Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Masking taste of Carbquik (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/464189-masking-taste-carbquik.html)

Dixie Barkley 12-13-2006 11:21 AM

Masking taste of Carbquik

Carbquik is an excellent substitute for Bisquick but I just can't get past the taste. Even when I use overpowering ingredients such as hot peppers and hot seasonings I still get a little off-taste. Are there any remedies for this or am I the only one who seems to have sensitive taste buds where Carbquik is concerned? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Nigel 12-13-2006 12:36 PM

vanilla, use a teaspoon per cup of carbquick, even in savory recipes
it does the trick for me

Shevtriz 12-13-2006 12:37 PM

A lot of people say vanilla, but I'm curious what does the "taste" taste like:dunno:

Dixie Barkley 12-13-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shevtriz (Post 7862080)
A lot of people say vanilla, but I'm curious what does the "taste" taste like:dunno:

As my Mother would say, it has a "twang" to it. To me it is just an "off-taste" that to me is objectionable. I realize that everyone's taste buds are different and I have read on this board and other low-carb sites that to some there is an objectional taste.

scott123 12-13-2006 01:33 PM

Dixie, cooking it a little longer helps. The off taste tends to be driven off with longer baking at lower temps. If, say, you're making biscuits, make them flatter than normal and cook them longer at a lower temp. Also, make sure you use a recipe that uses butter, not the one on the box. The butter not only helps them taste better, it prevents them from drying out with the longer baking time.

Dixie Barkley 12-13-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 7862308)
Dixie, cooking it a little longer helps. The off taste tends to be driven off with longer baking at lower temps. If, say, you're making biscuits, make them flatter than normal and cook them longer at a lower temp. Also, make sure you use a recipe that uses butter, not the one on the box. The butter not only helps them taste better, it prevents them from drying out with the longer baking time.

Thank you. I will try this with biscuits. Would you suggest the same for pancakes; lower temp and longer cooking time or would this be tricky. What is your thought on the vanilla suggestion.

scott123 12-13-2006 03:05 PM

Pancakes.... that's a tough one... you really can't cook a pancake that much longer without it drying out. I would recommend adding more butter and cooking them a tiny bit longer, but not much. If that doesn't work... I'd start considering another recipe. Almond flour and vital wheat gluten makes a pretty good pancake. I'm guessing that almond flour and carbquik wouldn't be bad either. Also, I haven't see it yet, but a carbquik/resistant wheat starch/wpi 5000 pancake would be within the realm of possibility.

As far as the vanilla goes, I'm sorry Nigel, but I'm skeptical :)

jackieba 12-14-2006 07:07 AM

For biscuits, have you tried Kevin's recipe (uses wheat resistant starch and wpi 5000 in addition to the carbquick)--It's the only Carbquick biscuit we like.
For pancakes, have you tried Sherrie's recipe and just sub Carbquick for the Atkins mix--it uses cream cheese which masks the flavor and it tastes really good--same taste/texture as high carb pancakes.
http://horseartandgifts.com/jams1.htm

Sorry Nigel but vanilla does not fix the "taste" for me. I think some people are more sensitive to it.

scott123 12-14-2006 01:11 PM

Cream cheese... yes!

Dixie Barkley 12-14-2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieba (Post 7864649)
For biscuits, have you tried Kevin's recipe (uses wheat resistant starch and wpi 5000 in addition to the carbquick)--It's the only Carbquick biscuit we like.
For pancakes, have you tried Sherrie's recipe and just sub Carbquick for the Atkins mix--it uses cream cheese which masks the flavor and it tastes really good--same taste/texture as high carb pancakes.
http://horseartandgifts.com/jams1.htm

Sorry Nigel but vanilla does not fix the "taste" for me. I think some people are more sensitive to it.

I have tried Sherrie's recipe for pancakes and used the Carbquik instead of Atkins mix but I still detected the "off-taste". Maybe I am just super-sensitive to the Carbquik taste.

scott123 12-14-2006 02:36 PM

Dixie, I took a look at Sherrie's recipe. The cream cheese helps add some fat, but I think some butter will help. Carbquik is all about the added fat. The best way of offsetting the taste of the carbquik is to add as much butter/fat as physically possible without ending up with a greasing tasting end product. The more butter you add, the longer you can bake the item without it ending up tasting dry. The longer you can cook the item, the more bad taste is driven off.

I would try something like this:

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
2 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/4 cup carbquik
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T. buttermilk
2 T. melted butter

Good pancake batter should generally be too thick to pour. This is especially important for carbquik where excess moisture augments the off taste. If this recipe pours, omit a tablespoon of buttermilk.

That Girl 12-14-2006 09:15 PM

i feel the same way, carbquik def has an aftertaste that i pick up on. i add cinnamon, vanilla and some caramel, french vanilla or gingerbread divinci's and that has help alot for the pancakes. also, the resistant wheat starch does mask that off taste very well. worth the money if you ask me. by the way if you are missing french toast, you guys have to make it w/kevins white bread. it is great.

Dixie Barkley 12-15-2006 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 7867025)
Dixie, I took a look at Sherrie's recipe. The cream cheese helps add some fat, but I think some butter will help. Carbquik is all about the added fat. The best way of offsetting the taste of the carbquik is to add as much butter/fat as physically possible without ending up with a greasing tasting end product. The more butter you add, the longer you can bake the item without it ending up tasting dry. The longer you can cook the item, the more bad taste is driven off.

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
2 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/4 cup carbquik
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T. buttermilk
2 T. melted butter

Good pancake batter should generally be too thick to pour. This is especially important for carbquik where excess moisture augments the off taste. If this recipe pours, omit a tablespoon of buttermilk.

Thanks. I will certainly try this recipe. I love butter so being told to add more is right up my alley. You indicate 3 tsp. Splenda. Does it make any difference which form ( pourable, packets or liquid) of it I use?

scott123 12-15-2006 09:47 AM

With the exception of fiberfit, any form of spenda will work, as long as it equals 3 teaspoons.

Let me know how it works out. It may not be the 'ultimate' lc pancake recipe, but it should be a marked improvement over the original, at least from a carbquik aftertaste perspective.

Teresa123 12-17-2006 02:55 PM

Scott--I'm trying to get the hang of all these lc products. Just curious, why wouldn't you want to use Fiberfit? Does it not stand up to heat?

scott123 12-17-2006 07:07 PM

Teresa, the wetter the batter, the longer/less likely the off taste of the carbquik will be driven off. Fiberfit adds water to the equation.

jackieba 12-18-2006 09:42 AM

I just realized I tweaked the recipe myself (but then I tweak everything)--
I subbed 1 tablespoon of DaVinci's SF vanilla syrup for the splenda/vanilla
and added 3 drops Sweetzfree and 3 Tbsp MacNut macadamia nut oil. I do like mine pourable though (I preheat my griddle before cooking). It does thicken some if you let it sit before using.

Dixie Barkley 01-03-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 7867025)

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
2 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/4 cup carbquik
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 T. buttermilk
2 T. melted butter

Now the holidays are over I tried the pancake recipe you were so kind to post. However, I still detected the Carbquik off-taste and the pancakes broke apart on me in the frying pan and the look and texture was that of an omelet. I followed the recipe exactly and the batter did have to be spooned into the skillet. I don't know what the breaking apart was caused from it just seemed the pancake was not substantial enough to turn even though it was very brown on the bottom and the top was dry with bubbles as with any pancake. Even if I knew what went wrong I still had the off-taste of the Carbquik. I guess I am just super sensitive to the taste. Again, thank you for your efforts on my behalf.