Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Best Kitchen Appliance for Low Carbing? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/460318-best-kitchen-appliance-low-carbing.html)

tlcpinkone 11-19-2006 08:32 PM

Best Kitchen Appliance for Low Carbing?

Just wondering what the everyone thinks is the best kitchen appliance they have that has helped them with low carbing?

megpie 11-19-2006 08:34 PM

crockpot was always my favorite. That and a george foreman grill

Purple Sage 11-19-2006 09:01 PM

Just a clean kitchen. If I keep my kitchen clean I am more likely to cook. Works wonders. I also love my george foreman grill and a good set of nonstick pans...

Teresa123 11-19-2006 09:02 PM

Magic bullet---just got it and have used it a ton already and I'm very pleased with it!

theredhead 11-19-2006 09:10 PM

I love my Hamilton Beach tabletop grill (similar to Foreman's). I use it almost every day to cook chicken tenders, hamburger patties, and pork chops. I have the removable grids, which is a great help. Also, after awhile, things started sticking to it and it was harder to clean. My DD22 suggested trying Pam spray for Grills. Lo, and behold, it works MUCH better than regular Pam.:up:

BlueBrooke 11-19-2006 09:13 PM

My fridge. Most of what I bring home from the grocery store has to go in there -- it's stuffed. :laugh:

My_Sharona 11-19-2006 10:22 PM

Crockpot :heart:

pamhart 11-19-2006 10:23 PM

Counter-top grill, and also my blender :)

emijan 11-19-2006 10:33 PM

Ounce and Gram scale ($30 at walmart). Really taught me what is a serving size and helped me with portion control.

HappyisNow 11-19-2006 11:52 PM

George Foreman Grill, and egg cooker (i'm lazy) :)

Vienna 11-20-2006 12:19 AM

Blender, egg cooker, raclette, and oven proof frying pan! And a large fridge which I don'T have- in Europe the fridges are tiny- I think they market to Oompah Loompahs! :hyst:

mamachi 11-20-2006 12:27 AM

George Foreman grill, Magic Bullet and Showtime Rotisserie

SingingLass 11-20-2006 12:39 AM

I like using a grill as well, bought a new one before I started low-carb again. I have a little mini food processor I use for when I make soups etc....and am thinking a magic bullet or food processor would be good. I also have a stove-top grill I use...got it brand new for a buck at a garage sale---it basically is two parts, a base with a pan you fill with water, and then the top that is the grill, and you put it over a burner. Good for grilling vegies or kabobs indoors. Ooh. I think that is what I will do for dinner tomorrow. ::grin::

SkeeterN 11-20-2006 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlcpinkone (Post 7769539)
Just wondering what the everyone thinks is the best kitchen appliance they have that has helped them with low carbing?

Food processor. I have worn out this one and soon to have to buy a new one. I make so many cheesecakes I don't even bother taking it off my counter anymore.

wrinkledrose 11-20-2006 07:31 AM

My 8-inch Griswold cast iron fry pans are used more than anything else in the kitchen, but I would have a hard time living without my food processer!

JONAH'S GRANNY 11-20-2006 07:32 AM

Food Scale.

HarleyLady 11-20-2006 07:41 AM

MY FOOD Processer for my veggies...

JuliaL 11-20-2006 07:48 AM

I vote for food scale! It's really the only thing I use now that I didn't use before low carbing.

daisymaiz 11-20-2006 07:55 AM

GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL!! I don't know what I ever did without it. I am considering buying myself a bigger one as a reward sometime soon.

CurveControl 11-20-2006 08:04 AM

Bullett, Grill and crock pot.
Of the 3 The bullett is the only thing 'new' to my kitchen expressly for LC cooking.

daisymaiz 11-20-2006 08:08 AM

What is this "bullet" that everyone keeps talking about??

healthylowcarbin 11-20-2006 08:13 AM

I definitely agree with the scale being #1

A real convenience for me is my microwave oven. It has a grill in it and a convection oven as well. It holds up to 6 chicken breasts or 6 large hamburgers at a time and grills them to perfection in about 20 minutes. I can also bake in the microwave, using the convection oven and it is much quicker than the regular oven. It also doesn't heat up my kitchen which is a big bonus in the summertime.

I've also seen similar microwave ovens with a Rotisserie included which I may get when I need to replace my current microwave.

Dixie Barkley 11-20-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telemetrynurse (Post 7770228)
I definitely agree with the scale being #1

A real convenience for me is my microwave oven. It has a grill in it and a convection oven as well. It holds up to 6 chicken breasts or 6 large hamburgers at a time and grills them to perfection in about 20 minutes. I can also bake in the microwave, using the convection oven and it is much quicker than the regular oven. It also doesn't heat up my kitchen which is a big bonus in the summertime.

I've also seen similar microwave ovens with a Rotisserie included which I may get when I need to replace my current microwave.

I have never heard of a microwave that grills or is a convection oven too. What brand is it? Do you get a grilled flavor with meats and veggies? I guess this is like having a "triple-threat" appliance.

SkeeterN 11-20-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuliaL (Post 7770057)
I vote for food scale! It's really the only thing I use now that I didn't use before low carbing.

Doing Atkins I have never measured anything. Just counted carbs and now just watch my carb intake.

Charski 11-20-2006 11:05 AM

I could never choose just one - but faves are my Cuisinart (artisan bread, mashed caulitaters, shredded cheeses), Vitamix (for making flax meal out of flax seeds), both microwaves (I have TWO in the kitchen and one in the family room!), Showtime Rotisserie, electric knife, foldaway slicer, and especially my big OLD cast iron skillet - it belonged to DH's mother and it is as nonstick as any pan I've ever owned!

Charski 11-20-2006 11:06 AM

Oh yeah and my KitchenAid stand mixer, which I use to grind all my own beef with the grinding attachment! Boy brisket or tri-tip ground up makes the BEST ground beef ever!

Nigel 11-20-2006 12:18 PM

coffee grinder, but not for coffee

jokath 11-20-2006 02:16 PM

My Magic Bullet and a very nice foodscale. I weigh everything instead of trying to measure it out, it makes it so much easier and more accurate.

momov2boys 11-20-2006 02:27 PM

I couldn't live without my:

food scale
crockpot
&
microwave

:)

sallyT 11-20-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 7771725)
coffee grinder, but not for coffee

Coffee grinder for me also :up: I use it to grind almonds for almond flour and walnut for flour also. OH I can't forget about my George Forman grill.

To the poster who posted about using Pam for grills :shake: I've been having terrible trouble with mine since my SIL started using it, she was washing it in the faucet :stars: :stars: till I caught her in the act. I don't know how many times I told her to just wipe it down while it's still hot.
I will try your suggestion!!