Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
bourbon balls

My favorite Christmastime treat was bourbon balls but it calls for vanilla wafers and lots of powdered sugar--anyone come up with a good LC bourbon ball recipe?
jackieba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bfranke
Stats: 177.5/139.5/117.5
WOE: Modified Atkins/Exercise
Start Date: 12/26/05
You might try Kevins vanilla wafer recipe in this thread, and just use regular splenda, maybe less? I just don't make them any more!!

Attn Tweakers - Vanilla Wafer Cake
Bette
Bfranke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: daisymae
I wonder if you could use Almond Flour in place of the crushed vanilla wafers ??
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
My favorite Christmastime treat was bourbon balls but it calls for vanilla wafers and lots of powdered sugar--anyone come up with a good LC bourbon ball recipe?

Jackie, here's a recipe I got from Charski. I've not tried it. Maybe you can do some tweaking.

From Low Carb Wire

Low carb chocolate rum balls recipe

Posted by Luis F. Escalante on December 20 in Low-carb Recipes

Add a little kick to your treats this holiday season with this recipe!

* 1 cup almond flour (best without the skins, in this case)
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder
* 2 T butter, softened to room temperature
* 2 T powdered erythritol, xylitol, or other sugar alcohol*
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 T rum, brandy, whiskey, etc - vary according to taste
* Artificial sweetener to taste - about 1/2 cup of sweetening power

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl.

2. Add vanilla and liquor. If the artificial sweetener is liquid and concentrated, add it to the liquor. Since there are different liquid sweeteners of different concentrations, you may have to play with the total amount of liquid, and cut down on the liquor, or add water. Usually the total liquid you want is about 2.5-3 T. Add the liquid slowly and mix until it all comes together.

3. Roll into balls.

The flavors will mellow over the next few days. Store in refrigerator or cool place.

Carbs depend on serving size. 17 balls will get you exactly 1 gram of effective carbohydrate per ball, plus a tad over a gram of alcohol and 1.5 grams of fiber.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

thanks Pam. I never thought of using almond flour.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
* 1 cup almond flour (best without the skins, in this case)
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder
* 2 T butter, softened to room temperature
* 2 T powdered erythritol, xylitol, or other sugar alcohol*
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 T rum, brandy, whiskey, etc - vary according to taste
* Artificial sweetener to taste - about 1/2 cup of sweetening power

1. Mix all dry ingredients together in bowl.

2. Add vanilla and liquor. If the artificial sweetener is liquid and concentrated, add it to the liquor. Since there are different liquid sweeteners of different concentrations, you may have to play with the total amount of liquid, and cut down on the liquor, or add water. Usually the total liquid you want is about 2.5-3 T. Add the liquid slowly and mix until it all comes together.

3. Roll into balls.

The flavors will mellow over the next few days. Store in refrigerator or cool place.

Carbs depend on serving size. 17 balls will get you exactly 1 gram of effective carbohydrate per ball, plus a tad over a gram of alcohol and 1.5 grams of fiber.
I tried making these today, but I am really confused on the directions.
2 Tbs of erythritol PLUS another 1/2 cup of sweetener or taste? I can tell you it certainly isn't just the 2 Tbs of E, because blech! So I am guessing one should continue to add more sweetener. I did try that using some Splenda and sweet one ... there are in the refrigerator now so we will see what happens.
I rolled them in powdered maltitol powder for a more attractive look. I figured that little bit of maltitol won't hurt.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I made these, double recipe, and if they improve with age, they are TROUBLE! Very good. I whirred a little more cocoa and E. in my mini food processor and rolled em in the powder. Because I wanted to make sure they didn't stick to gether, as I made a double batch.

Anyway, this works. I used 12 drops sweetzfree, couple of dashes of liquid saccharine and a little powdered stevia for a double batch. Plenty sweet, and I have a major sweet tooth!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

You rolled them in E and cocoa with no cooling effect/minty taste? I thought about doing that with my powdered E but was afraid of the "effect". I don't have any maltitol and it's too expensive no more than I would use it.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The coating was very fine, I whirred it in the mini food processor. . .and was half cocoa. . .if you are afraid of the cooling effect you could use some pourable splenda.

But I noticed NO cooling/minty taste. These are not very sweet the way I made them, just dandy for me, kind of a dark chocolate experience (considering it's just cocoa).

I didn't mention that I made them RUM balls, and I'm thinking whisky balls are next, double batch, maybe made with ground pecan meal. Because I'm adventuresome. Maybe I'll roll these in Dutch Cocoa for Hot Chocolate--the kind in envelope. . .for a different look, so I can tell 'em apart. Maybe.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Exposing my complete lack of knowledge again, I have to ask: is pourable Splenda the same thing as granular Splenda, the kind you can buy in the big "baker's bags" at the supermarket? (I feel like such a dolt compared to everyone else here! )
Kisal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, that's the stuff, Kisal.

I see you are new here. . .most of us have been living/cooking this way of living/eating, or at least I have, for LONG times, for myself, 6+ years!

You get better at this with trial and error and time!

This is the place to learn! The folk here are great, couldn't do it without them.

This is better than any diet book/cookbook, because it is interactive! And always in motion!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Don't worry, this is confusing to a LOT of folks.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]Pourable Splenda = Granular Splenda GOOD [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]BAD This is half sugar! [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #13
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I was looking at my high carb bourbon ball recipe and realized how much more cocoa this one has in it. I may need to start lighter--my old recipe only used 2T cocoa (with 2.5 cups vanilla wafers and 1 cup powdered sugar). I plan to add some finely ground pecans. Can't find the dutch cocoa around here. Just plain Hershey's or Nestle's cocoa. I'm going to experiment with the first batch today and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jackieba, you are right these are very chocolatey. You might try half the cocoa and taste test (if you aren't too grossed out--I taste just about everything). Good idea to try less cocoa, I didn't compare recipes from the past.

My cocoa wasn't dutch cocoa, either. I was very happy with the results, but might tweak on my next batch.

These are so simple, they could be tweaked many ways.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I googled recipes for rum/bourbon/whisky balls, and there seems to be a wide array of ingredients, with or without chocolate, with pecans, with different cookies, so I think these are very forgiving by nature. Some recipes call for corn syrup, so a pdx syrup or an isomalt syrup might be an option.

I seem to remember Eagle Brand Milk being used too, so maybe half a recipe or 1/4 a recipe of that might be interesting. (Scott123's version.)

I also saw that some are rolled in ground pecans, so I might try that too.

Happy tweaking to all!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Made whisky balls with pecan meal. I added the spices of ginger, nutmeg, and orange oil, a minute amount of oil, in addition to cinnamon and vanilla. I tried to make them without cocoa, but it needed the cocoa for fine powder to bind the pecan meal. I did use less than the recipe above calls for.

I rolled most in pecan meal, but ran out, and then used pourable splenda/xylitol whirred in the mini prep.

They were good, but of course, they are better after a few days. . .so y'all will just have to wait to get the final okay.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #17
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made some whiskey balls yest using only 3 Tbsp cocoa which seemed like plenty to me. I added 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans and rolled in powdered E/granular Splenda. I put them away for a couple days but I think I'll want to tweak more (I did taste one and it was okay but was missing something--I didn't think of cinnamon, I love cinnamon; maybe some cinnamon and more vanilla next time).
Old 10-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bumping for holiday season.