Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Chocolate Strawberry Cheesecake Bites

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this recipe from the recipe room?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...8/cat/6/page/1

I'd like to make it for Christmas, but I'm wondering about the gelatin in the recipe. Don't you have to disolve that stuff? The way I read that recipe, you mix it in with all the other ingredients. I wonder if leaving it out altogether would hurt anything. Or maybe subbing a small amount of Jello Cheesecake instant pudding mix? If I'm going to freeze the "bites" and then coat them in chocolate, I don't think leaving out the gelatin would be bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
This is just my opinion..I would leave the gelatin in because I think it will give them a better consistency. I would take the cream and sprinkle the gelatin on top of it until it dissolves..then mix it with the other ingredients...

Looks like a great recipe.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
If anyone tries it, please let us know how it turns out!
Yummy's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 AM   #4

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I don't recommend trying to soften gelatin over heavy cream. It just sits there and doesn't absorb the liquid. It sounds like they're putting the gelatin in dry. There is no mention of heating anything in the filling. I've never heard of using dry gelatin, but who knows? I've also never heard of Clear Jell. Maybe it's used differently than regular unflavored gelatin.

Ok, I found this online about "Clear Jell" and it's not a low carb product at all:
Quote:
ClearJel® is a modified cornstarch. It was developed for the commercial food industry to withstand the heat necessary to process products such as canned pie filling. ClearJel has been used by food processors for 30 years or more.

ClearJel requires heating to produce the thickening process. Maximum thickness is reached upon cooling and it resists weeping during storage.

ClearJel is the only thickener the USDA recommends for use in home-canning of fruit pie fillings. It does not break down and become thin when used in home-canned pie fillings. Instant ClearJel is not recommended in home canning since it tends to break down during processing.

Manufacturer recommends ClearJel as an equal replacement for cornstarch in uncanned pie fillings baked at home. However, ClearJel is not recommended for frozen pie fillings.

Ingredients: Modified corn starch
It has 4 carbs per tablespoon according to that site. I also found this info that contradicts the above quote in that ClearJel doesn't need to be cooked or heated:
Quote:
Clear Jel is a specially processed Amioca starch. It has been pre-gelatinized (pre-cooked) and will swell or thicken instantly without cooking. It creates exceptional clarity, smoothness of texture with little or no starchy taste when used in a variety of ways in food preparation. It has a wide viscosity range. Constituencies of food can be changed from very thin to thick by simple starch adjustments. The nutritional value of Clear Jel is that of carbohydrate: such as cornstarch. Its calorie contents are the same as other carbohydrates, which is 4 calories per gram. This food starch has been on the commercial market for 25-30 years. Clear Jel is an amazing food starch that thickens foods instantly without cooking. It resembles cornstarch and the results are similar, however, Clear Jel offers many major advantages to your cooking preparations.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #5

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hmmm..maybe she should skip the gelatin..

I didn't know that about gelatin and cream..thanks, Linda.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Yeah, I thought those directions were weird...

I'm wondering about the sugar free instant Cheesecake pudding mix...a couple of teaspoons maybe, just to help it set up. I'll probably try it this weekend.

Thanks for your input!
decodiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 AM   #7

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Yeah, I thought those directions were weird...

I'm wondering about the sugar free instant Cheesecake pudding mix...a couple of teaspoons maybe, just to help it set up. I'll probably try it this weekend.

Thanks for your input!
I think the pudding mix might work, but bear in mind that you'd be adding cornstarch if you use it so you're really not much better off than using that stuff the author used. It's just that pudding mix is more readily available.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:01 AM   #8

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
What about using strawberry jello in place of the gelatin? I sprinkle the dry crystals into yougurt with no problems.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookingCajun
Stats: 170/125/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-1-06
I agree with the strawberry jello powder idea. That would give you the strawberry flavor and whatever strength/substance the jello part gives. The photo looks delish and I plan to try this sometime.

Thanks!!!!
CookingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coolrobi
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Hi all!
I used this recipe but changed it up a bit. Using pecan, butter, and Splenda as my crust. I used Davinci SF praline syrup for my flavoring and the gelatin dry. I then took a low carb chocolate bar grated it and sprinkled it on top. Yummy!!! I used mini cupcake holders. Just right for a 2 bite dessert!

Just wondering if anyone has tried this recipe from the recipe room?
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake Bites - LowCarbFriends Recipes

I'd like to make it for Christmas, but I'm wondering about the gelatin in the recipe. Don't you have to disolve that stuff? The way I read that recipe, you mix it in with all the other ingredients. I wonder if leaving it out altogether would hurt anything. Or maybe subbing a small amount of Jello Cheesecake instant pudding mix? If I'm going to freeze the "bites" and then coat them in chocolate, I don't think leaving out the gelatin would be bad.

Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA.
coolrobi is offline   Reply With Quote