Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarno
Converting recipe from powdered sugar to sugar to sweetener

In the process of developing a great chocolate fudge recipe, I am trying to convert 2 cups powdered sugar into an equivalent granulated sugar amount.

From there I will change the recipe to convert that sugar amount to have the feel and taste of sugar using the sweetener trifecta and polyd formula that has been talked about by Scott123 and others.

I don't think the properties of powdered sugar need to be imitated in this fudge recipe. If I could find the granulated sugar equivalent for the powdered sugar I could take it from there.

Any ideas Scott123 or other experts? What is the equivalent for sweetness for powdered sugar as compared to granulated sugar?

Karen
sugarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]I'm certainly no expert, but my Better Homes & Garden cookbook says 1 cup sugar = 2 cups sifted powdered sugar.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Hope that helps.[/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Billie!

I found on some food equivalent charts on the internet
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/yf/foods/he198w.htm

that 1 cup powdered sugar = 3/4 cup sugar. It didn't say if it was sifted or not. I wonder how I should understand this compared to the BHG cookbook?

Anyone else have any info?

Karen
Old 12-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
[COLOR=red]Wow what a difference! I thought the conversion ratio that I found sounded like an awfully big difference. Hmmmmm..........[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]That ratio would be 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar to a cup of sugar, according to a little program that I have. That actually sounds about right. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0000]I do hope that someone else can help. I'll try to do some more checkin too. [/COLOR]
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Billie, I agree with you too that maybe the ratio is 1 to 3/4. But I also agree that I wish someone more knowledgable would help us out on this!

Karen
Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clark153
According the USDA 1 cup of granulated sugar is equal to 200 grams. 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar is equal 100 grams. 1 cup of unsifted powdered sugar is equal 120 grams.

Hope this helps.
clark153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Go with the weight (and USDA) figures as provided by clark153. These are closest to accurate.

Other than the fine grind (which is why more powdered sugar takes up the same space as regular granulated sugar), the powdered sugar has some added starch to keep it from clumping up, and is meant to dissolve more quickly and completely.

As long as your recipe does not rely on either of those two properties, using the same weight of sugar in your recipe will work. You can even measure this yourself, if you have a basic kitchen scale. I can't imagine working in my kitchen without one!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #8

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I have been working on an experiment for about a month now where I have been using fairly high amounts of powdered erythritol in HC recipes that call for confectionary sugar without the typical cooling effect. I don't have the exact science down yet but I believe it possible to make a 1 to 1 sub and control the cooling effect with a combination of gums.
Kevinpa is offline   Reply With Quote