Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Two questions about celery

Hi all,
I had two quick questions about celery.

I eat a lot of celery now, a few stalks in the morning and sometimes more in the evening if I'm making a salad or soup. I can't seem to find any information on the health benefits of celery. I'm just curious because I eat so much of it, I'd like to get a sense how good it's doing me healthwise .

Also, I buy a lot of celery and I've noticed the last few batches have been fairly bitter. I don't mind a little bitterness but this has been almost uneatable. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the celery to take out the bitterness. Also, I've been buying regular celery although I do see organic celery hearts in the supermarket. I haven't been buying them mainly because they can get pricey, especially since I buy 2 or 3 bags of celery a week. But maybe the organic will be less bitter? I had celery this morning and I was concerned because it almost had a chemical-like bitter aftertaste .

Thanks!
Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SNuGGiE
If its a chemical like aftertaste then I'd say that could be taken care of by buying organic. I found this website on the health benefits of celery: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...healthbenefits
SNuGGiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Snuggie - according to this website, if the celery has a stem, it tends to make it bitter, but I'm going to try and buy organic celery and see how that works.

Tam
Old 12-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: coxbowen
Stats: 230/146/120 ***5'
WOE: CAD....had TT/BL 3/24/08
Start Date: 12/18/05...restart cad one meal a day. 3/07
Maybe it's the season? I buy and eat 2 stalks everyday for fiber reason, grown to really like it plain, mine are bitter with a funny taste too!
coxbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

plus I've heard several times that you burn lots of calories chewing celery....more than what is in the celery itself.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
All I know about celery is that it is a diuretic, so it's good for you. Maybe try sauteeing some up and see if the bitter goes away. I too, think it's the time of year. It seems to taste much better during the summertime.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lacey01
WOE: Atkins
Tammay I have had the SAME problem? Unbearable, so it's not just mine. I usually can eat celery with no problem. And it's really dark green and skinny.
Lacey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
I buy celery hearts from Trader Joe's. They are always great (not bitter), and they last a long time. I bought celery hearts from my grocer's once(thinking they'd be good, too), but they were bitter and did not last as long (?)

So...I make the trip to TJ's every week for our celery. It's just better
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckyduck
I have noticed that the greener the celery, the more bitter it is. When I buy the palest green I can find, it usually tastes just fine.

Also, if the outer stalks are bitter, the inner stalks (which are paler), are usually not as bitter. You can also munch on the leaves, BTW.

Last edited by luckyduck; 12-05-2006 at 06:02 AM..
luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I buy my celery organic because it is one of the top vegetables that are high in pesticides which cannot be washed away. But you can get bitter organic celery too. If you see a seedstem in the center of the celery instead of tiny little stalks, it will cause the celery to taste bitter. Any yes, celery is full of nutrients.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/130
WOE: Low carb & actos
Start Date: 3/05
I just had a nutritionist tell me that celery has a lot of sodium in it. I was shocked.
Sassay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Celery does have a higher amount of sodium than most vegetables, but why would that be bad? Our bodies do need sodium. It's the high levels of sodium chloride from processed salt that we should be concerned about.
Criosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I buy the hearts from Trader Joe's too and haven't ever had a bitter bunch.

I don't worry about the sodium in celery - our bodies REQUIRE sodium to function. It's all the ADDED salt in processed foods I'd rather avoid.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Also, I buy a lot of celery and I've noticed the last few batches have been fairly bitter. I don't mind a little bitterness but this has been almost uneatable. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to the celery to take out the bitterness.

i have found that if i buy the lighter green stalks they are less bitter. the deep green ones are too stringy and bitter..hth
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I just had some celery today and I got it at Winco, the cheapo store whose not concerned much w/ "quality" and they tasted good to me! Doesn't cooking the celery get rid of the bitterness?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

OK, I bought celery hearts, one pack regular at Walmart and one pack organic at my local supermarket (Walmart didn't have it organic). Haven't tried the organic one yet but did try the nonorganic and so far it's fine. A tad of a strong "celery" taste but none of the chemical-like bitterness I was tasting before (guess when you get to the hearts, it fades away ). I'll try the organic one tomorrow and see how that one is. I hate to buy celery hearts mainly because they're twice the price and I buy a lot since I eat a lot but if they're better tasting, then it's worth it.

And my local grocer told me something interesting about organic celery - aparently, there was this big stink because they suddenly found out the organic celery people were in fact putting some kind of pesticide in the celery and so it was pulled off the market and they haven't had it for a few weeks (although another supermarket did). It's sad to think even something that is "certifiably organic" isn't always anymore .

And I did notice that when I cook celery the bitterness does go away. But who has time to cook celery in the morning ?

Tam
Old 12-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Worldchanger
Stats: 262/199/168
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNuGGiE View Post
If its a chemical like aftertaste then I'd say that could be taken care of by buying organic. I found this website on the health benefits of celery: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...healthbenefits
THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK VERY INTERESTING
Worldchanger is offline   Reply With Quote