Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Attn Tweakers - Vanilla Wafer Cake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/464011-attn-tweakers-vanilla-wafer-cake.html)

fauntlen 12-12-2006 01:42 PM

Attn Tweakers - Vanilla Wafer Cake
 
I have this recipe that can believe can be made low carb. However, I am not a baker so I need your suggestions for making it low carb.

Vanilla Wafer Cake

2 sticks margarine
2 C. sugar
6 whole eggs
1 (12 oz.) box of vanilla wafers
1/2 C milk
1 (7 ox.) pkg. flaked coconut
1 C. chopped pecans

Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat after each. Crush the vanilla wafers and add alternately with the milk. Add coconut and chopped pecans.
Bake in greased and floured tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.

CarolynF 12-12-2006 05:17 PM

Hi..

Well, the problem is the vanilla wafers..There are really no boxes of LC cookies that would work for this. And, if you made your own LC cookies, that would be lots of work.

rrosser 12-12-2006 07:50 PM

I don't think anyone has came up with a LC sub for Vanilla Wafers yet have they? Kevin, you think it's possible? Can you come up with one that tastes like the real deal or close enough? :aprayer:

Kevinpa 12-13-2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrosser (Post 7859177)
I don't think anyone has came up with a LC sub for Vanilla Wafers yet have they? Kevin, you think it's possible? Can you come up with one that tastes like the real deal or close enough? :aprayer:

OK Rhonda, I will get you real close as far as taste and basic texture but the the color and whether you want a crunch to your wafer will depend on your oven and playing with baking times and cookie size.



LC Vanilla Wafer (approx 2 dozen wafers) 16 carb for entire batch

2/3 cup carbalose
1 Tablespoon resistant wheat starch
1/8 cup granular erythritol
1/8 cup isomalt
1 Tablespoon not/Sugar
1/2 ts baking powder
pinch of salt

1/2 stick butter; softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 drops sweetzfree
1 egg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift or wisk all dry ingredients together.
In medium bowl with mixer at low speed,
beat butter, vanilla and egg until combined.
Mix in dry ingredients until dough is formed.

Roll dough into 1/2 in balls and place at least 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
With the bottom of a smooth glass, smash balls to make a flat wafer.

On middle rack of oven bake 12 to 16 minutes until cookie are of desired doneness.

Note: The time here will depend on the color and crunch you are looking for in your wafer.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1...illawafers.jpg

magnamater 12-13-2006 06:22 AM

Whoo hooooo!

And guess who will be playing with those trying to get a satisfactory Banana Pudding????? Oh yeah! I forgot, I'm about 5 weeks behind in my cooking lists of to do things. But Banana Pudding is in my top 10 comfort desserts. Of course I won't be using the real thing--bananas--bummer!!!! I don't even think they work for my particular kind of maintenence.

But thanks for working that out!! (while I wait for the WRS to be back in stock. . .it seems that's going around.

24Fan 12-13-2006 07:09 AM

Kevin, those are perfect looking little cookies! I gotta get some of the WPI also to try this recipe out. Thanks, saving that one.

Faunt, I have half a pack of vanilla wafers in cupboad, gonna make the hc recipe for my son today, thanks for the recipe, I'll try halving it.

Zuleikaa 12-13-2006 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 7860163)
Whoo hooooo!

And guess who will be playing with those trying to get a satisfactory Banana Pudding????? Oh yeah! I forgot, I'm about 5 weeks behind in my cooking lists of to do things. But Banana Pudding is in my top 10 comfort desserts. Of course I won't be using the real thing--bananas--bummer!!!! I don't even think they work for my particular kind of maintenence.

But thanks for working that out!! (while I wait for the WRS to be back in stock. . .it seems that's going around.

Protein Pudding and DaVinci's banana syrup would do it.

rrosser 12-13-2006 09:12 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you Kevin! Those look so good and one thing I miss is vanilla wafers with a lil dab of PB. Used to be my favorite before I found out I was diabetic. Who says you can't have your cake, er cookies, and eat them too!! :love:

fauntlen 12-13-2006 09:32 AM

Kevin those cookies look amazing! Thanks for your assistance and the wonderful graphic (yum). I going to try to make the cookies.

24Fan,

The cake is pretty good. My evil twin, ate it....not me! It also had frosting but it was pretty good without it.

Thanks to all who responded to my request.

24Fan 12-13-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauntlen (Post 7861056)
Kevin those cookies look amazing! Thanks for your assistance and the wonderful graphic (yum). I going to try to make the cookies.

24Fan,

The cake is pretty good. My evil twin, ate it....not me! It also had frosting but it was pretty good without it.

Thanks to all who responded to my request.


:rofl:
Well, my 13 yr old loved it! I didnt' put any frosting and made 1/2 a recipe.

Kevinpa 11-13-2007 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bumping for revised recipe....closer taste yet to the real thing. :up:

LC Vanilla Wafer made 3 dozen wafers for approx 20 carb for the batch.

1 1/2 cup lc cake and cookie flour mix
1/8 cup granular erythritol
1/8 cup isomalt or diabetisweet
1/2 tsp splenda quick pack
1/2 ts baking powder
pinch of salt

1/2 stick butter; softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift or wisk all dry ingredients together.
In medium bowl with mixer at low speed,
beat butter, vanilla and egg until combined.
Mix in dry ingredients until dough is formed.

Roll dough into 1/2 in balls and place at least 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
With the bottom of a smooth glass, smash balls to make a flat wafer.

On middle rack of oven bake 12 to 16 minutes until cookie are of desired doneness.

Note: The time here will depend on the color and crunch you are looking for in your wafer.

Barbara Ray 11-13-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 7858681)
Hi..

Well, the problem is the vanilla wafers..There are really no boxes of LC cookies that would work for this. And, if you made your own LC cookies, that would be lots of work.

Although the carb count is higher than Kevin's recipe I have found "Murray" Sugar Free Vanilla Wafers work really well when I make banana pudding. So I would imagine they would be pretty good in the cake.

There are just some times when you simply don't have the time nor the "desire" to make every single ingredient from scratch. For those times I do keep things like this on hand.

However, with that said - I will most likely try Kevins' recipe when I get back in my kitchen - I've taken a "break" from cooking and baking because of a recent injury!

magnamater 11-13-2007 11:34 AM

Thanks, Kevin. . .and as usual, I will ask if this is a dough stiff enough for a roll of slice and bake cookies. . .

Thanks in advance!!!!

Kevinpa 11-13-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 9497502)
Thanks, Kevin. . .and as usual, I will ask if this is a dough stiff enough for a roll of slice and bake cookies. . .

Thanks in advance!!!!

not without chilling a couple hours.

magnamater 11-14-2007 06:45 AM

I get it, thanks. Love the cake/cookie mix, both versions!

Kevinpa 11-14-2007 07:06 AM

I made these to make a crust with for a delicata cheesecake.

magnamater 11-14-2007 10:00 AM

Did you post the recipe. . .IMWTK! I agree delicata beats pumpkin for flavor and texture.

Kevinpa 11-14-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnamater (Post 9502096)
Did you post the recipe. . .IMWTK! I agree delicata beats pumpkin for flavor and texture.

lol :laugh::confused:;) No. I am making it up as we speak!

Tweaker Geek 11-14-2007 05:14 PM

Can't wait for that recipe Kevin. I just bought 2 delicata squash yesterday.
Waiting, patiently!;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM.