this a whirl, especially since I have some white chocolate, and some really good dark stuff, and coffee beans.

Add this to my to do list!!!!!!!!!! Oh, yeah!

Zib 12-19-2006 04:10 PM

Carolyn, as Charski says - crunchy, but not hard. :D

CarolynF 12-19-2006 04:47 PM

Okay..I might try this with unsweetened chocolate/splenda/coconut oil rather than using the sugar free chocolate bars..and see what happens..I have lots of
coffee beans..

Can you use decaf? LOLOL.

theislandgirl 12-19-2006 05:30 PM

Long as it's TASTY coffee, you can use decaf...dark roast or espresso roast works best. I like to break them up and then mix in some cocoa/cacao nibs, too.

Delicious.

Kevinpa 12-21-2006 05:50 AM

I didn't have any good expresso bean around the house but still wanted to make some of this up to have around for the holidays so I used:

5 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 oz cocoa butter
12 drops sweetzfree
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup cacao nibs

Yum! :up:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...npa1/cpb35.jpg

CreekWatcher 12-21-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7886413)
Okay..I might try this with unsweetened chocolate/splenda/coconut oil rather than using the sugar free chocolate bars..and see what happens..I have lots of
coffee beans..

Can you use decaf? LOLOL.

Carolyn, I'd suggest you include Erythritol or something similar, or with this kind of thing you might not get a real sweetening effect at all.

Kevinpa 12-22-2006 07:52 PM

This has become my new favorite snacking chocolate.:D

magnamater 12-23-2006 04:47 AM

I made with good coffee beans and the white chocolate, and man. . .what a treat. . .dunno, maybe too rich? Naw, just eat a tiny bit. What a change for me, I use ta could have downed the batch! Now licking the spoon makes me almost over sated.

Davian 12-23-2006 12:03 PM

Can you use flavored coffee beans? I've got tons of them.....

magnamater 12-23-2006 12:20 PM

Theislandgirl, Jude, suggests any coffee been would work. . .so why not!!!

This is really major yummy!

The crunch is so great!

Davian 12-23-2006 04:05 PM

I just made these - Yummy!!

I used:

12 oz Hershey's Baking Chocolate
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 pinches of salt

6 Tbsp Splenda
6 Tbsp Erythritol
3 Tbsp Diabetisweet
2 Tbsp Brown Diabetisweet

3/4 cup Toasted Coconut Creme Decaf whole beans

Melt chocolate with oil - mix well then add salt. Let cool. Add the sweeteners and mix well. Fold in the coffee beans. Spread on parchment and refrigerate.
The grainy appearance of the sweeteners goes away once chocolate solidifies.